Lower Caged Pulley Rebuild Option for 03-04 Terminators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miekk

Tweak Everything!
Established Member
A friend of mine took my car to a show and when he got back he said that it didn't sound quite right. I heard the problem from behind the radiator and found it to be the infamous lower SC caged pulley. From the pic, you can see the rubber was missing entirely. You can also see it went a few miles without any bushing material.

IMG_0548.jpg

After calling Tousley to find out that this thing was $600 and I didn't want a Metco kit yet, I decided to try something. I ordered some Black Polyurethane Tubing, 1-1/4" OD, 1/2" ID, 6" Long, 60a Durometer, from McMaster Carr.com P/N: 87235K122 for $14. Harder material may work, but this is like tire tread rubber, so it worked pretty well.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

I cut it to 7/8" long and rounded one end a little more than the other.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Now, here's where the project could be made much easier if the cage comes apart. I didn't even try, but if it does, this will be a snap to do. I will investigate more to find out if it does.... 6-26-11 update: the triangle cage does spin off and come apart, wish I would have done that instead.
I took the die grinder with a burr, opened up and deburred the back side of the pulley so the urethane would press in easier. If the cage comes apart, the urethane can just be pressed in from the other side of the pulley and put back together.

IMG_0553.jpg

I used a vise and a socket to press the urethane in after spraying everything down with alcohol so it slipped together easier. Alcohol works good because it dries away and has a tendency to make the two parts stay or stick together better after it's dry.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

I have 500 miles on the car and upon close inspection, the urethane hasn't moved at all.
I have some material left, so if anyone would like to ship me their pulley both ways, I will fix it for you if you don't want to tackle this fix.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Not bad but you do need to shrink the pictures down. They are quite large and hard to make out.

TRBO VNM

nice write-up, but FYI, there is a guy on here that is making aftermarket lower pulley's and using the factory cage and changes these bushings as part of the deal. Yes, they do come apart. he did one run, not sure if he is doing another. I think he said he would in a couple months. Just search lower pulley and you can find the long thread about it with pics.

Miekk

Tweak Everything!
Established Member
nice write-up, but FYI, there is a guy on here that is making aftermarket lower pulley's and using the factory cage and changes these bushings as part of the deal. Yes, they do come apart. he did one run, not sure if he is doing another. I think he said he would in a couple months. Just search lower pulley and you can find the long thread about it with pics.

I searched for every thread with caged pulley in it before posting this believe me....

TRBO VNM

also searched caged pulley just now and that same thread came up on first page, 3rd thread down.

I would recommend doing some reading on these forums and you will learn more terminology that will help with searching. typically it is just referred to as lower pulley.

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive been pressing shock rubbers into mine,,i was told the two pieces are threaded together by the guy whos doing the 4lb cage,

black 10th vert

Established Member
This seems like a nice, cheap fix, thanks for posting the details.:beer:

Miekk

Tweak Everything!
Established Member
Guess you need some practice. :D

Searched lower pulley and searched pulley cage and the thread came up on the third page and first page respectively.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...t-new-4lb-lower-pulley-uses-factory-cage.html

I'm not an idiot and "lower pulley" results in 4 pages of threads and this one does not show up in any one of them. It should because the words are right in the title, but it doesn't.

It's really irrevelant anyway because my fix has nothing to do with the information in that thread.

oldmodman

Established Member
I hate McMaster Carr.:D

Every time I go on their web site I always order more stuff than I was looking for.

Those guys have just about everything.

Good job on the fix. Keep us in the loop as the miles go by. I'd like to know if it holds up as long as a stock bushing.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I'm not an idiot and "lower pulley" results in 4 pages of threads and this one does not show up in any one of them. It should because the words are right in the title, but it doesn't.

It's really irrevelant anyway because my fix has nothing to do with the information in that thread.

i passed as an idiot,,i was using the search at top of page instead of the search in the section after your in the section ...

i was getting pgs of :cuss:now get just what i need

black 10th vert

Established Member

I totally agree with regard to the search feature. Occasionally, I find what I am searching for, but more often than not, it requires many hours of reading through threads only to end up asking in a thread anyway.

I think he was pointing you to that other thread on the caged lowers, because that guy was replacing the bushings as part of his process, and had them made to a certain durometer rating. He also figured out how to completely disassemble the cage. Your solution is a very nice DIY type fix, though.:beer:

Miekk

Tweak Everything!
Established Member
I totally agree with regard to the search feature. Occasionally, I find what I am searching for, but more often than not, it requires many hours of reading through threads only to end up asking in a thread anyway.

I think he was pointing you to that other thread on the caged lowers, because that guy was replacing the bushings as part of his process, and had them made to a certain durometer rating. He also figured out how to completely disassemble the cage. Your solution is a very nice DIY type fix, though.:beer:
Since they come apart, this fix would be a snap! If I would have tried harder to get it apart and gotten those pics, the rebuild would have been a total win.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I agree. I'm not sure that it can be put back together using the stock hardware, though. The other guy had to have the center hub that is threaded made by a machine shop as part of his assembly, which leads me to believe that the original needs to be cut, or otherwise damaged to get it apart. Not sure why he would need to have that part re-made if the original was ok?

TRBO VNM

Bingo. Trying to point him to that thread. It has great info and answers the question he was pondering about it being taken apart. Along with someone else "rebuilding" the stock unit, so very much similar to this thread. But hey, I try and help and show him the thread and get beat down for it. Your welcome OP.
:lol:

I agree. I'm not sure that it can be put back together using the stock hardware, though. The other guy had to have the center hub that is threaded made by a machine shop as part of his assembly, which leads me to believe that the original needs to be cut, or otherwise damaged to get it apart. Not sure why he would need to have that part re-made if the original was ok?

They do come apart. He made that center section for another reason. I don't recall, but I know it wasn't made for everyone one he did. Mine was still stock when I received it back.

hotcobra03

Established Member
if your still an active member,,how long did this last?

i ended up having to take mine apart and fix...im trying something now that you can get at any parts store for repair parts...

Miekk

Tweak Everything!
Established Member
Sorry, Haven't been around for a while...
Just looked yesterday and everything looks exactly as it did when I did the fix. Probably 2000 miles ago.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread