So I Sprayed a Hertz vette and raced a GT-R

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
As much as I miss going there, its important to note that Qualcom is not a track... its a parking lot with four 1/8th mile lanes and a tree :-D. The times posted by the Vette were atrocious. I was able to run consistant 8.3X at Qualcom at full DD weight when I still had the Eaton, 6# lower and other bolt-ons.

OP... not :cuss: you, but you must have known that you were setting yourself up for failure racing a car that excels at the long end of the track and racing it on a short track. Not to mention lining up next to a car that should have no traction issues what-so-ever. All the power in the world is useless if you can't get it to the ground. Why didn't you take a more logical approach and work on traction mods? I suspect a combination of OEM power output and traction would have yielded much less embarrassing results for the American muscle. Good job giving the GT-R groupies more reason to think that the GT-R is the end-all, be-all :-D.

I must give you a :thumbsup: though, spraying the rental car was great.

S197man

Established Member
S197man, if they had fried the motor with the nitrous then how would the rental company have found out? I'm sure in the event that it happened, they would have removed the nitrous kit and not posted the video.

Oh they would have found out... The engine would have been torn down and assesed- not by Hertz, but by a trusted mechanic/performance shop. Trust me, I've seen situations that you woould not believe-- engines being shipped to Germany (foriegn cars) to be assesed, etc.. Something like a burnt ring or valve isn't going to come from normal operation, so that would be a red flag. You get the point. If it is ruled under "abnormal or extreme operation" or in this case "tampering", you can hang it up.

And most importantly, he was racing on a DRAG STRIP which automatically would screw him. If the car was 100% bone stock and he rented it, took it to the strip, and then fryed it/wrecked it, he'd be buying a new Corvette as well. No sympathy for enclosed course accidents.

BajaBoy

Established Member
Oh they would have found out... The engine would have been torn down and assesed- not by Hertz, but by a trusted mechanic/performance shop. Trust me, I've seen situations that you woould not believe-- engines being shipped to Germany (foriegn cars) to be assesed, etc.. Something like a burnt ring or valve isn't going to come from normal operation, so that would be a red flag. You get the point. If it is ruled under "abnormal or extreme operation" or in this case "tampering", you can hang it up.

And most importantly, he was racing on a DRAG STRIP which automatically would screw him. If the car was 100% bone stock and he rented it, took it to the strip, and then fryed it/wrecked it, he'd be buying a new Corvette as well. No sympathy for enclosed course accidents.

did he sign off on anything stating the car will not be raced etc? i could see him getting out of the blown motor so easy. for the fact that (except the vid) there is Zero proof that the damage wasnt dont from a previous rental. unless like you say, some guy tears apart the motor everytime the car come back lol. remember, you can only convict what you can prove.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Couple things, i saw a civic lose to a crown vic cop car and a mustang with neons.

Awesome vid.

rem177

Established Member
rip off.

I like how the guy in the video even says '....is the FIRST guy to put nitrous in a rental corvette'

this exact same thing was done in the original 'Scandalous Racing' DVD. Chicago street racer Marko D went down to Florida, rented a vette, used a hidden kit - and hustled two locals out of their money.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
S197man, can you show any kind of documented proof at all that anything like this has happened, the motor blew, and it was torn down. Then, based on the assessment from the shop they decided that it was "abnormal abuse" and then took the renter to court and won and he had to buy the company a whole new car?

Also, how would they know that he had the car on the racetrack unless he posted the vid, which he wouldn't have done if it had blown up?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just find this very hard to believe.

Last edited:

98z71

Established Member
Well I have one thing to say. I know you had fun, and I would be tempted to do a similar thing. I just want you to know that you may not want to do this ever again.

My father is a Hertz manager and has been for 51 years. In the accident of you detonating that engine, you'd figure that you'd have to buy them just a new engine, correct? Wrong.

You'd have to buy them a NEW CORVETTE. Hertz will write off the car as totaled and auction off the parts/body.

And yes, all expenses would be on you since you installed the nitrous, etc. lol

And NO, insurance will not cover a nitrous accident. Insurance only covers a 100% stock car. Plus, you were racing it, which would even screw you more.

Really, Insurance companies wont cover a nitrous accident? Only 100% stock car.

I work for state farm and I myself have written cars that were wrecked due to total idiocy that were far from stock and in some cases we payed for the aftermarket accessories.

Also remember a video of a yellow corvette which blew up on a nitrous fire at the track... He got a new car thanks to insurance.

On a further note I have wrecked a modified car @ 90 mph not only did Allstate pay for the car, they payed for the mods on the car.:nonono:

S197man

Established Member
S197man, can you show any kind of documented proof at all that anything like this has happened, the motor blew, and it was torn down. Then, based on the assessment from the shop they decided that it was "abnormal abuse" and then took the renter to court and won and he had to buy the company a whole new car?

Also, how would they know that he had the car on the racetrack unless he posted the vid, which he wouldn't have done if it had blown up?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just find this very hard to believe.

How many people did you see in the stands at the track? If i recall, the dumbass announcer said that it was a rental running nitrous very loudly. All it takes is one wrong spectator. He may have gotten lucky that time.

Stuff like this has been going on since the early '60's with the first GT350H's. My Dad remembers people spraying those and the new H's. I will try to get him to send a pdf or something, or at least bring some paperwork for me to scan. It may be after the holidays though. It's real, and people should realize before spraying a 100shot to a rental car.

S197man

Established Member
Really, Insurance companies wont cover a nitrous accident? Only 100% stock car.

I work for state farm and I myself have written cars that were wrecked due to total idiocy that were far from stock and in some cases we payed for the aftermarket accessories.

Also remember a video of a yellow corvette which blew up on a nitrous fire at the track... He got a new car thanks to insurance.

On a further note I have wrecked a modified car @ 90 mph not only did Allstate pay for the car, they payed for the mods on the car.:nonono:

:thumbsup: I guess that's the difference between State Farm/Allstate and The Carlisle Group. The CG will handle claims the way they see fit, and they will come out on top, regardless from what I've seen. (they handle thier own business- nothing is outsourced insurance wise)

TakeAwayTheFear

Stabbing the Drama
Established Member
lame video and lame track if you can call it that... it is a parking lot and its not NOS its nitrous nos is a brand ..... lame.

craz1469

So Slow
Established Member
They used a Harris speed works kit. I had the same thing on my car and it worked great, hardly the worst nitrous system ever.

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
rip off.

I like how the guy in the video even says '....is the FIRST guy to put nitrous in a rental corvette'

this exact same thing was done in the original 'Scandalous Racing' DVD. Chicago street racer Marko D went down to Florida, rented a vette, used a hidden kit - and hustled two locals out of their money.

I was thinking that but couldn't remember where I saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread