My car LIVES again - fired it up!!!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My car LIVES again - fired it up!!! (pics)

It has been down since November. I did a lot. In summary I started with a bare block, 19cc pistons, built the whole motor including short block myself.

While the motor was down I also did mafia, twin GT pumps, fore hat, dual FPDM, 26 spline input shaft, spec 3+ clutch (chatters like an insane mofo), bassani cat'd X pipe, speed hut gauges (4 of them), LC1 wideband, new tune with new sct x3, pro 5.0 shifter, MRT hood shocks, fiore firewall adjuster, triple hook UPR quadrant, LDC free play mod, terminator badge on trunk.... and what ever else... it's late and I'm tired lol.

Fired it up tonight just after 10pm for the first time since November. Sweet music to my ears :banana: first swing of the key too. Got it all warmed up, coolant burped etc. Drove some 18 miles cruising around checking it all out. Like a charm so far.
Asides from the insane clutch chatter (its way worse than I was expecting) I hear a weird ticking noise when I first slightly push on the clutch pedal. I might have to adjust more pre-load on it because as soon as I start to press on it for real the noise goes away.

Otherwise I'm so happy :-D I get to drive my car again yaaaaaa!!!

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
3+ chatters like a bitch. Maybe it's just mine, but I have ~20,000 miles on it and it still chatters real bad after it gets warm. It just sounds like a turkey gobble when it's cold.

f2hatch

Established Member
Congrats! My 26 spline stage 3+ has very little to no chatter at all and i have 400 miles on it. Could that be because i swap over to a steel flywheel?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks guys. Yeah feels awesome. About to go start randomly driving my car all over and break that motor and clutch in.
I noticed if I gas it quite a bit when pulling off you can hide most of the chatter. It better be gone in 500 ~ 1000 miles :)

Jroc

Established Member
Cool!

Is this the first motor you built? How hard was it to do?

I would like to try and build a motor myself some day.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Congrats. I have been following your progress and posts. I'm glad to hear you got her running. I remember the original thread when you first blew your motor "I did some 40-140 back to back runs with my friends. It was fun...."

Last edited:

stangliter04

Established Member
Congrats! I got to drive my car for the first time in about 3 weeks today! Felt good and heading to the dyno tomorrow! :beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Congrats. I have been following your progress and posts. I'm glad to hear you got her running. I remember the original thread when you first blew your motor "I did some 40-140 back to back runs with my friends. It was fun...."

Ahh yeah brings back memories. This first thread
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...329-damn-i-think-i-damaged-my-motor-help.html

Trying to figure out the noise
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../562093-how-do-you-find-spun-rod-bearing.html

and a few more of them came after that. So nice to have it running again.

Cool!

Is this the first motor you built? How hard was it to do?

I would like to try and build a motor myself some day.

No it wasn't my first motor ever but it was my first mod motor. I'd never seen inside a 4.6 let alone a dual over head cam supercharged version. It was a little intimidating going into it but once you get in its really not bad. Do your research, read up on it and make sure you can do it all. Here's a few threads of mine that may help you out.

Pulling the motor
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0365-anyone-whos-pulled-their-motor-help.html

And this one should be very helpful. I posted a ton of pics as time went on of my build.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/596279-how-assemble-shortblock.html

Thanks guys - could never have done it without all the support and help I got from everyone on this site. You guys rock!! :beer:

Malcolm

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
man i gotta hand it to you, i have just been checking out all your posts and pictures of your engine pull/rebuild. congratulations - that is very very cool learning experience! :beer:

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Congrats on getting her up and running again. Must feel good to build it with your own hands. Dont worry about the clutch, its great. Be nice to it for the first 1000 miles. After around 2000 miles the chatter was completely gone(i have the steel flywheel).

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks a lot guys. It does feel great to drive a car who's motor I built entirely from a bare block. Very cool feeling.

I'll try and get some pics of the car finished tomorrow. I'm also going to cut the springs and give it a better stance. I've also since tinted the windows and put a smoked cover on the license plate.

So far about 280 miles on the new setup. Haven't driven the car since Wednesday though due to rain. The clutch already seems to be slightly improving on the chatter. I'll hang in there :)

Jefe

Established Member
Just got back in town....Very nice, I really hope I dont have to go throught this but only time will tell. Thanks for all the pics/info in case I need it. Hows the LC1 working?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hows the LC1 working?

It still hit and miss as to whether it will work on first start up of the day. Other than that it seems to be ok. I still question if its working correctly because the needle tends to be all over the place but that may be right. Motor's not broken in yet so no WOT runs to see if the needle swings to 11.8 ish or what.

No problem on the pics and stuff. Hopefully it helps others out.

Users who are viewing this thread