How to install Optima Battery in the 03/04 Cobra.

MY DREAM

Established Member
venom one,

I must know who the heck is that in your animated picture in your sig? I think I am in love....I mean Lust!

James

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
venom one,

I must know who the heck is that in your animated picture in your sig? I think I am in love....I mean Lust!

James

I think the one on the right is Katy Perry in a SNL skit.

All three pics are of Katy Perry. The first one I'm not sure where it's from, the second is from an SNL skit, and the third is from a video by 3oh!3 called Star Strukk....she looks so effin hot!! My wife said that she is my girlfriend....I wouldn't mind. :rockon:

shb5007

Established Member
Does anybody know the part number for the Ford GT Optima battery?

Does it function okay in the 03/04 Cobra?

beeradd

Established Member
Or you can run the Ford GT battery (just a group 75/35 Optima with a Ford sticker on it) and not have to cut your battery tray. I got my battery from Steve @ Tousley for $129 + shipping and the adapter was free from Optima. Don't even have to pull the tray to install it since there are no modifications needed.

attachment.php

fyi, I run the 75/35 bought from oriely's. It works out great, until I can find that neat optima mount adapter I currently ran the bolt through a door striker(the piece that you screw to the door frame). It clamps to the battery and works out great, holds very secure and honestly I don't even notice it is there.....

1zpqhjo.jpg

el7861.jpg

Last edited:

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Or you can run the Ford GT battery (just a group 75/35 Optima with a Ford sticker on it) and not have to cut your battery tray. I got my battery from Steve @ Tousley for $129 + shipping and the adapter was free from Optima. Don't even have to pull the tray to install it since there are no modifications needed.

attachment.php

I received this adapter from Optima after purchasing my GT battery from Tousley. The battery is still too narrow, and the battery is not held in place by the ledge on the opposite side of the adapter. Anyone else have this problem?

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I received this adapter from Optima after purchasing my GT battery from Tousley. The battery is still too narrow, and the battery is not held in place by the ledge on the opposite side of the adapter. Anyone else have this problem?

I didn't get the adapter but I had a friend cut me a piece of delrin that was thicker than the stock piece.
P1010006-2.jpg

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
Nope nothing is on the other side. I don't have the car to look at but I think there is a lip on the tray that the base of the battery can slide under on the opposite side. I gave it a good yank and it didn't budge.

Last edited:

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Nope nothing is on the other side. I don't have the car to look at but I think there is a lip on the tray that the base of the battery can slide under on the opposite. I gave it a good yank and it didn't budge.

There is a lip in the tray that the back of the battery can slide under, but I saw what looked like an adapter for that side in the first post's pictures. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't use one.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I just got a 75/25 Optima from Autozone and an after market battery hold down that seems to be solid. No modifications other than that....gave it a good yank and it didn't budge.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Just as a heads up for a better fitment (yellowtop) I simply let the battery sit inside the tray with thre rear of the battery in the rear of the tray. Then when I saw what needed to be cut on the front of the tray, I took a hack-saw and marked right where the optima battery cylindrical portion touches the tray. then cut the tray in 4 places and broke off the two pieces needing removal. It actually perfectly fit the battery in the stock tray, while leaving a section in the middle to hold the battery snuggly.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Just as a heads up for a better fitment (yellowtop) I simply let the battery sit inside the tray with thre rear of the battery in the rear of the tray. Then when I saw what needed to be cut on the front of the tray, I took a hack-saw and marked right where the optima battery cylindrical portion touches the tray. then cut the tray in 4 places and broke off the two pieces needing removal. It actually perfectly fit the battery in the stock tray, while leaving a section in the middle to hold the battery snuggly.

Just wondering, why did you choose a yellow top instead of a red top? I'm looking for a new battery and I'm hesitating between yellow and red top. My car is mostly stock except for the air suspension system which has a pair of air compressors that draw about 60 amps when they're running. I figure if I go with a stock replacement I'll probably have to change it sooner than I would an Optima battery.

I'd like to see pics of yellow tops installed if anybody has some.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Just wondering, why did you choose a yellow top instead of a red top? I'm looking for a new battery and I'm hesitating between yellow and red top. My car is mostly stock except for the air suspension system which has a pair of air compressors that draw about 60 amps when they're running. I figure if I go with a stock replacement I'll probably have to change it sooner than I would an Optima battery.

I'd like to see pics of yellow tops installed if anybody has some.

I actually purchased a used one from a member, but was set on getting an optima. And this just happened to come out in a yellow top. I had a stock battery and it would die in 2-3 days of I didn't start the car. My car also has a viper security and remote start system, HID headlights and fogs, twin 10in sub-woofers and amp.

When I get a min I will take some pictures of the battery installed

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I actually purchased a used one from a member, but was set on getting an optima. And this just happened to come out in a yellow top. I had a stock battery and it would die in 2-3 days of I didn't start the car. My car also has a viper security and remote start system, HID headlights and fogs, twin 10in sub-woofers and amp.

When I get a min I will take some pictures of the battery installed

Cool, I'd like to see the pics. I just ordered an Optima Red Top 34/78 from Amazon.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
2012-05-02_17-41-13_64.jpg

2012-05-02_17-41-19_656.jpg

2012-05-02_17-41-25_112.jpg

2012-05-02_17-41-35_160.jpg

2012-05-02_17-41-42_999.jpg

2012-05-02_17-42-01_499.jpg

Where to cut
2012-05-02_17-41-52_861-1.jpg

2012-05-02_17-41-19_656-1.jpg

The Red arrow shows the center part of the battery tray that I saved in order to better support the battery and keep it from moving back and forth in the tray itself. I literally just used a hack saw and marked and cut where the front cylinders of the battery were touching the battery tray. Then cut slots for them. Snapped the two portions needing removing (front side of tray) and the middle stayed. Bolted the Battery holder down and walla. perfect

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I installed my Red Top Optima as per the OP's instructions in the first post. The instructions are good, the only thing I would add is the measurements of where to cut. Here's a pic of the front edge of the tray straight-on to show roughly where to cut (obviously I cut off too much from the right side):

P1050139.jpg

The tray's plastic is really soft. I was able to remove the vertical piece that was to be removed by clamping it into a bench vise and just snapping it off. Saves the trouble of getting out a cutting wheel or fiddling with a saw. It only took about 25 minutes to do the whole battery swap from start to finish.

Last edited:

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Need a new battery for my '04, and am prety sick of crappy batteries that only last a year or two.

I like the idea of keeping my battery tray uncut, as previous posters claim with the optima 75/35 (Optima GT application??)

Is there any advantage to going with the "Part # 34-78, Model # 3478DT" and cutting the tray?

Anyone know if Tousley Ford still sells these? I will try to call them on it, but I am traveling for work this week and wont have a ton of time to make calls.

BTW: My cobra is pretty stock. I have added Jamie's StartNcharge alternator, but the motor and stereo is pretty much stock.

Users who are viewing this thread