Fair Price?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Update insurance has decided to repair which I wasn't happy about but I figured I would maybe add some upgrades like the Super Snake hood and stripes. Looking over the estimate I quickly went from being somewhat disappointed to full on rage when I notice they have salvage yard parts listed in the repair along with the estimate missing parts. Call my insurance and advise them I'm not authorizing repair with any but factory parts, they tell me this is the norm for any car over a year old, what really pisses me off is the initial estimate was higher which I'm guessing is because it was with all factory parts, because it dropped almost the exact amount of the difference between the salvage parts they subbed for the factory ones. The car is now @ my body shop I use, I advised them to go over it with I finetoothed comb and completely redo the estimate, because if the initial appraiser forgot to put all the stripes and a few other items on the original estimate what else did he miss. So for now I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Kapy

Established Member
Update insurance has decided to repair which I wasn't happy about but I figured I would maybe add some upgrades like the Super Snake hood and stripes. Looking over the estimate I quickly went from being somewhat disappointed to full on rage when I notice they have salvage yard parts listed in the repair along with the estimate missing parts. Call my insurance and advise them I'm not authorizing repair with any but factory parts, they tell me this is the norm for any car over a year old, what really pisses me off is the initial estimate was higher which I'm guessing is because it was with all factory parts, because it dropped almost the exact amount of the difference between the salvage parts they subbed for the factory ones. The car is now @ my body shop I use, I advised them to go over it with I finetoothed comb and completely redo the estimate, because if the initial appraiser forgot to put all the stripes and a few other items on the original estimate what else did he miss. So for now I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Do not give in to them. As a owner you have the right to ask for OEM parts. I work in the business and the only reason why they look for LKQ (Like Kind Quality) or other salvaged yard parts is so that they reduce cost. Do not allow them to do this to you, you don't have to give in. Tell them if you have to that you are going to consult legal advice unless they grant nothing but OEM new parts and repair to your car.

In worst case scenario you may have to pay the difference between NON-OEM or salvage yard price vs. new OEM. But with a car like this I wouldn't go with anything but new OEM even if I had to pay the difference.

I am not saying our cars are exotic, but they should be treated as the same. Ask your insurance agent if your car was a Ferrari would they use salvage yard parts? Definitely not.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I've been down this road on a truck and they did the same. Sucks! I can only say I was able to get them to go with Ford used parts that I inspected before being used. I would choose used Ford over new reproduction parts is what I am getting at if you don't win this argument. In my case, the parts used were in excellent condition and I have OEM fit with OEM parts that were the same as new OEM.

Tom

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Update: im now 7 weeks into the claim, current repair estimate is @ around $35k+in just body work with the car still needing to go to a mechanic but insurance is still wanting to repair. Insurance did agree to all factory parts except for those that I choose to go aftermarket ie SS hood and trufiber splitter. One of my SS wheels was damaged in the accident and since insurance can't track down a single rim I got them to agree to pay me for all 4, this was a huge win because they were only wanting to pay for the 1 damaged wheel but I had additional coverage on my policy for customization, It took me going up the chain of command to get them to agree to this.

Clemson

Established Member
Good Lord, youre going to be into this repair over 40 grand on a car thats worth, what, 45 max? How is that not totaled???

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Good Lord, youre going to be into this repair over 40 grand on a car thats worth, what, 45 max? How is that not totaled???

They have the car valued @$45k, what I'm being told is they won't total until they receive a supplement from the shop putting it @ $40k in damages, which if they used any common sense we will get to that number easily but not before wasting more time and money. I've been calling insurance daily, I was able to get a higher up on the phone yesterday, and that is who approved paying for all 4 rims, she was also going to get their material loss manager to get with the shop to see how much it will actually be to repair the car because I was told by the shop another $8k in additional supplemental items was very realistic.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's crazy OP, they totaled my 14 GT500 with 42k in damage. I can't believe they haven't totaled it. How bad is the damaged SS wheel?

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Glad you’re ok. I hope they total it for you. And when they do, see how cheap you can buy it back. You can then part it out and make out in the end.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
That's crazy OP, they totaled my 14 GT500 with 42k in damage. I can't believe they haven't totaled it. How bad is the damaged SS wheel?
The outer hub/lip is bent, it looked like the center was still good but won't know for sure until it gets pulled off the car. The front passenger side took a good hit enough to push that wheel in and damage the control arm.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
As of right now they're proceeding with repairs but closely monitoring the claim to ensure they total if it meets the threshold. I was also able to get them to replace my SS exhaust, that along with them covering the wheels are two big wins for me. If they don't end up totaling the car it will pretty much be brand new, the shop is replacing every body panel except the roof and driver door. I'm going with the SS hood, but still deciding whether to go stripe delete , painted SS stripes or custom vinyl SS stripes?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
As of right now they're proceeding with repairs but closely monitoring the claim to ensure they total if it meets the threshold. I was also able to get them to replace my SS exhaust, that along with them covering the wheels are two big wins for me. If they don't end up totaling the car it will pretty much be brand new, the shop is replacing every body panel except the roof and driver door. I'm going with the SS hood, but still deciding whether to go stripe delete , painted SS stripes or custom vinyl SS stripes?
I would do the SS vinyl stripes. Just in case you change your mind down the road.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
From reading this I am guessing the accident was your fault. Which means you will likely take a pretty big hit on your rates. If I were you I would find a new insurance company once this claim has been paid in full

Update: im now 7 weeks into the claim, current repair estimate is @ around $35k+in just body work with the car still needing to go to a mechanic but insurance is still wanting to repair. Insurance did agree to all factory parts except for those that I choose to go aftermarket ie SS hood and trufiber splitter. One of my SS wheels was damaged in the accident and since insurance can't track down a single rim I got them to agree to pay me for all 4, this was a huge win because they were only wanting to pay for the 1 damaged wheel but I had additional coverage on my policy for customization, It took me going up the chain of command to get them to agree to this.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You had the SS hood, where did you get the stripes, custom cut ? Shelby won't sell the official stripes unless it's a real SS.
Had my stripes custom made, these are the measurements, the stripes are 1 inch wide, 1 inch space, 14 inches wide, 1 inch space and another 1 inch wide.
27544236648_5ae4e361e3_z.jpg

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
So another small victory, I was able to locate a brand new never mounted set off SS wheels still in the boxes that I'm picking up. If anyone is looking for a set of the 13/14 SS wheels in black the guy I'm buying them from has another set available, he told me $3k for the used set.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So another small victory, I was able to locate a brand new never mounted set off SS wheels still in the boxes that I'm picking up. If anyone is looking for a set of the 13/14 SS wheels in black the guy I'm buying them from has another set available, he told me $3k for the used set.
I just send you a DM about the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread