The future of Shelby? SVT Cobra in 2015?

truefiveo

Established Member
SVT>Shelby all day.

SVT is just cooler, I miss the days of sleeper Mustangs.
When the terminators and new edge cobras and Foxbody Cobras blended in with regular Mustang GTs.

No gay racing stripes and flashy crap, just sleek fascias and cobra/svt emblems.

I really miss 97-2004 era

98WhiteSteed

Established Member
Um... Shelby is the reason we had Cobras. He's also the reason the Mustang isn't a "secratary's car". Not to mention the man that inspired the Viper. Now could you reference him being a scam artist? I'd love to read about it. Seriously.

His Carroll Shelby Foundation was in violation more than once for extremely low percentage of donations actually being used for the stated purpose. Less than 1%. From hearing that, I never had an ounce of respect for the man. Gearhead? Sure, jerks can be gearheads too.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Since carroll shelby is not around anymore I feel that the " true " Shelby's are the 2007-2013 he was involved in the development of those cars the new ones will simply carry on the GT500 name plate .

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Many people clone Torino Cobras and the originals bring plenty of money. I think YOU misunderstood me. You implied that the older crowd didn't respect the Cobra name on vehicles other than the roadster when that obviously isn't the case. If the older generation didn't have the recognition of the Cobra name outside of Shelby Ford wouldn't have spent years advertising it. So which is it?

oh, thats not what i meant. i just think that when the older crowd hears "cobra" they think of the old school roadster. you have to throw mustang or torino in front of it for them to think of that car. if you just say "man i love the old cobras" nobody is going to think of a grand torino. except for maybe grand torino owners. the mustang had the cobra jet. but there wasnt an actual "mustang cobra" until 1993 (not counting the lamo mustang II thing or shelbys).

in fact, i bet if you ask your average non-car guy baby boomer what they think of when you say "mustang cobra" they will likely either think of a shelby mustang or a 90s+ up (because they knew someone who had one, or wanted one). ask your 50 year old auntie (or female neighbor) if they liked the old classic mustang cobra jet. see what they say lol. i bet you most women have no clue what a mustang cobra jet or grand torino is/was lol. im not saying i dont like torinos. i think theyre cool. but of all the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s theyre not exactly high on the popularity/desireability list. otherwise we'd see them all over the place. and ford would also resurrect the name.

but we're starting to derail the thread here lol.

and im not saying ford cant sell hipo mustangs without shelby plastered on them, but they sure as hell sell more, quicker and for higher amounts (mark ups) with it

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
Since carroll shelby is not around anymore I feel that the " true " Shelby's are the 2007-2013 he was involved in the development of those cars the new ones will simply carry on the GT500 name plate .

Like said before they are gonna milk his name dry.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It's amazing that some of you here don't get that.

SVT builds and designs the car with a LITTLE input from Shelby. Sticking the name on the back is a mostly for marketing.

Pretty sure 98% of the people here know that.

The marketing is why its not going away even if the car is really engineered by SVT.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Pretty sure 98% of the people here know that.

The marketing is why its not going away even if the car is really engineered by SVT.

so many other people dont lol. the other night my daughter's friends father who is in his late 40s saw i was wearing a Shelby Tshirt. he asked if i owned one and i said yes. he said "wow. you must be wealthy!" i lol'd and said its an 07 and cost what a regular car cost. and then he was going on about how special they are and that shelby helped design it and blah blah blah. i broke the news to him that Ford did everything and the only "real" modern shelbys are the ones made at SAI. he was like "oh" :(

id love to see shelby in svt hq in his wheelchair and hat going over the blueprints for the 07 5.4 motor and suspension lol. that guy was sitting back at home enjoying his retirement and the millions he makes off his name. and good for him. he did his part way back in the day. if anyone is exploiting the name its FORD! :poke:

if someone offered you a few million $ a year to put your name on the car im sure every one of you/us would say **** yeah! :rockon::-D
his name sells cars. ours wouldnt lol

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
hell just last week i was talking to a guy who bought his 07 gt500 brand new at the dealership and he completely thought that the gt500s were shipped to SAI in vegas and built there, then sent to the dealerships. i schooled him on it and he was like wow. i didnt know that. hopefully i didnt depress him :bash:

VictorySong

Established Member
oh, thats not what i meant. i just think that when the older crowd hears "cobra" they think of the old school roadster.

Ok. I agree but, the Cobra name has been a proven seller for Ford in the 60s and more recently. I'd love to see SVT benefit from the treatment Fiat is giving SRT. They have essentially become their own brand and while that probably isn't practical for Ford, some good marketing/identity in the performance car world would be great.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Ok. I agree but, the Cobra name has been a proven seller for Ford in the 60s and more recently. I'd love to see SVT benefit from the treatment Fiat is giving SRT. They have essentially become their own brand and while that probably isn't practical for Ford, some good marketing/identity in the performance car world would be great.

agreed. SRT is making some "bold moves" now lol. svt needs a ralph guiles! another john colleti. they need another halo car like the FGT!

something the Viper boys will think twice about and the vette boys will envy. so we can say the ZR1 is just another corvette. the GT is a real super car! lol. even though the ZR1 is badass, its still a vette. just like how they say the GT500 is "just a mustang". right now SRT's Viper is the only extra special domestic super car, again. :(

and id love to have any of them. of the ZR1 and the viper. i think id realistically take the ZR1, even though the Viper is unique. doesnt really matter, i cant afford any of them lol

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don't see how you guys don't think Jamal is the man for job? He's had his hands on just about every performance vehicle Ford has put out and it has been a success. The Raptor, his masterpiece of the moment was his idea and even when many on here doubted it from the beginning, has proven to be an icon and driven outsiders to the F150; Ford's most important line. Imo, Hameedi is the better man to have the Gilles, but I assume he's held back by the politics within the company ensuring they have a bright future.

He's in touch with what the enthusiasts want and from what we've seen he's one step ahead.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I don't see how you guys don't think Jamal is the man for job? He's had his hands on just about every performance vehicle Ford has put out and it has been a success. The Raptor, his masterpiece of the moment was his idea and even when many on here doubted it from the beginning, has proven to be an icon and driven outsiders to the F150; Ford's most important line. Imo, Hameedi is the better man to have the Gilles, but I assume he's held back by the politics within the company ensuring they have a bright future.

He's in touch with what the enthusiasts want and from what we've seen he's one step ahead.

thats true. i forgot about him. he does seem very enthusiast oriented. hopefully he can convince the brass to bring back a FORD super car. not a lincoln :bored:

04sleeper was chattin jamal up at sema. he was hanging out in fords booth just talking to people. jamal, not 04sleeper lol

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
agreed. SRT is making some "bold moves" now lol. svt needs a ralph guiles! another john colleti. they need another halo car like the FGT!

something the Viper boys will think twice about and the vette boys will envy. so we can say the ZR1 is just another corvette. the GT is a real super car! lol. even though the ZR1 is badass, its still a vette. just like how they say the GT500 is "just a mustang". right now SRT's Viper is the only extra special domestic super car, again. :(

and id love to have any of them. of the ZR1 and the viper. i think id realistically take the ZR1, even though the Viper is unique. doesnt really matter, i cant afford any of them lol

I would take a FGT or new Viper.

The ZR1 sounds like crap and its as boring as a reg C6.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I would take a FGT or new Viper.

The ZR1 sounds like crap and its as boring as a reg C6.

i would take a FGT over any super car. i dont care for vette exhaust sound much myself but i could certainly live with it with a ZR1. but i cant afford any of them anyways lol.

truefiveo

Established Member
i would take a FGT over any super car. i dont care for vette exhaust sound much myself but i could certainly live with it with a ZR1. but i cant afford any of them anyways lol.

Me either, I would rather rent one anyway.
None of these cars I care to own and maintain anymore.
Just wanna rent one on a weekend and rip it to hell and return it.

Rotzs99

Established Member
SVT>Shelby all day.

SVT is just cooler, I miss the days of sleeper Mustangs.
When the terminators and new edge cobras and Foxbody Cobras blended in with regular Mustang GTs.

No gay racing stripes and flashy crap, just sleek fascias and cobra/svt emblems.

I really miss 97-2004 era

This, Being 16 at the time of the New Edge stangs, I think they'll always be my favorite stylistically. I know I'm probably more in the minority here, but I was real disappointed they went retro in 05. I wanted to see the evolution of the New Edge with a better chassis under it. Instead, cars got bigger and the styling was sent back 40 years.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Well being the platform isn't really "all new" under the S550, Im certain the Shelby name will hang around for a few years, but the Cobra will return...
(Z28 killer)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sadly, I think the SVT name has faded underneath the Shelby name that the majority today equate with big power Mustangs. I do hope we see another Cobra down the line. We can hope!

Users who are viewing this thread