Those With LT Headers and 02 Sensor Issues....

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Wondering what finally resolved your issues....my car seems to use 02's every so often...i have bbk long tube headers....codes are either 02 heater related or the 2195 and 2197 codes....read alot And also been told that it could be 02 sensor positioning being to far from the oem positioning, bad angle, meaning not pointed downward like the oem position...to close to a particular chamber and not far enough back to where all chambers merge...alot of this and that...when looking at my bbk's the sensors are positioned about 2 inches after the chambers meet in the collector on a relatively flat non angle...i had extensions previously and when i went through my first set i removed them and found that the 02's can infact reach without the extensions....a few months passed problem free and last week it came up again...so about to swap in another set of sensors and just wondering if their is a descent solution other then going back to stock headers or having to remove and modify my existing headers...just dont wanna have 02 sensor issues especially now that im in the midst of putting a paxton kit on....any suggestion or solutions from those that have or had this problem and were able to correct it would be great...appreciate any info/insight...

Last edited:

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
I have the JBA LT w/ JBA catted H, and dont have any issue so far...but it has been only a week of running it.

I have read the same about the 02 sensor issues and E85.

naeem5oh

Established Member
thank you for making this thread. i had been running extensions but check engine light was on since the day i installed the bbk headers. i got rid of the extenders and my car was so much more reactive and responsive, i got rid of all low end torque loss/lag. but now the lights are on again and the car seems to have that WOT lag. my dyno before the extenders were takin out showed 424 hp/ 320tq which showed that i was taking a hit on torque. i wasnt able to get a "measured air fuel" (lambse 1 and 2) to record when datalogging with the extenders. i know i had a blown fuse under the hood. its one of the three 15 amp fuses on the passenger side (not sure which one). when i was researching last week, i found that a turbo 3.7 was having the same problems and found the fuse was blown due to the sensors. once replaced his car put down 50 more tq on the dyno.

N20JUNKY

Established Member
I have stainless works long tubes and haven't had a problem other then the drive cycle not setting in the two years I've had them on

naeem5oh

Established Member
i would check the fuses first and try to datalogg on ur computer to see if it reads "measured air fuel"... if it doesnt then i think ur going to have to replace the sensors

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Had three 02 sensors go out in 3,000 miles so went back to gas and have not had a problem since. Can easily switch to E85 and I keep a spare 02 sensor in the car in case it is needed.

mhyjek

Established Member
Have stainless works with cats 2k on them no codes, no perceived torque loss.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
pretty sure its the e85 in your case....i went with factory ford replacements and so far im on pump gas...so far about 90 miles since install and cel has stayed off...still keeping fingers crossed...

Shaun@AED

It has to do with Moisture getting on the O2 element and internally fracturing the ceramic heated tip.

Water is a byproduct of combustion (Especially with E85) and when the engine is cold there is not enough heat in the exhaust pre-O2 to vaporize the water before hitting the O2. Proper O2 placement is on the top side with tip pointed down. Any water that hits the tip of the O2 will run off before getting to the heated ceramic internals. Having the O2's at 3 O'clock (typical aftermarket practice) and there is a chance the water will penetrate the tip and cause problems. Having the O2's 'Tip Up' and you will likely go thru O2's frequently.

The O2 has a heated element inside a ceramic tip that is heated to 600+ degrees. Any water that hits this hot tip will cause the ceramic to instantly shatter, resulting in a failed O2 sensor.

The reason E85 *seems* to make things worse is because there is more water produced during combustion than with Gasoline.

Relocating the O2's 'Tip Down' will resolve this problem, of course proper angle and placement is difficult to achieve due to lack of space.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I will be posting pictures of before and after for my pypes long tubes with relocated 02 bungs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Famine

Established Member
Anyone have the thread showing where to relocate the o2's? I would like to see some others' pics before going out and trying to relocate mine. Debating if it's even worth it just to get a few hp with the e85.

Shredd

Established Member
Anyone have the thread showing where to relocate the o2's? I would like to see some others' pics before going out and trying to relocate mine. Debating if it's even worth it just to get a few hp with the e85.
I have the Pypes headers and mine arent angled properly. I will be relocating mine like Blazer did because it gets costly replacing upstream O2 sensors and yes its worth it for E85 If you can get it. Car runs smoother,faster and no stinky exhaust. Here is the link you asked for http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...be-Header-Fix-With-PICTURES!-No-More-bad-02-s!

Users who are viewing this thread