Suspension questions - LCA brackets/PHR & lowering springs

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member

matt5058

Established Member
Nice. Thanks.

I have the jounce bumper kit and strut mounting hardware ordered. Just need to get the boots next.

I'm guessing I might need spring compressors to put the strut/spring together?

hand-filer

Established Member
The will definitely get you within the OEM specs for camber.

Just make sure when you take it somewhere for alignment that you have them or they may install camber bolts.

I ran into this actual problem with a garage that had a reputation for working on muscle cars, etc. I installed my new springs/struts/mounts myself, with brand new strut bolts, and took it there for an alignment.

I told the guy at the counter the specs I wanted (-1.6 and 0 toe). I was waiting for the car and while doing so I hear a lot more impact wrench noise than I thought was necessary. And I didn't see the hood up. But I didn't want to be "that guy" that tells professionals how to do their job. More noise... I finally get up and ask the counter guy why all the wrenching and he just tells me he knows what he's doing. I specifically ask him if he told the guy about the plates. He said "yes". About 15 minutes later he tells me it's done but they had to put camber bolts in it to get to my specs!!!!!

I had to stop myself from freaking out. The counter guy didn't tell the mechanic and the mechanic had such tunnel vision that he didn't look up to see the plate. I made them take out the camber bolts, put my strut bolts back in and align it with the plates. I should have made them replace my bolts since technically they are one time use.

What a horror story! This is why I set the camber and toe myself. It's a pretty simple procedure requiring just basic knowledge of geometry, a level, tape measure, some string and 4 jack stands to attach the string to.

matt5058

Established Member
Update:

I finally got all the pieces for the front struts/springs to be assembled. I rented a set of spring compressors from Auto Zone so I'm going to put them together in the next few days. I was planning to try and do the work myself but don't have easy access to a lift or even a garage (+ air tools) at the moment so I just decided to see about having a shop do it plus the alignment. Justin's Performance Center (JPC) in Maryland said they can install the assembled struts/springs in about an hour, which seems reasonable enough. They installed my panhard rod and LCA's a while back and I was happy with the quality of work and their customer service. If all goes according to plan, I'll have everything installed and the car aligned the first week of July.

Thanks to Coz in particular as well as others in the thread who chimed in to help me get this stuff figured out. It's been a learning experience but I'm excited to be almost done with a pretty significant upgrade to my suspension. :cool:

I haven't been to any autocross events this year but hope to give the new setup a try in July or August. I want to try and focus on seat time before doing additional mods, and then see about a better set of tires once I have a garage to store extra wheels in.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Great. Hope everything works out. JPC will probably be able to give you good recommendations for camber & toe settings for autox.

matt5058

Established Member
Ok so before I go too far, just wanted to double check on something. I have the dust boot/jounce bumper aligned like this but saw a few pics of other struts where it looked like the jounce bumper was sitting higher. Should it be pushed up towards the lower strut mount or towards the bottom of the strut, or does it really matter? :oops: IMG-3890.JPG

matt5058

Established Member
It should be all the way up but even if it isn't it will be after your first good bump :)
haha fair enough....so like this? It should be fine with the bottom section being sort of loose and not going all the way down?

IMG-3891.JPG

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
You are working on a fully extended strut. Once it's in the car and your struts and springs are compressed with the weight of the car you will probably not even see a gap between the bottom of the boot and the coil spring shelf.

matt5058

Established Member
You are working on a fully extended strut. Once it's in the car and your struts and springs are compressed with the weight of the car you will probably not even see a gap between the bottom of the boot and the coil spring shelf.

:confused: I feel dumb...lol

matt5058

Established Member
I may have gotten ahead of myself :-/

Bottom mount for one of the CC plates came apart. Initial attempts to put it back together were unsuccessful, wondering if I should call American Muscle and see about getting it replaced. I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow and won't be able to do anything with the struts/cc plates until next Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG-3895.JPG
    IMG-3895.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 311

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
I am not familiar with the J&M units and have no clue if it can be reassembled or not.

Calling AM may be the best way to get a replacement by the time you get back.

matt5058

Established Member
Called AM and they said they will send me a new set, just need to send the old ones back. Given time frame, I asked if there was any way to get sooner and they said I can order a new set, then send the old ones back and they will reimburse me. So I went ahead and did that, should have new ones waiting by the time I get home.

matt5058

Established Member
Didn't have time to update last week but JPC took care of the install on the fronts. I haven't really had much of a chance to unleash it on any corners but the ride quality is pretty good. I can definitely see the front is lower now but it isn't ridiculously slammed which is pretty much exactly what I wanted. I'd eventually like to get some new wheels but I'm pretty happy with how it is looking right now. Thanks again for the help from everyone who chimed in with this thread. This was a pretty interesting learning experience. :cool:

IMG-4911.JPG

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Great that it worked out for you! Let us know your thoughts after you get a chance to take it on some twisties.

Users who are viewing this thread