Well that didn't last long...

paluka21

Established Member
OP- I agree with the need for a leakdown/compression/bore scope at this point. You don't know how this car was treated prior to you driving it and owning it. It's impossible to say how the dealer treated it or anyone who drove it prior to your ownership.
Here's a suggestion out in left field: Does the car come with any kind of warranty from the dealer, like a 30 or 60 day guarantee? I know it's a long shot but if you haven't driven the car much and you're dissatisfied with the vehicle, could you return it to the dealer?
Many years ago I purchased a used car from a local lot. Brought the car home and it leaked coolant from the freeze plugs, in addition to a few other issues that surfaced within the first two weeks of me owning the car. The dealership offered a warranty for the car, which I wanted to exercise for the issues. After reviewing the repairs required they offered me the option to return the car to them or perform the repairs.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that's a 90mm idler, so you can assume the pulley has been changed. To be able to run the 127mm JLT, it has to have a tune to even run. However, I think JLT had a stock replacement tube too. I'd run that tank empty and stay out of boost. Your car has knock sensors, so it may just be crap gas.

Zemedici

Established Member
Moral of the story : Always have cars checked prior to going WOT with them.

When I bought my 03 cobra, I drove from Kentucky all the way back to Atlanta without going WOT one time (god that drive was long and uneventful hahaha)

However, upon inspection at my shop, the car was running 22-23 lbs of boost on pump gas. Woulda blown some shit up.

Since its already modified, have a decent tuner shop check it out, I bet you're fine. Probably bad gas or a shit tune.

SVT1320

Established Member
When I get home I'll measure the pulley the best I can and report back. Thanks again everyone for the great input!

Sure you can. Don't you think everything on the internet is cached somewhere?
Go to: https://archive.org/
In the Wayback machine, enter the URL of the website where the picture was. Pick a date where the website has been "backed up" and you should find pictures of the car.

Funny, I work in the IT field and have never heard of this website, thanks!

OP- I agree with the need for a leakdown/compression/bore scope at this point. You don't know how this car was treated prior to you driving it and owning it. It's impossible to say how the dealer treated it or anyone who drove it prior to your ownership.
Here's a suggestion out in left field: Does the car come with any kind of warranty from the dealer, like a 30 or 60 day guarantee? I know it's a long shot but if you haven't driven the car much and you're dissatisfied with the vehicle, could you return it to the dealer?
Many years ago I purchased a used car from a local lot. Brought the car home and it leaked coolant from the freeze plugs, in addition to a few other issues that surfaced within the first two weeks of me owning the car. The dealership offered a warranty for the car, which I wanted to exercise for the issues. After reviewing the repairs required they offered me the option to return the car to them or perform the repairs.

I'll give my dealership a call and have them check it out. The car is under warranty... at least thankfully I have signed papers stating that it is. Is having that done to the car a pretty big job? Just curious.

Last edited:

MastaAce03

Established Member
When I get home I'll measure the pulley the best I can and report back. Thanks again everyone for the great input!

Funny, I work in the IT field and have never heard of this website, thanks!

I'll give my dealership a call and have them check it out. The car is under warranty... at least thankfully I have signed papers stating that it is. Is having that done to the car a pretty big job? Just curious.

It'll take them probably 2-3 hours to do all of that. Could do it in less but it is a dealership. Not a big job at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paluka21

Established Member

paluka21

Established Member
It'll take them probably 2-3 hours to do all of that. Could do it in less but it is a dealership. Not a big job at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. With the easy access to the spark plug holes in these cars its a cake walk to do compression, leakdown, and scoping the cylinders.
I remember the old days of screwing in a leakdown tester in a 302 block with equal length headers....

SVT1320

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply! I forgot it was St Paddy's Day and I had plans with the lady friend.

Yes the crank pulley.
I purchased one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

it allows me to measure pulleys accurately. You can get a good indication of what size pulley you have on the supercharger if you pick one of them up.

I actually had that exact caliper haha. I was in a slight hurry, but I measured across the pulley including the belt which came out to be ~2.64''. I then measured the belt thickness ~0.18 and subtracted that twice to account for the belt thickness on each side of the pulley. So it came out to be roughly 2.28", factoring in my f@#kery and we're looking at what I assume to be a 2.4'' pulley? :confused:

I wonder if it was tuned etc. and the dealer reflashed it back to stock..

My exact thoughts!!

Yes. Snap a pic with your phone and post it. We can tell you what it is.

Good call! Here's the picture. If it's aftermarket, whats the purpose? Google just resulted in people talking about more power haha.
Lower.JPG

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a stock balancer. Oversized pulleys develop even higher levels of boost. It you have a 2.4" on the supercharger, you're pretty much at the limit for pump gas.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Hey SVT1320- sorry to hear about your troubles. IMO - I would be going in another direction and one you may not like to hear.

What type of deal did you agree in terms with the Dealer? You bought the car sight unseen with the impression it was stock. I would be calling the Dealer up and raising some concerns. Is there a 30 day warranty with this dealer or you strike up a term in which you can return the car?

Frankly - I wouldn't pay a dime or payment on the Car. Here's why, if the Engine has damage, Ford most likely will not warranty it because it appears the car has been modified. The upper pulley will void any warranty in most cases, depends on the dealer.

When I bought my 13' model, I flew to Dallas to have the car inspected prior to signing any binding papers on it.

I just don't want to see you go down a rabbit hole that "could" potentially cost you several thousand dollars on repairs. I would be pushing back on the Dealer you purchased it from and asap. If this is a reputable dealer, they should work with you.

Keep us posted and hope it works out well for you in the end.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you take a pick of the CAI that's on the car? If it's JLT's stock replacement, you may be running the stock tune, in which case you will need a tune or go back to the stock 2.7" pulley. I just don't see the car running with a stock tune and a 127mm CAI. After rereading your first post, I realized you've gone through a few tanks of gas. It may well be a crap tune. I'd stay out of boost until you can figure it out.

Sultan AQ

Established Member
If the car is modified maybe he install an x-pipe if he didn't install it correctly when you WOT it might hit the the body of the car underneath the driver or the passenger and it cause that sound. this happend to me.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, that sucks OP! That engine is DEFINITELY not stock. Someone lied about that.
Good luck and keep us posted.

SVT1320

Established Member
Sorry guys for the delay! I had to leave for a week long training thing for work I forgot about and just got really busy. Quick update (definitely will give you guys a final update), had the car checked out (leak down, compression, and scope) thank God everything was fine. So it was apparently a combination of the dealership flashing the ECU back to stock as a few had mentioned and possible bad gas.

Steps taken so far:
Local tuner flashed mild conservative 91oct tune on car. Did a few test runs at WOT with no pinging. Went back for an aggressive 91oct, again no pinging. Yesterday we went for a mild 93oct tune with veryyy little to no pinging, odd right? After a few adjustments we went for an aggressive yet safe 93oct tune. Was getting very slight pinging, still less than originally, but ping nonetheless... dang it! After going over everything we decided to ditch the Murphy USA 93oct and went to a local place that carries "100% pure" 93oct. Did several test pulls at WOT and guess what... zero ping so far :confused:. It was getting late so we called it a night on a good note.

We're going to do some data logging and go from there, just to be sure. Their dyno has been down for maintenance this week, but should hopefully be back up by Friday. Im not calling it a victory yet! The weather is supposed to be bad these next few days so it might not be until Saturday or early next week to hopefully finish this up! Theres also a wild card in that my throttle body might be jacked up... so we'll see :mad:.

Thanks again EVERYONE for the great input and advise!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread