Unpullied 04 Cobra puts down 429 rwhp (SAE)

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
I made a little over 400whp with an intake and exhaust and 430whp/405 tq with a tune in Va summer weather.

Added a 2.8 pulley and had 460/470 in hot weather again

Numbers in sig with a Stage IV and 2.76 and shutting it down at 4800 because we were running out of injectors

Last edited:

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Bear in mind that stock Terminators made from 340-395rwhp from the factory. So a Cobra that came from the factory with 390-395rwhp could very well see close to 430 with an intake and full exhaust. The average Terminator, though, with approx. 365rwhp from the factory, wouldn't come close.

I don't understand how the cars could vary so much. 340-395rwhp??? Are these just reported numbers from people from different dynos, with different DA's, air temps ect.?

smknvette

Established Member
My car done 432hp and 399tq with a k&n, bassani offroad x, and bassani catback. I have seen a bunch around 400-420 not pullied. Maybe he just has a strong car.

DEVIL

Established Member
Mine was 426hp with fpik and flowmaster cat. I have a magniflow x and accufab now, waiting for spring to tune it.

Boostinator

www.UltimateAutoPortal.co
Established Member
We Dyno a bunch of these cars. We have sceen stock ones range from 360 to 400 plus....we just did a 03 with Flowmaster Cat Back only...and it put down 411!

Using the same dyno...have sceen them run back to back same day and very that much. We always say depends on who build the motor and how good of mood they were in! LOL!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't understand how the cars could vary so much. 340-395rwhp??? Are these just reported numbers from people from different dynos, with different DA's, air temps ect.?

The factory doesn't get/give rear wheel numbers on individual cars obviously. So, yes, the reported numbers are on various dynos (Dynojets). Dynos are not going to vary enough to make it a major factor in the differences. And air temp differences won't account for a 55rwhp swing. My one car gained roughly 9rwhp from a hot summer day to a cool fall day. I can, though, tell you that my friend and I used the same dyno with roughly the same outside air temps. Mine made 363rwhp stock and his made 393rwhp stock.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Add to the variables whether the dyno was calibrated recently, and what TYPE of dyno. The Mustang brand dyno typically seems to record lower numbers than the Dynojet. Some dynos require inputting a "loading" factor (vehicle weight?) which influences the computed output.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that is pretty strong sae

mine dynoed 433/397 std with intake/exhaust only. but i think that would have translated into about 415 sae

etfhb

Established Member
We Dyno a bunch of these cars. We have sceen stock ones range from 360 to 400 plus....we just did a 03 with Flowmaster Cat Back only...and it put down 411!

Using the same dyno...have sceen them run back to back same day and very that much. We always say depends on who build the motor and how good of mood they were in! LOL!

The hp range seems drastically reduced when cars are tuned. It seems like once at least an upper/tune/cai/exhaust is applied the hp range is drastically reduced.

Smoothgrandmama

mmmm Torque
Established Member
I Recently Bought My 03 And The Former Owner Told Me It Made 440 With 2.93 O/r X Cat Back And K&n. I Dont Know If It Had Been Tuned Or Not. . . . . . If Also Said He Had The Heads Ported After The Dyno. . . . . Im Not Sure About That

TrickStang37

Established Member
im curious if this 429rwhp SAE car will trap any higher than another identical modded cobra at the track on the same day. mine made 398rwhp SAE with catback/cai.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The hp range seems drastically reduced when cars are tuned. It seems like once at least an upper/tune/cai/exhaust is applied the hp range is drastically reduced.

That is true. In just about every case I am aware of, once you get a custom tune the increase margin is narrowed between cars with similar options.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I have a theory that in the early years many were going on the dyno at 800 miles to 1200 miles. Not enough time to properly break in the motor. Others like myself waited 3 or 4 thousand miles and were rewarded with higher numbers (416/379 SAE with K&N and catback)
By the time they got around to the custom tunes most now had enough break in miles for the rings to seat properly and maybe for the computer to learn the parameters resulting in more uniform numbers.
That being said, manufacturing tolerances and other variables make every one unique.

Users who are viewing this thread