drilled rotors?

d4a3m2o1n

Banned
Whats up guys. I think i'm gonna need to put some new rotors on the cobra, and i would like to put some drilled rotors on there to cool things down.. what are your experiences with these? are there any specific brands that you recommend? I am looking for the best performance I can get out of the stock brakes (pad/rotor combo) so any help is appreciated :beer::thumbsup:

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Baer Eradispeed - the only choice I would go with. The price isn't bad - $450 for the front set and $499 for the rear set. They are direct replacements. They weigh quite a bit less than the stockers (they're 2 piece w/aluminum hat). You won't be disappointed.

If you get them, just make sure you use some type of product to keep the rust off, as the pads don't go all the way to the center hat, you have about 1/4 of untouched rotor which will rust up. I use a product called Sharkhide (can be found in Eastwood) and you just rub a bit on and it keeps the area clean of corrosion & dirt. It's for marine use, so automotive use is easy for it.

d4a3m2o1n

Banned
Baer Eradispeed - the only choice I would go with. The price isn't bad - $450 for the front set and $499 for the rear set. They are direct replacements. They weigh quite a bit less than the stockers (they're 2 piece w/aluminum hat). You won't be disappointed.

If you get them, just make sure you use some type of product to keep the rust off, as the pads don't go all the way to the center hat, you have about 1/4 of untouched rotor which will rust up. I use a product called Sharkhide (can be found in Eastwood) and you just rub a bit on and it keeps the area clean of corrosion & dirt. It's for marine use, so automotive use is easy for it.

Okay awesome. Thanks. i guess this company makes the pads as well?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Drilled two piece aluminum hat rotors reduce rotating mass and allow the purchase of just rotor rings when it's time to replace.
Drilled rotors look cool.

That's good.

Drilled rotors have less surface area available for friction and because of that cannot provide better stopping distances except for the lighter mass factor.
Drilled rotors will wear pads faster.
Drilled rotors are much more prone to cracking than solid rotors, even with mild street usage.
Drilled "hatted" two piece rotors are a lot more money than a generic solid replacement one piece rotor.
The above are all verifiable fact, not opinion.

Any questions?

oldmodman

Established Member
Dammit Jimmy. Took all the wind out of my sails. I was just going to tell him, "NO".

Then say "get a set of Bruce's two piece rotors".

cobracide

Established Member
If you're looking for a cheap and effective brake upgrade, get ss lines with some good pads and maybe slotted brembo rotors.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If the rotors are not cracked, below spec or have a run out problem for what ever reason, I would just scuff them good with some 100 grit sand paper and reuse them. Follow the bed in procedure of what ever pads you choose.

The single best, most economical, and logical brake improvement for a street 94-04 13" brake Cobra is simply step up the pad compound a touch.
I like Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ for the street because they hardly dust and the dust they do make is noncorrosive for chrome wheels. They are not the cheapest pads out there though. I also use their race compound pads .. but obviously NOT on the street.
Carbotech Performance Brakes

Any messing around with rotors that are not larger in diameter and thicker will produce little to no tangible results. Except oohs and aahs from uninformed "auto enthusiasts".
With the VERY important EXCEPTION of reduction of rotating mass afforded by aluminum hat two peice rotors.

2 piece solids here-->FTBR Brake Parts
These are not junk! They are extremely high quality, made by a very picky guy who won't put his name on "just anything".

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i'm running the baer 2 piece with reverse drilled/slotted and i also have sp500 rims. this is a nice looking setup, but i do not track my car. calipers and pads are factory. i'm not that worried about them cracking from the little bit of street use my car sees these days. my braking feels good, but i also changed the front lines to mm steel so i know that probably contributed to the better feel

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Just got a nice set ordered from rotorpros - all four were $160 shipped. They use Centric rotors and I got mine double-slotted and drilled (kinda' the opposite of c6zhombre's). Didn't see the need to spend the huge $$$ on the two-piece kits.

coketo

Silver Snake!!!
Established Member
hey Jrgoffin how you like those rotors you got from rotorpros?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Actually, haven't gotten them yet! Since they make them custom, I'm expecting them sometime next week. I have no doubt that they will be a real nice set of rotors. I'll get some pics up when they arrive.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Here's an update, and kudo's to Rich at RotorPros. Very nice stuff, and the price was amazing. Will even be buying a full set for my Aviator next.

Went a bit different and decided to go double-slotted & drilled. Here are pics of the left rotors to give you an idea:

P1020034.jpg

P1020035.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread