2010+ Taurus SHO with 100k+ miles reliability? Any regrets from having one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm thinking I want to get into a SHO.

Not trying to get the cheapest one around, but I'll save a few bucks if I can. How is the reliability of them with over 100k miles? Seems like that 3.5EB is a solid motor, but how about the rest of the car?

Any other regrets or complaints of owners? I keep reading that the 10-12 isn't as good as the 13+, but nobody says why.

I've already driven a few over the last few years, but will definitely drive any that I find to make sure it fits the bill.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'm in the same boat and drove one at Oakes Auto a few weeks back and I'm hooked. I too haven't found solid info on how long they last after hitting 100K+. Seems the main issue is carbon buildup in the motors.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Don't own one, but the design of the water pump is goofy, and has led to some failures.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i think people say the 13+ is better due to the redesign of the grill. went from the Ford flat bar grill to a nice mesh. it does look a lot better.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Don't own one, but the design of the water pump is goofy, and has led to some failures.

Water pump on the transverse 3.5s is behind the timing cover and is chain driven.

i think people say the 13+ is better due to the redesign of the grill. went from the Ford flat bar grill to a nice mesh. it does look a lot better.

13+ has better brakes is the big thing. The Taurus is a big damn car.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Brakes still needed upgraded. My parents have specifically had rear brake issues with their 13. They upgraded to powerstop evolution pads and rotors front and rear. Stage 3 sells them. They say it's night and day different. uploadfromtaptalk1440538873103.jpg

Last edited:

earl lee

Established Member
Just a tidbit, the new fusion is bigger inside then the Taurus and this thing will be going the way of the dodo with no replacement in the next few years. Ford apparently is getting out of the large car game. dont blame them.

Everybody wants to drive shitty small CUV's now.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I did notice the several I drove felt heavy and needed brake upgrades, but that's no big deal.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not really wanting something bigger than my 2010 4 door focus, I just want more oomph. A focus RS is on my radar in about 2 years.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
did a track day at willow springs a few months ago with the local shelby club. one guy showed up with a SHO. he drove the heck out of that car and it did great. and it was pretty much bone stock

west08

Established Member
Just a tidbit, the new fusion is bigger inside then the Taurus and this thing will be going the way of the dodo with no replacement in the next few years. Ford apparently is getting out of the large car game. dont blame them.

Everybody wants to drive shitty small CUV's now.

Link to any legit source?

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Bought one at the start of summer, it puts a smile on my face every time.

The 13+ has the refreshed look, bigger brakes, and IMO much nicer dash/interior. I think the sync system is also a bit different/better but not sure on that one.

The only thing reliability wise I have seen is needing to change the ptu fluid on a regular basis (like every 30k). Not a big deal, you can diy pretty easy and it's cheap. Plenty of guys over 100 tuned/exhaust the entire time.

I went with a non pp because they are harder to find and you can't get the drivers air pack with the performance pack. All research I did suggests the gearing is less than a car thru the 1/4 difference. The coolers IMO are a waste unless you want to track the car (so of your crazy). The lane system is nice, but the adaptive cruise is the absolute best. I had a rental last week for work and missed it the entire time.

One last thought, if you buy a livernois tune is a must. With their package (Tune/cai/thermostat/plugs) the car feels completely different. Other than firmer shifts it drives like stock until WOT. Then it comes alive. With the TQ management gone the low end is unreal.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Had a 2010, very fun comfortable car. In town never got over 13 mpg. Highway it did 23mpg at 90-95 mph. Now I bought it with 50k, the first 28days of ownership it lived at ford.

Cyl 4 misfire happened on the way home from the dealership. Ford has tsb for new plugs and a software update. Fine fixed under warranty.

Before it left the service drive the brake pedal went to the floor, needed a master cylinder and brake booster, fixed under warranty.

Day later a nasty clicking noise behind the dash, had to have a door actuator replaced.

Adaptive cruise would stop working on long drives, fords tsb fixed it.

Before week one was done it started to wheel hop real bad under power. Ford had tsb to replace the ptu.

At the same time ford replaced the key due to it not starting at times.

The one they never fixed was the trans would default to neutral sometimes when leaving from a stop. They serviced the trans but that didn't help. Ford had a tsb for it but the dealers would not perform it since that meant pulling the trans under warranty.

Overall the car was fun but it really does have the worst brakes I have ever seen. Forget stopping from 60mph, the fade is scary.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing Shane! Thats the first bad review i've heard.

The brakes on the one I test drove werent great, I slammed them hard from 100mph and it was rather scary how long it took to get stopped. I think my 08 F250 does better.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Thanks for sharing Shane! Thats the first bad review i've heard.

The brakes on the one I test drove werent great, I slammed them hard from 100mph and it was rather scary how long it took to get stopped. I think my 08 F250 does better.

No problem. When I got the f150, I was amazed that it stopped better than the SHO

Keep in mind I'm not really giving a bad review. The car was about the best highway cruiser you can find.
The MPG and cramped back seat are the only reasons it was replaced.

The worst thing about that car is the fact that every problem I had, ford had a tsb for it, which tells me it was a common problem.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
No problem. When I got the f150, I was amazed that it stopped better than the SHO

Keep in mind I'm not really giving a bad review. The car was about the best highway cruiser you can find.
The MPG and cramped back seat are the only reasons it was replaced.

The worst thing about that car is the fact that every problem I had, ford had a tsb for it, which tells me it was a common problem.

10-4

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Kinda the poster child for not buying a first year car.

I've never felt like the brakes on mine were lacking, but as stated the 13+ cars got a upgrade.

I'm just down I70 from kc, if your in the neighborhood shoot me a pm. The tune really transforms the car.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
How much are they with 100k? Hopefully not more than 13-15k. With the AWD and Twin turbo I would not want to be a guinea pig who finds own what issues there are at higher mileage.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
How much are they with 100k? Hopefully not more than 13-15k. With the AWD and Twin turbo I would not want to be a guinea pig who finds own what issues there are at higher mileage.

The one i'm looking at closely is a 2010 with 106k for 16k. One owner, no accidents. Havent looked in person yet. I looked online and that seems about right for those miles. 140-150k only drops them down to 13k. 70-80k miles are only 18-19k though, so if I find one in that range local I might get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread