which type of head cooling mod is best?

Which cooling mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
i just want it for safe measures, i dont want my piston to look like that one did, so ldc dont make it kits anymore? bummper
what all you got to take loose for the even flow one , and how much is it ?

look around , someone might still have them in stock . i think D'Agostino racing sells LDC

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I believe LFP sells a clone of the LDC kit on their website for the same price...

KJS1820

Established Member
I went with the evenflow since I was dropping on a Kenne Bell! I am not sure how much it helped but for $130 bucks from Amazon :rockon: why the heck not :)

MustangThief

Established Member
Anyone have that light tick before doing the head cooling mod and it going away after?

Just wondering, I don't have the aggressive, loud metal on metal type slap like some of the vids I've heard...but I have that tick that's coming from behind the front driver's side wheel and under the car.

Just wondering if anyone noticed the tick go away or become less noticeable after the cooling mod. :shrug:

Just throwing this out there.. I had a slight "tapping" from the drivers side, that you could hear from the wheel well, very light though...

I was a quart low on oil...

After an oil change and 6 qts. the tapping is gone...

I use Mobil 1 5w30 full synth.

BWH2003

Established Member
can you do the even flow and the ldc cooling mod

I believe you can but the question becomes why? If you are dead set on getting on go with the even flow. I would waste your money on a second kit. Then again I wouldnt waste my money on either but thats my opinion

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
In our experience customers have always chosen either one kit or the other and have been satisfied. The biggest difference has always been where you are in your modifications. Up top with blower mods or in the back with trans/clutch mods.

Anyone who is really concerned about maximum cooling in harsh applications such as road racing is usually going with full on Evans cooling SYSTEM modifications or similar and completly re-pouting the stock cooling system to do so.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we recommend the Even Flow exclusively for installs in the shop..and our mail order customers who are doing the install themselves..

Even Flow is just awesome to work with.. Don's technical knowledge about vehicles and his willingness to go to whateven length is necessary to deal with customer concerns is truely impressive..he has always been very accomodating for any special fabrications that we have asked him to do for us..his product is always readily available

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
from this page:
http://www.socalterminators.com/ldc/index.html

On the '03/'04 Cobras, only the cylinders on the passenger's side head have an outlet for coolant to exit from the head. The coolant that exits goes on to the heater core. There have been numerous failures reported of the rear two pistons on the driver's side (cylinders #7 and #8) on modified Cobra's. One of the most viable theories for these failures is related to the lack of an exit for coolant on the driver's side head. This theory is that coolant more or less gets stuck in a pocket at the back of the driver's side cylinder head and this causes localized overheating at the #7 and #8 cylinders. A probable cure for this problem is to modify the cooling system so that coolant can exit the driver's side cylinder head and join the coolant flow leaving the passenger side head on it's way to the heater core and then on to the radiator.

damage.jpg

Example of an undamaged #3 piston (on left) next to a damaged #7 piston (right)
from the same engine.

The flow of a fluid into any passage cannot be more than the outflow of the design will allow from that passage. Imagine the cardboard roll of any paper towel after the paper is used up. Hold the tube out of a car window at 60 mph, pointed in the direction of travel. Now, pinch down the exit end of the tube so that it's closed. How much air will flow through the tube? Virtually none. Open the outlet to the full diameter and air will flow through the tube like gangbusters. Same idea here, increase flow out of the head and you increase flow of cooled water into the head, and eliminate the pocket of swirling, hot coolant at the back of the head.

Oh man, you are bringing back bad memories, those were my pistons in that pic. So far I've had 2 engine rebuilds because I melted the #7 and #8 pistons TWICE.

Both times were during high speed runs in 5th and 6th gear (I was setting up the car for the Silver State Classic run).

The first time I melted the pistons was with a ported Eaton with a 2.80 pulley, full Bassani exhaust, tune, CAI.

The second time I melted the pistons I had a Whipple @17psi, GordsFord HE, larger Vortech coolant resevior, and the Apten Cooling mod (same thing as LDC) and JE forged pistons. Once again, running hard in 5th and 6th gear caused my rings to melt and fuse to my pistons. All the other pistons showed no signs of heat damage, only 7 and 8.

I've run the car hard many times in 1st - 4th gear and never had any problems. I honestly think the only heating probs occur after running hard in 5th and 6th (lots more stress on the motor at those speeds). I still have the Apten for peace of mind with my turbo set-up, but I will never run hard in 5th and 6th again. I think our motors are fine when run hard in the first 4 gears.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Shows stuff alright....but what does it prove? Nothing! I have more horsepower now than most of the motors that blew up and my car is doing fine without a cooling mod. I still stand by the fact the problems with 7 & 8 cylinders are with the tune. Hate to say it but the fact that there are people like me out here putting down well over 700 rwhp and not having a single issue makes you go :dw:

Everyone can point to that link all they want but I want you to tell me is how my motor hasnt had a single issue? According to that link I should have required a cooling mod. It is almost certain that 7 & 8 are going to overheat on my car. :shrug: Im not one to bash mods for a car on a forum but this cooling mod misconception has got to stop.
How often do you use that 700 RWHP? How often do you do WOT pulls through a few gears? If you're not winding out 4th or 5th gear you probably won't have any problems with the stock cooling design. It seems that all these failures are cause by prolonged operation in high load / speed / high boost.

Think about it, the piston to wall clearance is ~.001 - that is extremely tight -and the piston material expands quicker than the cylinder walls. It just makes sense that #7 and 8 are damaged more frequently due to the lack of cooling ability in that head.

If the cause of the failures was the tune, you would see evidence of that on all of the pistons.

Last edited:

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
We have recently updated our website with the information on the newer Generation 2 head fittings that use an O-Ring seal and a retaining plate. These newer fittings can be installed without removing the supercharger on 03-04 Cobras.

The fitting is tapped with a 1/2" NPT thread which now allows it to be adapted into the AN realm, allowing a multitude of hosing options, such as stainless steel braided.

We anticipate having the newer kits out to our distributors by early December.

We also have finalized our dual head Mercury Marauder kit, which is now available for N/A and Centrigual Supercharged Marauders.

MikeW

Established Member
We have recently updated our website with the information on the newer Generation 2 head fittings that use an O-Ring seal and a retaining plate. These newer fittings can be installed without removing the supercharger on 03-04 Cobras.

Ok, I want to see more info on this kit since the LDC is out of the equation.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
LDC isn't out of the game, just reorganizing.

Check with Derek at D'Agostino Racing for more info.

Dan

Last edited:

The fitting is tapped with a 1/2" NPT thread which now allows it to be adapted into the AN realm, allowing a multitude of hosing options, such as stainless steel braided.

We anticipate having the newer kits out to our distributors by early December.

We also have finalized our dual head Mercury Marauder kit, which is now available for N/A and Centrigual Supercharged Marauders.

BigBadWolff66 I was just wondering if the Gen 2 head fitting was engineered because of any issues witht he Gen 1 fitting? I have your Gen 1 fitting in my Cobra and naturally I was curious.

Users who are viewing this thread