I need your help: What should I get 99-04 GT SOHC or S197 3v???

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I am finding this really amusing. All jokes aside, they're slow. I haven't won a race with it. I was out of the mustang game for awhile and wanted back in. I, like most, was on a budget. My father in law was selling his bullitt and gave me a deal on it. It has gears and exhaust. I think I ran a 14.5 at the track. I really like it, but I am not blind to its limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I thought I had shit track weather. lol. I don't think I ever ran quite that slow bone stock. Hell, with intake, exhaust, lowering springs/shocks/struts, rear LCA, tires, and aluminum drive shaft I was running 13.4 with 5000' DA. Not the fastest thing ever but fun and reliable. Done a couple things since, but never made it to the track. Should be at 13.0-ish. Haven't touched the motor.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think anyone is hating on the 2V just that what you want to do is not really doable.

Sure you can make 360rwhp in a 2V, you can make a built 2V a DD. Nobody thinks you can have both. Maybe with a BB or a 5.4 based engine. Not a 4.6 though.

I love the New Edge, I have one at the house and another inbound. Guys with built 4Vs are needing every mod in the book to hit 360rwhp in a DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4a7191a

Established Member
I concur.
It's a money pit to do a 4v n/a to make over 360whp. Then the cams make it a pain to drive. At times wish I would of just gotten a cobra but I still get an awful amount of attention at car shows because most people didn't even know they made mach's in 03-04.
I kept mine all motor simply because it's a mach1 and the whole premise with a mach is the Shaker hood.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I don't think anyone is hating on the 2V just that what you want to do is not really doable.

Sure you can make 360rwhp in a 2V, you can make a built 2V a DD. Nobody thinks you can have both. Maybe with a BB or a 5.4 based engine. Not a 4.6 though.

I love the New Edge, I have one at the house and another inbound. Guys with built 4Vs are needing every mod in the book to hit 360rwhp in a DD.

Why exactly isn't it doable?

Built 4v with every mod in the book to hit 360rwhp?

What in the ever loving hell are you guys smoking?

On what planet would a 3100lb new edge with traction and 300-360rwhp not be enough on the street? Then throw nitrous on that and you have covered most of your bases. That would be a solid high 10 second car at the track.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I concur.
It's a money pit to do a 4v n/a to make over 360whp. Then the cams make it a pain to drive. At times wish I would of just gotten a cobra but I still get an awful amount of attention at car shows because most people didn't even know they made mach's in 03-04.
I kept mine all motor simply because it's a mach1 and the whole premise with a mach is the Shaker hood.

$1000 set of cams do suck ass. I wouldn't call that a money pit though.

2v can make just as much power N/A as a 4v now days it seems.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
If 360rwhp in a 4.6 2V NA is so easy then link is to numerous ones making that power.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
My lightning sucked driving around town doing normal stuff when it was a stick. The cams made it suck. So to make a long story short, i dont recommend a 2v cammed daily with a stick.

Id always go for a the newer 3v just so the chassis/interior is more modern. Plus parts should be easier to get.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
On what planet would a 3100lb new edge with traction and 300-360rwhp not be enough on the street?

Big difference between 300 rwhp and 360 rwhp on the 2v.

its not that 360 isn't enough, its just that its not going to be streetable on a NA 2v.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Think he was being fairly serious.

Member here of the thread I linked in this thread in a previous post made 353 STD, which is inflated, so, more like 338-340 RWHP with H/C+Full bolt-ons.

I have NOT seen very many 360 RWHP 2V's N/A unless they had extremely aggressive setups, custom grind cams, race gas, every bolt-on/tweak imaginable, etc.

As far as making the same power as 4V's nowadays, are you suggesting 5.0's, or the older style 4.6 4V cars?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Think he was being fairly serious.

Member here of the thread I linked in this thread in a previous post made 353 STD, which is inflated, so, more like 338-340 RWHP with H/C+Full bolt-ons.

I have NOT seen very many 360 RWHP 2V's N/A unless they had extremely aggressive setups, custom grind cams, race gas, every bolt-on/tweak imaginable, etc.

As far as making the same power as 4V's nowadays, are you suggesting 5.0's, or the older style 4.6 4V cars?

Sorry, 4v to me is still 4.6. Otherwise I would have specified Coyote.

Regardless if I'm off a couple hand fulls of RWHP, I don't care. I have never been one to race on the dyno anyways. I much prefer the track, I've found it to be more sticky.

My idea of a starting point would be TFS heads, CMS stage3 cams, Edelbrock Jr intake, and supporting mods. At least something like that. To hell with "custom cams", they are a crock of shit IMO. Everything I've had in the past I've been pleased with performance wise and I doubt this would be any different.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Sorry, 4v to me is still 4.6. Otherwise I would have specified Coyote.

Regardless if I'm off a couple hand fulls of RWHP, I don't care. I have never been one to race on the dyno anyways. I much prefer the track, I've found it to be more sticky.

My idea of a starting point would be TFS heads, CMS stage3 cams, Edelbrock Jr intake, and supporting mods. At least something like that. To hell with "custom cams", they are a crock of shit IMO. Everything I've had in the past I've been pleased with performance wise and I doubt this would be any different.

Fair points.

I've seen a few 96-98 Cobra's make 375+ RWHP N/A with H/C + Bolt-ons.

I agree on the track times 110%. I haven't seen too many fast N/A 2V's locally, but, I've seen extremely fast 2V's with blowers, bolt-ons, slicks/skinnies breaking bottom 11's / high 10's.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Fair points.

I've seen a few 96-98 Cobra's make 375+ RWHP N/A with H/C + Bolt-ons.

I agree on the track times 110%. I haven't seen too many fast N/A 2V's locally, but, I've seen extremely fast 2V's with blowers, bolt-ons, slicks/skinnies breaking bottom 11's / high 10's.

Stick around. I will show you something not seen often with a NA 2v, I can assure you of that. As a new father of 3 I can't say how soon sadly, but it will happen.

Who thinks 400rwhp NA? :) :)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Stick around. I will show you something not seen often with a NA 2v, I can assure you of that. As a new father of 3 I can't say how soon sadly, but it will happen.

Who thinks 400rwhp NA? :) :)

Not with a 4.6. Would need to be a 5.4 to be doable.

Users who are viewing this thread