possible new product. custom road race style hood vents!!

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Nope. Never gonna do the road race thing...I dont think I could cut my hood up like that...

Last edited:

orgotek

Established Member
interested, i wonder what they would look like if the vents were cut to match the larger angle of the louver plate. like more rectangular, but shorter on the bottom of the holes and longer on the top.

Burninout101

Established Member
Could design the vent plate with screws already welded in place on the bottom to maintain a flush look on the top..An idea none the less...

Should be a great product!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'm wondering if they'd function even better if they were more of a louvered design?

i was thinking the same thing. This way, they would function using the same technique as the stock heat extractor does, using a high pressure airstream to suck the low pressure air out.

This design it looks like air would go over the stock heat extractors and then fall back into the aftermarket slit vents. A louvered design would deflect that airflow back over the vents and create more high pressure.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
i was thinking the same thing. This way, they would function using the same technique as the stock heat extractor does, using a high pressure airstream to suck the low pressure air out.

This design it looks like air would go over the stock heat extractors and then fall back into the aftermarket slit vents. A louvered design would deflect that airflow back over the vents and create more high pressure.

Exactly. If you want to see the best way to make a stock '03-'04 hood pull some heat, check out racebronco2's work - linky. Carlos modifies the hood by laying up more fiber glass, deepening the holes, and building up the sides. The stock hood already works great, but for road racing applications, this can really moves some air out. I'm afraid the design in the OP will only force air back into the engine bay. Though, I have no data to prove it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just checked Carlos' design and IMO it looks awesome. And it is definitely a mod that works. Love it with the stainless mesh insert.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
i actually saw his car the other day in santa clarita, looked really good :beer:
i'd love to get some news on them too :)

When and where did you see it??? Was the car moving or parked??? Was the car clean at least??? You should have stopped and said hello!!! :??:

:beer:

Later...Dave

20psirabbit

Established Member
It was a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, I think it was at whites canyon and via princessa. I was working and I looked in my mirror at the stoplight and there was a sonic blue coupe with these vents. I literally saw it and said "oh WTF" haha. I would've said hello but I was crazy worn out from work and didn't really want to bother you.
But the car looked really good! :beer: so will you be doing these vents? I know you said you were busy moving or something, so I wasn't sure if you decided not to or if you were just busy still.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
It was a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, I think it was at whites canyon and via princessa. I was working and I looked in my mirror at the stoplight and there was a sonic blue coupe with these vents. I literally saw it and said "oh WTF" haha. I would've said hello but I was crazy worn out from work and didn't really want to bother you.
But the car looked really good! :beer: so will you be doing these vents? I know you said you were busy moving or something, so I wasn't sure if you decided not to or if you were just busy still.

LOL...everybody that sees these in person...usually likes them. It's funny, I get alot of car enthusiasts that are in front of me at lights that actually slow down and let me get next to them...just to give me the thumbs up or ask me about the hood. The car looks pretty sinister in the rear view mirror with all the changes I made in the front!!!

I haven't ruled out a production run but other projects, including a new marriage, new house and new career have slowed me down a bit in the grand scheme of things. Life is really kickin' my ass lately but maybe it's time to kick back??? I guess I'll touch base with Steve sooner than later???

Are you in the SCV often...maybe you can check them out up close some time???

:beer:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Looks good to me, ........ just don't know if I have the balls to cut my hood.

Thanks!!! Yep...big balls. I was worried that I would end up cracking the hood in the process. But the hood is pretty thick and sturdy to begin with. It's not your average aftermarket glass hood...Ford made these strong. The key to the whole process is to take your time, measure twice and file/sand all the edges and bolt holes. This keeps the fiberglass from cracking. I had the underside of the hood painted once I knew there wasn't any hair-line fractures or cracks forming under the vents. No problems in well over a year now!!!

:rolling:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

20psirabbit

Established Member
Well I just live in Palmdale so it's not too far away... Yeah I could definitely come meet up sometime. Work has been crazy lately, but otherwise I'm usually down to take the cobra for a drive when I get a chance :rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is this going to happen??

Depending on price I may be interested. If not I'm pretty sure I can make my own with louvers though to enhance the negative air pressure extraction. I may use an after market or junk yard hood though. Mystichrome isn't all that cheap to spray.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Awesome design and engineering.. looks like a great product but I think you'll find it hard to find a lot of cobra owners willing to hack into their hood..

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I love the concept, and it really does not look as bad as I thought it would when I heard about this thread. I think that the design has real potential, and will definitely function. Like others, just not sure if I have the balls to cut the hood.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread