• Ostriches are cool, I guess

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
That 6.2 has not got or will never get 16.

Bought a used Raptor as an investment? LMAO. Ive heard it all.

Jumping creek beds and hauling deer sure do sound like exactly what that truck was built for!

Thumbs up Champion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smm7PT

Established Member
That 6.2 has not got or will never get 16.

Bought a used Raptor as an investment? LMAO. Ive heard it all.

Jumping creek beds and hauling deer sure do sound like exactly what that truck was built for!

Thumbs up Champion!

Yes I'm the idiot because there is no possible way I could know my current fuel economy or how much money I made on a truck several years ago....

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Honestly?

I would just buy a used 5.0L 4x4 F150, buy a positive displacement supercharger and the top of line Baja suspension, wheels, tires, and fender flares, then laugh at the Raptor owners as I leap over them with my horn blaring "Dixie".

.....and still have $40k left over for hookers and blow

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If I lived where parking cost $1k a month, I wouldn't own a car. If you are not going to use it much, rent one when you want one. Little podunk town I live in has places that will rent you damn near any car you may want to drive. I would imagine big cities have even more options.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Geez! Come on guys. Is it really necessary for some to criticize the opinions of others? And a thread getting derailed as a result? The OP asked for opinions, so when they're posted, can't those opinions be respected? Take a deep breath. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, then just state your own without getting personal. JMO.

Oh, and OP, do whatever you think is best for you after reading the comments many have posted. Everyone's situation is different and in the end you should do what works for you. There's no denying that the '18 Raptor is an awesome truck. And expensive. If you want one and can afford it, and you've weighed the pros and cons, do what works for you. If you do end up buying one, I wish you the best with it.

CV355

_
Established Member
Remove "NYC" from the equation and I vote YES, otherwise it is a "No way in hell" from me.

If I lived in NYC, I would buy the cheapest, ugliest car possible.
More people = more idiots
More idiots = more risk of damage to what you own (also, higher taxes!)

I'd move to Antarctica if there was a grocery store and a gas station there.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
While I never took my 2012 to the Baja or jumped it, we took it off road plenty of times on trips to Colorado on old mining trails all over the mountains. You don't have to beat the shit out of it to enjoy it.

My 2018 will be the same way. We are already planning another trip to CO next spring so it will see some trail time.

But, I'd vote no just based on the parking/NYC situation.

08mojo

Established Member
Another no vote here--solely based on the statement that you will be in NYC for the next 2-3 years. I cannot imagine the headache a truck that wide would bring every time you want to drive it. Since you will be in NYC, I think you should get a Focus RS.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I vote Yes, but my vote is adjusted to the thought you should store it outside of the city where parking isn't insane.

IE. find a small storage unit place, stick it in one of those for a hundred bucks a month, go get it when you want to drive it, and then when you move away you still have your truck.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you want a Raptor?

They aren't that much wider, than a regular F-150 but aren't exactly easy to drive in cities/compact spaces. The new ones are a lot quicker/faster/nicely done inside, but they still are a big truck. Mileage in city will suck. Taken my old Screw through some "real" cities it was a PITA at times.

While these trucks, even the Gen 1s still, hold their value very well, just don't see the point of dropping that type of coin for a vehicle that won't be driven much. Especially in NYC.

You can always get one, for cheaper, after those 2-3 years in NYC. They aren't Ford GTs.

FWIW, you really have to be driving above your level/reckless to "ruin" a Raptor. A lot of frame bending came from the 10-12's, pre reinforced frames, from guys thinking it was a trophy truck out of the factory. AKA going to fast for the stock suspension to handle. Plenty of guys have gone to big events like TRR/Snowball and others with a stock truck, pushed it, and come away with a non damaged truck. Ford did do a good job on both Gens.
Just like any performance vehicle, on or offroad, know your and the vehicles limits, and you can still have fun and not take the vehicle back on a tow truck.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I vote Yes, but my vote is adjusted to the thought you should store it outside of the city where parking isn't insane.

IE. find a small storage unit place, stick it in one of those for a hundred bucks a month, go get it when you want to drive it, and then when you move away you still have your truck.

This was kinda what thinking, but more along the lines of friends/family outside the city where he could leave it. Either option beats the hell out of paying a mortgage to park a car in NYC.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
If you want a Raptor buy it. Check into your orders, the military units I've seen in the city are stationed in the outer boroughs not Manhattan. The only base I know of with housing is in Brooklyn and parking there will not be an issue. Even if you had to work in Manhattan you wouldn't have to live there and comuting to work could easily be done by train, like most people.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Remove "NYC" from the equation and I vote YES, otherwise it is a "No way in hell" from me.

If I lived in NYC, I would buy the cheapest, ugliest car possible.
More people = more idiots
More idiots = more risk of damage to what you own (also, higher taxes!)

I'd move to Antarctica if there was a grocery store and a gas station there.

This. I had an uncle live in Chicago. His front and back bumper where beat to crap from people hitting it when "parking." He had one of those nicer Lexus SUV's too.

If you are wanting to simply get the truck to save for later use, buy it and store it somewhere cheap (out of the city) and buy a beater car with the money you would have spent for parking in NYC. Use the beater until you get out of that city. When everything is all said and done you still have a pristine truck, that year of truck you wanted, and hopefully save some money at the same time.

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Do you want a Raptor?

They aren't that much wider, than a regular F-150 but aren't exactly easy to drive in cities/compact spaces. The new ones are a lot quicker/faster/nicely done inside, but they still are a big truck. Mileage in city will suck. Taken my old Screw through some "real" cities it was a PITA at times.

While these trucks, even the Gen 1s still, hold their value very well, just don't see the point of dropping that type of coin for a vehicle that won't be driven much. Especially in NYC.

You can always get one, for cheaper, after those 2-3 years in NYC. They aren't Ford GTs.

FWIW, you really have to be driving above your level/reckless to "ruin" a Raptor. A lot of frame bending came from the 10-12's, pre reinforced frames, from guys thinking it was a trophy truck out of the factory. AKA going to fast for the stock suspension to handle. Plenty of guys have gone to big events like TRR/Snowball and others with a stock truck, pushed it, and come away with a non damaged truck. Ford did do a good job on both Gens.
Just like any performance vehicle, on or offroad, know your and the vehicles limits, and you can still have fun and not take the vehicle back on a tow truck.

+1 Don't really like my truck in Manhattan but there are plenty of Range Rovers and other large SUVs so it's not that out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread