Gords Heat Exchanger with Fans

TVSCobra

Established Member
Thinking of this for my 03 Cobra. The fans seem to work really well on the GT500, so I would think they would on these cars. Especailly at low speeds or when the vehicle is stopped. I have been told that my IAT2s should stay around 15-20 above IAT1 while cruising, after installing this heat exchanger with the fans. I know it will really help out with recovery after making back to back pulls.

I see AFCO is also working on a fan package for their heat exchangers, but there is no ETA on the release on their stuff.

Plus I have many options on how I want to wire it. Still haven't decided on that one.

See sig for mods. My upgraded IC pump should help too, I have used the search function and read all the threads about the Gords. But it seems the Gords heat exchanger has changed since then.

Any advice or experience with this piece would be much appreicated.

Thanks

cobracide

Established Member
Apparently from what I have read, the fans help when you are stopped but once you get moving they don't make a difference.

SlowSVT

Established Member
And god knows our IC system needs all the help it can get while the vehicle is not moving. And when it is and under boost the air can navigate it's way around those useless fans. This is a mod for drag racers with a manual pump switch for cooldown between runs.

101blur

Established Member
I would say one of the best cooling mods I made was the LFP larger super tank for the IC coolant. Holds with the larger HE about three time's the amount my stock setup did. Made a 100 plus mile trip to my dyno and the tank was only warm to the touch. Just figured I would mention since your are looking for more cooling mods. I run the 170 stat and LFP dual pass car runs nice and cool I have a head cooling mod just waiting to go on just my 2 cents input. don't see much need for the fans unless u plan on sitting in a lot of traffic then making WOT pulls

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would say one of the best cooling mods I made was the LFP larger super tank for the IC coolant. Holds with the larger HE about three time's the amount my stock setup did. Made a 100 plus mile trip to my dyno and the tank was only warm to the touch. Just figured I would mention since your are looking for more cooling mods. I run the 170 stat and LFP dual pass car runs nice and cool I have a head cooling mod just waiting to go on just my 2 cents input. don't see much need for the fans unless u plan on sitting in a lot of traffic then making WOT pulls

A larger IC reservoir will do nothing to lower temps. It just raises the time it takes to heat AND cool the system. Plus they are made from very heat conductive aluminum sitting in a hot engine compartment. The stock reservoir’s main purpose is to act as a burp tank.

The most effective mod is installing the largest H/E you can get which I believe is Gords and to seal the air gaps leading to it. The water rarely gets above luke warm even in the stock system.

101blur

Established Member
A larger IC reservoir will do nothing to lower temps. It just raises the time it takes to heat AND cool the system. Plus they are made from very heat conductive aluminum sitting in a hot engine compartment. The stock reservoir’s main purpose is to act as a burp tank.

The most effective mod is installing the largest H/E you can get which I believe is Gords and to seal the air gaps leading to it. The water rarely gets above luke warm even in the stock system.

I see what your saying but still cant see how more cooling liquids would not help keep a consistent temp.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I see what your saying but still cant see how more cooling liquids would not help keep a consistent temp.

You don't want "consistent" temperatures, you want the "lowest" temperatures. The reservoir main purpose by definition is to act as reserve capacity in the event there is a loss of coolant in the system. The only thing that will actually cool the system is the HE in a 100 mph hurricane. As stated the large capacity reservoir will only increase the time it takes to heat and cool the system which never really gets hot to begin with. The smaller factory burp tank doesn't even factor into coolant temperature recovery time. Not to mention hanging a gallon of luke warm water off the nose of the car. On the street I don't see a real benefit here but that's just me. These are really best suited for drag racing packing it with ice between runs :burnout:

dpancer

Established Member
I have read everywhere that fans mounted on a HE will only be a benefit between track runs, stop and go traffic, and under 50mph driving. Would they not be a real help for cooling during burnouts at the track and/or playing around, for instance longer burnouts and donuts?

Users who are viewing this thread