My turbo build thread

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Since I got the truck put together, a lot of people have asked me to put together a build thread, so here it is.

After running the gamut of bolt ons, then a Whipple, then a built engine, I wanted to build my version of the "ultimate" street truck. Something that was fast enough to hang with the awesome Houston street cars, that I could drive anywhere, and I wouldn't sacrifice things like a/c, abs, power accessories, etc. In order to pull that off I came to the conclusion that I'd have to go turbo. The lack of a belt drive was going to free up a lot of horsepower on my street tune. When choosing my turbo, I figured since everything was going to be built custom anyways, and my goal was 700rwhp on my street tune and 1000rwhp on my race tune, I may as well "go big or go home."

The build was done by PSI Motorsports in Webster, TX. They also did the tuning on the stock computer with SCT software. They did an awesome job fabricating all the parts and putting together a system that works great and makes the power I wanted. In normal around town driving the truck is as docile and quiet as a stock truck. When the go pedal is mashed, all hell breaks loose lol. On to the info and pics (most of the pics are from a cell phone, sorry!):

Engine: JDM built, Manley rods and pistons, JDM stage II heads and stage II blower cams.

Transmission: BTS built 4R100, custom 3500 stall PI torque converter, Super Duty transmission cooler.

Turbo system: Precision GT47-88 turbo, Tial 60mm wastegate, Procharger Race bypass valve, NLR AMS-1000 electronic boost controller.

Intercooler system: Precision 1500hp water-air intercooler, modified to be the intake, custom built intercooler reservoir, Fluidyne heat exchanger, Meziere 55gpm intercooler pump, Pushlok lines and fittings.

Fuel system: Fore Precision Works billet triple pump fuel hat, 3 Walbro fuel pumps, -10an feed and -6an return Fragola lines and fittings, Metco billet fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, AEM injector driver, Racetronix 120# injectors.

Exhaust system: All piping was hand built by PSI in stainless, including 1.75" turbo headers, crossover piping, 4" downpipe, and 4" Magnaflow muffler.

Suspension: Hotchkis coils and leafsprings, QA1/Strange shocks, Metco lower traction bars.

Wheels/tires: 17x7, 17x11 True Forged Victory's, satin black centers, polished lip, 235/70-17's, 390/40-17 M&H DR's.

Interior: Corbeau LG1 black microsuede seats, Expedition center console with custom lid cover, black carpet, Chickenears custom floormats, custom doorsills, aluminum pedals, Autometer Phantom boost and fuel pressure gauges, and Dynojet WBC in a triple pillar pod.

Parts start arriving

Turbo6.jpg

Turbo4.jpg

Turbo-Intercooler.jpg

Turbo16.jpg

Placement and fabrication begin

8.jpg

9.jpg

Turbo5-1.jpg

Headers

Turbo7.jpg

Turbo6-1.jpg

Turbo20.jpg

Downpipe

Turbo52.jpg

Turbo23.jpg

Turbo27.jpg

Intercooler/intake

Turbo13.jpg

Turbo50.jpg

Turbo51.jpg

Intercooler system

Turbo53.jpg

Turbo46.jpg

Turbo45.jpg

Finished product

TF20.jpg

TF21.jpg

TF22.jpg

TF17.jpg

TF13.jpg

TF15.jpg

TF18.jpg

Dyno vid

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Turbo-Lightning-Dyno_689219.htm]Turbo Lightning Dyno Video - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

The truck ended up making 718rwhp on my street tune, 15psi and pump gas. The race tune has more left in it with a little more boost and timing. In good weather we're thinking 1100rwhp is achievable. I met my goals and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking!

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
simply amazing......shall I even ask how much $$$$ do you have in engine setup alone?
Have you had it at HRP yet on all out on race tune yet?...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
simply amazing......shall I even ask how much $$$$ do you have in engine setup alone?
Have you had it at HRP yet on all out on race tune yet?...

I stopped counting after awhile lol. It's quite a bit, but I knew what I was getting myself into so it's all good.

I ran a shakedown pass, but nothing on the race tune.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

S P E E D

Established Member
And on the third day GOD made TURBOS!!!! That is just bananas man...this is good fuel for the winter build! Insane setup man!

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
Looks and sounds incredible. I'm sure it runs just as good. Can't wait to see more!
Congratulations on a f'n sick truck. Quite possibly my favorite L.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
And the result of the shakedown pass was? How'd you like the M&H's?

It goes without saying that you have built a one of a king awesome L Scott. :rockon:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
:beer:

And the result of the shakedown pass was? How'd you like the M&H's?

It goes without saying that you have built a one of a king awesome L Scott. :rockon:

Thanks Bob! I couldn't hold the boost at the line, it kept pushing the truck through the lights. I have launch control on my boost controller, but I need to swap to a smaller spring. I also really need some dual caliper race brakes to help hold it at the line so it can build some boost. I don't need much, maybe 5-6psi. On the street tune it went 12.00@123. Once I get it sorted out, it should go into the 10's easily, and well into the 9's on the race tune. The tires held great once it got into boost, but I didn't hit them hard on the line.

Last edited:

CAM09

Established Member
SSSSWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT....That damn turbo is BIG as hell, congrates.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
that is alot of power!!! try a line lock on your braking system like i have. i have a Hurst roll control. also run mickey thompson ET slicks out back at the track. 30" tall and 12" wide on a 15" tall rim. 3.73 gears for the street. also you are gonna need the best traction bars available. you should be able to run HIGH 10's on your street tune and low 9's on your race tune :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
SSSSWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTTT....That damn turbo is BIG as hell, congrates.

Thanks. :beer:

that is alot of power!!! try a line lock on your braking system like i have. i have a Hurst roll control. also run mickey thompson ET slicks out back at the track. 30" tall and 12" wide on a 15" tall rim. 3.73 gears for the street. also you are gonna need the best traction bars available. you should be able to run HIGH 10's on your street tune and low 9's on your race tune :thumbsup:

A line lock and dual caliper drag brakes will be coming sometime this year. I run 390/40-17 M&H DR's, they're 29.5" tall and hook pretty good. My traction bars are Metco lowers, which work well. Those are the times I'm hoping for, and thanks. :beer:

Very, very nice setup. I'm jealous. Interior pics?

Interior pics will be coming soon. I'm changing a couple of things and need to get my boost controller mounted. Thanks. :beer:

Stupercharged

Established Member
badass!! one day i will have something like this! sick truck!!

which A/R and turbine housing are you using? at what rpm do you hit max boost and at what rpm does your turbo start to spool and what is your redline/shift point set at?

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Very sick L Sinister

I hear nothing but good things outta PSI

Thanks. :beer:

badass!! one day i will have something like this! sick truck!!

which A/R and turbine housing are you using? at what rpm do you hit max boost and at what rpm does your turbo start to spool and what is your redline/shift point set at?

Thanks man. It's a GT47-88 with a ported housing and .96 a/r. I'll have to dig through my graphs but I think I hit full boost around 4400-4500rpm. I shift at 6200.

Users who are viewing this thread