The Dreaded Drip.......... 95R and 00R Fuel Safe cells, tick, tick, tick.............

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i know around here we take ours there if we have crap in them (like if someone pulls the ol' sugar in the tank). we pop them out at work then run them down and have them washed out.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

I'm not sure exactly what angles you need, but here is one I took a couple of weeks ago.

Picture1018.gif

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It is out of the car :banana::banana:, It took me about 2 hours, maybe an hour and a half, including getting the jack, stands and creeper out of the rear garage and figuring out what needs to be undone. The biggest amount of time was spent getting the fuel line tool to work and getting the main fuel line and return line disconnected.

The pictures and information I add are for those who have emailed and PM'ed me wanting to know what this is all about, and what time it takes to do such a job. Some were also interested in views of the cell itself that are not visible "in the car".

I will be adding pictures throughout the weekend. My fuel cell is competely gutted (all old/leaking parts removed), flushed with water, and ready to be ship to Fuel Safe, if I do not do the parts install here in Florida.

Picture1045-1-1.gif

Picture1046.gif

The side view is where the fuel filler tube fits. That large black seal is not a Fuel Safe part. It has a F4Z Ford part number on it. I have heard that it costs approx. $55 from Ford, so if possible you don't want to damage it. I will add better pictures of it later.

Picture1047.gif

Picture1048.gif

The weep hole (upper left) is visible in this up-side-down picture of the cell. This is where fuel was dripping from my cell.

Picture1066.gif

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Rob,

That black rubber seal is the one that is a problem on these cars and easily leaks. Fuel Safe had a different part for that we documented a couple of years ago on a thread. The Ford item was a requirement for easy assembly I am sure.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Rob,

That black rubber seal is the one that is a problem on these cars and easily leaks. Fuel Safe had a different part for that we documented a couple of years ago on a thread. The Ford item was a requirement for easy assembly I am sure.

Tom

Yes, Gary at Fuel Safe said their part is the plate with a welded elbow. No flexibility there.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
After I removed all of the bolts and plates, bagging and labeling them I pushed in on the inner liner, it cracked and fell apart. No wonder my cell had started to leak....................

Picture1058.gif

Picture1059.gif

The view through the access hole after the sending unit and oval plate have been removed. Note the blue anti fuel slosh foam.<<Tom, Mark I know that is the function of this foam, does it have a specific name?

Picture1057.gif

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When you talk to Mark about fixing your leaking fuel cell, he is going to mention "foam", this is the foam...........

Picture1061.gif

The mess................

Picture1060.gif

The deteriorated liner..........

Picture1062.gif

IMO, it was not a big deal removing the foam and liner, and then flushing it with water. Installing the new stuff will be a completely different story, I have a feeling.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
cool be sure to show us some installation pics as well

We'll see, Fuel Safe might be doing the installation. Marks deal includes Fuel Safe doing the install of new parts and the bare cell is so light with nothing in it, it probably won't be a huge shipping charge to send it to them. BUT, if I do the install locally, I will be taking complete pictures for sure. I have been told that the install is a "pia", "PIA" and also "not too bad".

I'm not sure that I want to throw my tank into the shipping system at the beginning of the Christmas rush, so I will probably wait until early Jan. to move forward. At least this car is not dripping fuel anymore, and smelling up the garage.

R

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Robert:

I'm very impressed!! :-D I didn't know you wrenched on your cars!!? :rockon:

You'd make a good Track Dawg, in case you were wondering? :idea:

That fuel cell looks very much like the one in the 2000 R. I wonder if anyone (Mark?) knows if they are the same?

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Fuel Cell.....

People keep refuring to the fuel cell as being a 21-22 gallon capacity. I thought they were 20 gal. :shrug:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert:

I'm very impressed!! :-D I didn't know you wrenched on your cars!!? :rockon:

You'd make a good Track Dawg, in case you were wondering? :idea:

That fuel cell looks very much like the one in the 2000 R. I wonder if anyone (Mark?) knows if they are the same?

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

I take the "Track Dawg" as a compliment. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

I wrenched on the old cars when I owned them. It was completely different taking this car apart, I didn't have to use any Blaster spray, and then a torch after rounding off nuts and bolts.

Fuel Safe says the 95R bladder and 00R bladder are different. The 95R part number has an "A" as a suffix, the 00R a "B".

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
People keep refuring to the fuel cell as being a 21-22 gallon capacity. I thought they were 20 gal. :shrug:

If I have refered to the 95R cell somewhere, as being 22 gal. I was wrong.

The original SVT documentation for the 95R says 20 gal.

The original SVT documentation for the 00R says 21 gal.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The cleaned tank, ready for a new bladder and foam.

Picture1067.gif

I had mentioned that the insulator strip on one of my straps had become fuel soaked while the cell seeped/leaked fuel. Fuel Safe will provide the correct 3M single sided insulator strip(s), but you have to tell Mark that you need them when he orders you parts.

For those who have not looked under their 95R, only one fuel cell strap (right side) unbolts completely, the other has one bolt behind the differential and then a "hinge" point at the rear.<<This makes the fuel tank removal slightly awkward since the left strap is dangling behind the tank, but it's not a big deal.

Below is the result of fuel on these strips.............

Picture1077.gif

Picture1076.gif

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
This is the Ford part that is $55. Tom mentioned that it had been discussed a couple of years ago, and that it can be a source of a leak. Mine was not.

Here are pictures...............

Picture1054.gif

Picture1055.gif

Last but not least, (for right now) if you are anal, and you find that there are nicks in your fuel cell, mine had a couple very small ones where the powder coat had chipped on a migged corner, etc. This paint matches the Semi-Gloss Black finish on the fuel cell very well...................

Picture1072.gif

R

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
Robert,

If you ship it, build a box out of 1x3 furring strips and 1/4 Oriented Strand Board(OSB). With that, you'll give it a bit more crush-scuff-ding protection. I've seen UPS crush way to many things. Thanks for the pics, I know the 00R will be needing this in the not so distant future.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread