which type of head cooling mod is best?

Which cooling mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
If you are changing your clutch, or pulling the trans for work or upgrades, get the LDC kit. It is high quality and designed to last. If you are pulling your blower, get the Even Flow. There are plenty of threads on each kit so do a search and decide for yourselves.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
My guess would be the tune. I had never heard of them losing 7&8 until I got this car and started reading these forums. None of my other 4cam friends ever had any trouble. I'm not buyin the "its been a problem since 96" thing.

Pro race teams that have engines that need to run flat out for 24 hours on the road course (that is half superspeedway) don't seem to need them...

Find me a head cooling mod on this engine (2003 Rolex Series champion):
dsc_0328.jpg

Just one question ShelbyGuy. Why do so many motors lose 7 & 8? I would think that if it was all bunk, then there would be a more equitable distribution of cylinders going south.

Those 2 cylinders have been a problem since the 4V came out in 96, but some have pointed out to me that the n/a motors suffered from a lean condition on 7&8 due to intake problems. Still, it seems strange to me.

Also, I remember Herman doing some temperature checking just before he moved from MD to FL, but it was done without the cooling mod. How about it Herman? Care to chime in and back me up or correct me (I'm old and all those years of drug and alcohol abuse may be affecting my mind)?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we use the Even Flow exclusively here at the shop..we can install without removing the blower and also run the tubing so it cant be seen..

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I went with even flow, and I had my tranny out. I also did the mod with my whipple in place. It's very easy to do, and as steelersvenom said, he watched me do it. Only takes about 1 hour to do and is not as big of a pain as it's made out to be. (but i think installing long tubes is easy too)

camp upshur

Established Member
Regarding the pic of the Rolex car's engine:

I suspect an non-acqueous propylene glycol bearing nucleate boiling properties. A most graphic (mute) example.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
my ldc should be here in a week due to it being backordered. i think both should be good but i want the clean install and since im upgrading my clutch in 2 weeks, why not....

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
Any benefit to running both of these mods together (ldc and evenflow)? Would that be overkill?

camp upshur

Established Member
Your question brings up an interesting, and so far unresolved point.

Is 3/16 or even 3/8 (w/ diminished heater core longevity risk) enough to cool a hi boost Cobra's internal head boiling?

In stock form the R/H cylinder head is relieved by the path to the heater core. This line is restricted (intentionally) by a 3/8 plastic washer AND further restricted to 3/16 by a washer. (This is widely thought to be acting as an hydraulic surge suppressor to prevent heater core failure)

The point is that the R/H head is seemingly sufficiently relieved by a 3/16 outlet port in stock form. (This may have been by design or just fortuitious good luck for the R/H head)

The LDC kit (I've purchased one also) runs an impressive looking 3/4 ID line from the L/H to the R/H head where it confluences into their fabricated fitting and is then sent to the heater core (3/16 bottom line).

Some have removed their 3/16 restrictor washer and/or their 3/8 restrictor tube also. A Hobson's choice of theoretically increasing flow and decreasing heater core longevity made without engineering analysis.

Evenflow's dedicated line offers much more capacity but exactly how much is needed is so far unaddressed. I've given serious though to running my LDC over the top with a dedicated line like the Evenflow.

All of this and it is still unresolved what the problem is...or if this will even rectify the problem (if one exists)....Franz Kafka where are you?

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
Question about the even flow kit.

For what ever reason I'm having a hard time picturing this. The even flow kit is mounted on the rear of the drivers side head, it routes behind the blower and then follows along side the passenger side fuel rail then connects to the upper radiator hose? Is that correct?

If that is correct what provisions are in place to protect the passenger head?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have put some though into both the LDC and the Evenflow. From my perspective the fact that the back of the LH head has no exit which forces the coolant to travel the longest distance which means the two front cylinders will have a shorter path out of the engine. Perhaps the engine designers compensated for this by restricting the block-to-head water passages to in the front cylinders to compensate but to be honest I don’t know.

To me the Evenflow is probably the better set-up of the two since it doesn’t require both rear coolant outputs to merge with one another and acts as two independent systems until they gets to the crossover tube. Having water squirt out of both ends of the heads would seem to be the best way of cooling the engine.

Last edited:

camp upshur

Established Member
Adgar, perhaps my post did not make it clear, the R/H head has a port on the rear in which coolant exits and is routed to the heater core presumably to provide warm water to heat the heater core.

In doing so, (god bless 'em) the designers provided a circulatory exit for coolant from the aft portion of the R/H head. So maybe despite the designer's intention, expanded gaseous and possibly superheated coolant whilst on their way to heat the cabin preclude an area of limited circulation which is widely thought to lead to 'the tick'.

The L/H head has no such exit and this is what these two innovative 'cooling mods' are marketed for.

Fuerza

Established Member
Adgar, perhaps my post did not make it clear, the R/H head has a port on the rear in which coolant exits and is routed to the heater core presumably to provide warm water to heat the heater core.

In doing so, (god bless 'em) the designers provided a circulatory exit for coolant from the aft portion of the R/H head. So maybe despite the designer's intention, expanded gaseous and possibly superheated coolant whilst on their way to heat the cabin preclude an area of limited circulation which is widely thought to lead to 'the tick'.

The L/H head has no such exit and this is what these two innovative 'cooling mods' are marketed for.

The R/H being the driver head the the L/H being the passenger right?

keith89

Established Member
we use the Even Flow exclusively here at the shop..we can install without removing the blower and also run the tubing so it cant be seen..

Care to elaborate on how you run the hose so it can't be seen? I take it you use a longer hose. Any pictures?

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Care to elaborate on how you run the hose so it can't be seen? I take it you use a longer hose. Any pictures?

Yeah, I'd be interested in this also. That's one of the things I don't like about the evenflow compared to the LDC. The LDC being a much cleaner install. I had already been trying to decide how to hide the hose on the Evenflow if I go that route.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The R/H being the driver head the the L/H being the passenger right?

No, just the opposite.
Passenger side is right side
Driver's side is left side.

All descriptions are made as though you are sitting in the driver's seat.

Dana

Fuerza

Established Member
No, just the opposite.
Passenger side is right side
Driver's side is left side.

All descriptions are made as though you are sitting in the driver's seat.

Dana

That is what I thought, so like I said before. With the even flow kit it is mounted on the rear of the drivers side head, it routes behind the blower and then follows along side the passenger side fuel rail then connects to the upper radiator hose?

SVTslowcar

Established Member
If you are changing your clutch, or pulling the trans for work or upgrades, get the LDC kit. It is high quality and designed to last. If you are pulling your blower, get the Even Flow. There are plenty of threads on each kit so do a search and decide for yourselves.

i thought you guys decided not to do anymore kits? i hope im wrong aobout this, but i swear i read that you guys are going ot suspend LDC for a while?

csbrown

Established Member
To make the Evenflow kit almost invisible (at least except for the tee that goes into the upper radiator hose) use a longer piece of hose than what is standard. Route the hose behind the blower until it reaches the strut tower. At this point turn the hose towards the front of the car, letting it rest in the space between the valve cover and strut tower. Once you go past the front of the valve cover turn the hose up and connect to the upper radiator hose tee. Be sure and angle the tee downward - helps make the hose connection more invisible.

I am in a car club and go to car shows a good bit. It took about 3 months before any of the other Cobra owners in the club noticed the mod.

wldtang

Banned
To make the Evenflow kit almost invisible (at least except for the tee that goes into the upper radiator hose) use a longer piece of hose than what is standard. Route the hose behind the blower until it reaches the strut tower. At this point turn the hose towards the front of the car, letting it rest in the space between the valve cover and strut tower. Once you go past the front of the valve cover turn the hose up and connect to the upper radiator hose tee. Be sure and angle the tee downward - helps make the hose connection more invisible.

I am in a car club and go to car shows a good bit. It took about 3 months before any of the other Cobra owners in the club noticed the mod.

show us a pic. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread