Like your Nitto's?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
havent had them on a shelby but Ive had different Nittos on my lightning and one mustang, never was impressed with any of them

RBB

Established Member
I'm pretty happy with my 555Rs. I can stick everything but 1st gear out on the street when it's warm out.

barspen

Established Member
For the street? Continental DW (for warm climate) are great all around tire IMHO.

For the track, Nitto NT01 are excellent and the closest thing you can get before going to slicks. They pull up too many rocks, leaves, lizard bones and palo verde twigs for a DD, but some people are OK with the trade off for great traction and fast wear.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have Invos on my weekend cruiser and very satisfied. Quiet, smooth ride and decent traction. Better in every way than the OEM Goodyears. I also like them more than the MPSS I had previously.

Tom

Troponin

Established Member
If you plan on dealing with some wet conditions, the 555Rs aren't bad. Also, they last a bit longer, on average, than Street ETs. That being said, MT ETs are probably the best DRs for dry conditions.

If it's a DD, consider the new PS4s that Michelin will be bringing out soon. Fantastic wet traction, good dry traction, but they will be pricey. The PS2 and Super sports retail for about $400+ for 305s, so expect to pay at least that much.

A less expensive tire to also look out for soon is the Indie 500. Looks like they will have limited sizes though. It's another extreme summer performance tire, so also not a DR.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If you are talking about Invos:

For regular driving, and not using more than 1/2 throttle the Invos are very good, and are nice and quiet. For anything over 400rwhp, they are totally useless.

I would give them a 9/10 for daily driving, aka driving like a cop was behind you, and a 1/10 for any kind of performance driving. Their performance driving rating is soooo bad, that it makes the car as useless as the stock Spinyears.

My next tire is going to either be the DW version 2.0, or MPSS version 2.0. Both are to be released this Spring.

Note: I am running 20" rims, so perhaps this is part of the traction issue. I will be going back to the stock 19" rims with the new tire purchase, and save the 20" rims for cruises and car shows.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Nt05r for the steet. E/Ts for the track. Nt05rs hook very well on the street. But only last 2-3k miles. Thats all i put on in a season tho.

SROLD

Established Member
have had 2 sets of 555 on street on my 03 terminator which sees no track time. based on price, wear, noise and grip for the street they are great. seem much better than original goodyears. would buy again in a heartbeat.

DropSVT

Established Member
I was able to hook in first using 555DRs only went 2k miles though... Switched to 555 street version so i can get longer life and still only got 2k miles out of them lol.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

sleek98

Established Member
I used a pair of 275/40/20 555R's this past year, they have around 2500 miles on them.

First was useless at the 680 whp mark. Second would hook if they were warm and the pavement was warm.

I think they still have 2.5-3/32s left on them so they have held up very well. But I didnt do any big smokey burnouts either.

Now that I have the auto 1st, 2nd and 3rd are useless but its also not very warm out and they are a year old, I was driving when it was 50 outside so I think thats the bigger factor.

Last edited:

1st usa car

Established Member
I used a pair of 275/40/20 555R's this past year, they have around 2500 miles on them.

First was useless at the 680 whp mark. Second would hook if they were warm and the pavement was warm.

I think they still have 2.5-3/32s left on them so they have held up very well. But I didnt do any big smokey burnouts either.

Now that I have the auto 1st, 2nd and 3rd are useless but its also not very warm out and they are a year old, I was driving when it was 50 outside so I think thats the bigger factor.

I would say that temp. is very important.... i spun tires when I rolled into 4th gear too fast.. going 80mph!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Dw or dws for an all season, excellent tread life but not for racing. 555r is the best daily tire for racing and not suicide in the rain. Another excellent tire you never hear about kumho ecsta xs. Will hook from a roll, excellent in rain and good tread life.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
If you are talking about Invos:

For regular driving, and not using more than 1/2 throttle the Invos are very good, and are nice and quiet. For anything over 400rwhp, they are totally useless.

Depends on the car and suspension. My CTSV A6 has been 11.79 on invo's 1.6x 60ft. On a stick car would probably not 60ft as well.

Back to OP's point. If you're going to DD your car I would get 555r's. I've always have had good luck with them. My GT500 with my terrible driving has been 10.96. Also from a dead 1st gear is pretty useless, but once it spins for a bit in 2nd it hooks and unleashes hell. Plus if I'm not trying to do burnouts everywhere I usually get 10-15K miles out of them.

802gt500

Established Member
740 rwhp here and 555r for the win. I went with nto5r for the end off this season and do not like them. For sale btw. 315/40/18 300 miles. Probably a great track tire but definatly not as good as the 555r on the street.
With the 555r 305/45/18 off idle wot till 2500 or spin, shift to 2nd and wot hook and hang on 9 out of 10 times. with nto5r tried this and spinny spin all of 2nd and into 3rd drifting spinning peddling for traction.
Buddy had toyo proxy seemed ok but id say 555r were better when we raced.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I've gotten 5000-6000 miles off of them on my 04 Cobra with limited track use when I used to daily drive on them. Just replace them just before or when they hit the wear bars or you will hydro plane in wet conditions.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
it depends on if you want a "street tire" or if you want a drag radial. also how much power you are putting down. if your car is stock, any of them will work fine. is the car a DD? does it see wet conditions?

i think nittos are great bang for the buck tires. they work great when new.

for non-drag radials i prefer and recommend mpss. just all around awesome tire. super grippy and will outlast any nittos by a long shot. also work well in the wet. they balance better than any tire ive put on a wheel too. you get your $ worth with mpss. just more upfront cost.

Users who are viewing this thread