Fair Price?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Geez what a mess. After the guy has done all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I know, at least he's been paid already. It's been like beating my head against a wall for 3 months trying to reason with insurance, I guess they feel they will save a few bucks In the long run but I just don't see it.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Somebody will score big at the auction yard

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
What did the insurance adjuster say?
We essentially went round and round and ended up right back where we started. Insurance wants a final supplement before they will do anything, they said the adjuster went to the shop and spoke with the owner and they were both in agreement that the car was 100% repairable and they would have a final supplement to me by end of day to review. This came as a surprise to me because I had spoken with the shop several times that morning and was told the adjuster had not been out yet, and the shop seemed to be in agreement that there was more damage than expected and this was a much larger job than originally anticipated . So after making calls to the shop and the 3rd party appraiser I found out that insurance had given me bad info, the appraiser had stopped by to see the car and taken pictures on a Saturday when the tech was working on the car, but he hadn't spoken to the shop owner who is handling everything and no final supplement was completed. So now the plan is for me to meet with the adjuster @ the shop on fri and try to get a supplement finalized, because my math has this thing very close to a total loss and they're saying we are still a good ways off, and of course everyone is pointing the finger @ the other and saying it's their fault things are taking so long and not going as planned.

fearthesnake

Established Member
We essentially went round and round and ended up right back where we started. Insurance wants a final supplement before they will do anything, they said the adjuster went to the shop and spoke with the owner and they were both in agreement that the car was 100% repairable and they would have a final supplement to me by end of day to review. This came as a surprise to me because I had spoken with the shop several times that morning and was told the adjuster had not been out yet, and the shop seemed to be in agreement that there was more damage than expected and this was a much larger job than originally anticipated . So after making calls to the shop and the 3rd party appraiser I found out that insurance had given me bad info, the appraiser had stopped by to see the car and taken pictures on a Saturday when the tech was working on the car, but he hadn't spoken to the shop owner who is handling everything and no final supplement was completed. So now the plan is for me to meet with the adjuster @ the shop on fri and try to get a supplement finalized, because my math has this thing very close to a total loss and they're saying we are still a good ways off, and of course everyone is pointing the finger @ the other and saying it's their fault things are taking so long and not going as planned.
Good Lord. What a mess and sorry you are having to deal with it.

Hopefully the supplement will come in much higher than anticipated. But thats not the end either as add'l supplements may be needed for Engine/Drivetrain not accounted for. Also, once its all complete there, when the Car is aligned there could be add'l damage found during that step. I went through this scenario when my wife wrecked her Jeep Grand Cherokee last summer and it would not align.

What I fear is you will be stuck in the end with a repaired car with a trashed Title and demijnished value even though it was repaired to OEM specs.

A little fender bender is one thing but a $40K repair bill is cause for concern.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you brother!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

Hopefully the supplement will come in much higher than anticipated. But thats not the end either as add'l supplements may be needed for Engine/Drivetrain not accounted for. Also, once its all complete there, when the Car is aligned there could be add'l damage found during that step. I went through this scenario when my wife wrecked her Jeep Grand Cherokee last summer and it would not align.

What I fear is you will be stuck in the end with a repaired car with a trashed Title and demijnished value even though it was repaired to OEM specs.

A little fender bender is one thing but a $40K repair bill is cause for concern.

That's exactly my fear, its killing me because a little common sense would dictate that a car with almost $40k in body damage will also have some type of mechanical damage that will be identified once it's back together enough to get to a mechanic.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Well - that’s why they call it cut rate insurance.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Well - that’s why they call it cut rate insurance.

Can't say I'd call it cut rate because they've given in on every part demand I've had. All factory parts are being used in the repair , new SS hood, new SS wheels ( 1 wheel was damaged they replaced all 4) , new SS exhaust, new SS splitter, the only thing they won't do is total this thing.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Can't say I'd call it cut rate because they've given in on every part demand I've had. All factory parts are being used in the repair , new SS hood, new SS wheels ( 1 wheel was damaged they replaced all 4) , new SS exhaust, new SS splitter, the only thing they won't do is total this thing.

When I was in an accident with my Tacoma, USAA flat out asked, “it can go either way, what would you prefer”.

The ‘05 was worth $14,200 and racked up $11k in body and mechanical damage.

At the time I owned maybe $8k on it and thought “****, I’d have $6k to replace it”.

The reality was a similar truck would have been $14-16k to replace + taxes/registration + hassle of finding one.

Truck was fixed in 30 days looking brand new.

5 years, 100k miles later truck still looks and drives great. It’s also been paid off forever and still worth +10k.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Yeah, at what point is it easier to just strip the wreckage and use the parts to convert a V6/GT.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
20180613_151041_zpsavvi0dmt.jpg
4 months in

Last edited:

Tight Lines

Established Member
That’s tough. Hopefully progress will continue at a faster rate soon. Hopefully they don’t damage those wheels either, love those wheels.

M91196

Established Member
No idea how insurance companies release funds on this type of project but I’m surprised the body shop can let the car take up their bay for this long.
What is the specific delay?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
No idea how insurance companies release funds on this type of project but I’m surprised the body shop can let the car take up their bay for this long.
What is the specific delay?

Insurance cut a check to the shop for $30k right off the bat with additional supplemental items to come to finalize the repair, not to mention the $5k for the new rims. Delay is a combination of insurance dropping the ball with the initial estimate, large amount of damage to the vehicle and the shop being a smaller operation.

M91196

Established Member
Insurance cut a check to the shop for $30k right off the bat with additional supplemental items to come to finalize the repair, not to mention the $5k for the new rims. Delay is a combination of insurance dropping the ball with the initial estimate, large amount of damage to the vehicle and the shop being a smaller operation.

Ugh, you have lots of patience.
Good luck, I’ll keep following and hope for good news soon for you.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Ugh, you have lots of patience.
Good luck, I’ll keep following and hope for good news soon for you.

My patience have definitely been tested during this process. On a positive note I had insurance send an independent appraiser out to reassess the vehicle with my shop to get the final supplement completed, so I should have a definitive answer tomorrow on whether repairs will be completed or if we have met the threshold to total it. @ this point I'm pushing insurance hard to just total this thing and cut me a check so I can move on.

Users who are viewing this thread