The Dreaded Drip.......... 95R and 00R Fuel Safe cells, tick, tick, tick.............

Cobra-R

Established Member
Robert,

As long as you have it apart, pull the filter (sock) off the end of the fuel pump and there is a screen in behind there. Check it and clean it out as long as everything is apart.
I have had to drop the fuel cell (at the track) a couple times throughout the years to clean that in the 95R.

Brian

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The 95R and 2000R cells are VERY different. I've got the cell out of my 93R right now (it's a 95R cell) and I have a 00R cell in storage. I'll see if I can get some pictures for comparison. There are very obvious differences in the construction.

Rob - I'm amazed at how bad your cell looks Rob. I've never seen one that bad!

r82of250

Established Member
Rob - I'm amazed at how bad your cell looks Rob. I've never seen one that bad!

Robert's cell looks exactly like mine when I pulled it a couple of years ago. The bladder appears to be coated with a urethane-type coating that seperates from the canvas and cracks into little pieces.

Robert, are you replacing the pump and filter while you're at it?

As far as getting the new bladder back in the can, it's kinda like stuffing 20 lbs of S### into a 5 lb bag. Possible but not pleasant!

Dean

grape

Established Member
that thing wasn't even kevlar. that was the cheap material that ATL and fuel safe use on the sportsman level cells. they also make fast fill foam if anybody needs it for pitstop stuff.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Rob,

WHAT A MESS!!! When I took my bladder out it was a yellow semi-transparent material with a mesh visible in it. Sorta like bare fiberglass only flexible--somewhat. That is the part that is tough. At least on my bladder it wasn't very flexible so it was a pain to stuff down in that little hole.

Have fun!

Tom

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
cant you still get a entire replacement tank for the R's from the FRPP catolog? say if someone wanted to take the factory out, flushed and sealed, so if you ever sold the car the factory one was still intact, then they would worry about fixing the factory tank.....jsut a thought

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
what is the part number for the bladder.I might just have to order one and have it ready to replace .Stan

I quickly wrote down the part number while I was talking to the Fuel Safe rep. so I am not positive that it is correct, but I think it is:

RBSA110A for the 95R
RBSA110B for the 00R

^^^^^^^^I think, Mark can verify.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
cant you still get a entire replacement tank for the R's from the FRPP catolog? say if someone wanted to take the factory out, flushed and sealed, so if you ever sold the car the factory one was still intact, then they would worry about fixing the factory tank.....jsut a thought

A person could do that. Actually Fuel Safe has new fuel cells and the attachment straps for these cars, as a kit on their website. I do not know what the cost would be, but it seems that it would be less expensive to re-bladder and re-foam the existing correct tank that came in the car. Yes, the original leaking tank could be stored, but then you have to find a place to store a fuel cell that is used, and leaking. I would guess that this would be of less value at sale time when compared the correct dated original fully functioning cell being in place. Personally, I would rather fix my correct cell and have it back in the car, that's just my opinion.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Christmas gifts for that special person, real special, or I should say "unique"......

A necklace and bracelet's for the wife in white gold???

Mark - Do these come as part of the new bladder assy.? or do these old flanges get reused?

Picture1073-1.gif

What about these fittings?

Picture1074-1.gif

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert, are you replacing the pump and filter while you're at it?
Dean

Dean - Definitely the fuel filter, I bought one from Ford today. I hope with only 800 or so original miles on this car, and just a small amount of stain on the sock, that this original pump assy. will be fine. I did not notice any debris in the inner bladder area, or around the fuel pick-up area of the fuel cell. All of that "stuff" that crumbled was on the outside.

Robert,

As long as you have it apart, pull the filter (sock) off the end of the fuel pump and there is a screen in behind there. Check it and clean it out as long as everything is apart.
I have had to drop the fuel cell (at the track) a couple times throughout the years to clean that in the 95R.

Brian

Brian - I looked at the fuel pump assy. this afternoon. How do you remove the sock. I was afraid to apply too much pressure since it is 12 year old plastic. I did see the four 5mm screws on the long u-shaped bracket that holds the pump assy. together. How do I get to the screen that you mentioned?

I have not cleaned the sock, this is how it looked when I took the pump out.

Picture1080.gif

Thanks, R

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Robert,

Could you post a picture of the original level sender. I want to see if it is the same as what is in my tank and if so I have some interesting pictures to show you guys.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,

Could you post a picture of the original level sender. I want to see if it is the same as what is in my tank and if so I have some interesting pictures to show you guys.

Mark - I have not seperated my sender from the oval access panel yet. It helps to protect the float at this time. Let me know if there are other views needed........................

Picture1083.gif

Picture1085.gif

R

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I was afraid that is what it looked like. Not going to be a problem for you Robert but for those driving/open tracking their R's I ran across an interesting situation this summer. My sender stopped working and I assumed it had a piece of foam stuck on it or something. When I pulled my sender plate out that whole piece of metal had broken off and was just moving around in my cell. I'll take some pictures after the first of the year and post the fix I came up with.

Cobra-R

Established Member
I was afraid that is what it looked like. Not going to be a problem for you Robert but for those driving/open tracking their R's I ran across an interesting situation this summer. My sender stopped working and I assumed it had a piece of foam stuck on it or something. When I pulled my sender plate out that whole piece of metal had broken off and was just moving around in my cell. I'll take some pictures after the first of the year and post the fix I came up with.

Lew's and mine broke as well.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
My fuel guage didn't work when I got my car. When I tore my cell down the protective cage was sideways like a parallelogram so the float was stuck above it. With a little flexing of my muscles it is now in the proper position.

Tom

Ruslow

Established Member
I priced the bladder for my 95 and can get it for 1135.00 plus shipping.If we get enough i can probably get a better price but Am sure we will need atleast 5 to do that.Pm me if anyone is interested if nothing else that is what I can get 1 or 2 for.Stan

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I priced the bladder for my 95 and can get it for 1135.00 plus shipping.If we get enough i can probably get a better price but Am sure we will need atleast 5 to do that.Pm me if anyone is interested if nothing else that is what I can get 1 or 2 for.Stan

Stan - If you have not checked with Mark, you might want to compare your $1135 to his price..........

I don't know about a "group buy" through Mark, but a single purchase can be had for less. Mark also has a deal set up with Fuel Safe to do the R & R on the tank itself, if you are willing to ship it to them, this might interest many on this site. <<The tank has to be sent to them haz-mat safe. <<Contact Mark for details.

Making the tank eco-friendly for shipment is no big deal, just a little messy, but that has to be done weather you do the new bladder install yourself, or chose to have Fuel Safe do it. I would hate pay the cost of a new bladder, "knick" it while wrestling it into the tank and then have to spend an additional bladder cost to have Fuel Safe do it correctly without damage. <<<And then on the other side of this, what if it gets damaged and you do not know it? Everything is put back in the car and in a few weeks, or less, fuel starts "the drip" again. Those are just my thoughts, I won't be making a final decision until after the holidays. I definitely would not ship my tank until after that time, if i decide to do so.

Stan - Did you happen to get a price on the foam also?

R

Users who are viewing this thread