Two more excellent reasons to hate Treynor

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
So how hard was it to learn to trust the aero package on the cars? I've heard its a whole new ballgame when you start driving cars that have legit functional spoilers and splitters because you can go way faster around corners than your brain thinks is possible. Now that you are getting into GT cars and I assume the XX cars also have a ton of functional aero.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So how hard was it to learn to trust the aero package on the cars? I've heard its a whole new ballgame when you start driving cars that have legit functional spoilers and splitters because you can go way faster around corners than your brain thinks is possible. Now that you are getting into GT cars and I assume the XX cars also have a ton of functional aero.

It definitely takes some getting used to. One of the key transitions I've made over the last couple years is to stop driving based on what my eyes (or 'brain') tell me the car can do, and to learn to listen to the feedback from the steering, chassis, and tires instead. It's a very different way of driving.

Aero effects on corners where you are braking into entry are easier, since you're simply balancing brake and steering based on what the tires are saying to you. You can always just brake a bit longer and have a slow first half of the corner. On corners entered without braking -- let's call them 'commitment' corners -- you typically work your way up to the final entry speed by experimentation. At most tracks, that means first lifting early, then moving your lift point further and further forward until you find you can no longer make it to the apex. In some corners you eventually discover that you don't need to lift at all, you can stay in the gas past turn-in.

But yea, the whole time your brain is screaming "YOU ARE GOING TO DIE". You just learn to ignore it after enough practice :)

Snake Plissken

Established Member
WOW! Enjoyed the vids! Thanks! That sound must never get old...

Just wondering, has reaching speeds of over 300 mph ever peeked your interest? With your resources Top Fuel wouldn't be out of the question.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
One more telemetry peeping shot - the brake zone into the hairpin goes from 147 MPH to 60 MPH in 2 seconds flat. That... takes some grip :)

STOP!!.jpg

(2 G's, in fact, from 150 MPH down to about 100 MPH where the aero starts to fall off)

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
One more telemetry peeping shot - the brake zone into the hairpin goes from 147 MPH to 60 MPH in 2 seconds flat. That... takes some grip :)

View attachment 76086

(2 G's, in fact, from 150 MPH down to about 100 MPH where the aero starts to fall off)

So does that meter max out at 2 G's or can it read higher? That's some serious freaking grip though for sure. Can only hope to experience driving like that one day.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So does that meter max out at 2 G's or can it read higher? That's some serious freaking grip though for sure. Can only hope to experience driving like that one day.

I believe the reading is accurate - I saw 1.99 on several other laps.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
I believe the reading is accurate - I saw 1.99 on several other laps.

But is 2 the max it reads or can it or the car reach higher stopping G's? Just curious. And I don't even want to know what your tire bill is. Probably twice as much as I make in a year.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
From the graphic it looks like it pegs at 2 so I was just wondering if it reads higher than that if the car was capable.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
But is 2 the max it reads or can it or the car reach higher stopping G's? Just curious. And I don't even want to know what your tire bill is. Probably twice as much as I make in a year.
It depends hugely in conditions, track grip, tire state, etc. The car can definitely hit >2G braking if the conditions are favorable.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Your neck ever get sore after a day at the track?
It used to, but at this point both Christine and I are conditioned for it. The F1 guys have more issues, but they are seeing 4Gs...

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
It used to, but at this point both Christine and I are conditioned for it. The F1 guys have more issues, but they are seeing 4Gs...

Yeah I was gonna say, those guys talk about how after a season their necks grow significantly in circumference from building so much muscle because of that.

Edit: or even after certain tracks that have long sweeping turns, one side will grow more than the other from the sustained G's

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
For added fun - here's a telemetry lap of Homestead. You can see the car's quite stable at speed, although throttle control (and Ninja hands) exiting tighter corners is mandatory.

[youtube_browser]TBOh7eUZnmQ[/youtube_browser]

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Puts driving a machine such as that, in the manner you're driving it, into perspective when watching the speed you're carrying into some of those corners.

I enjoyed the ninja hands comment as well.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For added fun - here's a telemetry lap of Homestead. You can see the car's quite stable at speed, although throttle control (and Ninja hands) exiting tighter corners is mandatory.

[youtube_browser]TBOh7eUZnmQ[/youtube_browser]

The coolest part of the video is that your car hauls ass and never goes above 3k rpms...haha

Great lap, Ben.

Users who are viewing this thread