03 Cobra IRS + Mach 1 = a big mess

Azure Mach1

Established Member
It appears the 03 IRS is no match a Mach 1 either as I exploded the rear cover last night.

I down shifted from 4th to 2nd at about 40 mph hitting the gas hard to pass a car and boom! The only thing I can figure is that the cover must have been stressed by the owner of the Cobra it came out of. I know the previous owner like to drag race at the track quite often and that is why we swapped rears.

I was less than a mile from home so hopfully the gears will be fine.

I don't drive the car often and wanted to feel its accelleration. :bash:

The dealer discounted the a new cover for me at $54. Their cost is about $44 and a Steeda IRS brace cost me $129 + shipping. The aggravation of changing it bothers me more than the cost. I guess I'll see if I can change it without removing the axles.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Azure Mach1

Established Member
It looks like the diff cover can be changed by removing the driveshaft, front mount bolts, exhaust, and slding the diff forward a little. Does anyone know if this will work? Or do the axles have to be removed? I'd rather not remove the axles if I don't have to.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Your mistake is not having a Billetflow cover brace. Over 700 installed with 0 breakage.

Can Steela say that?
Or the Routhoust?
Or the Jipoff version?

Edit: wow was I way off on the number.

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
when you get it from BilletFlow, you know it's the best! :coolman:

Azure Mach1

Established Member
I agree that BilletFlow has very nice parts, but unless your willing to make up the difference in price for me I'll buy the item I can afford. I work for an airline and as we all know they aren't doing very well so every penny I save is very important for me. You people who criticize others for where they spend their money are out of line and need to get a life.
I got the Steeda for less money and unless someone has done side by side test I don't see how anyone can say its not as good. Even BilletFlow says Steeda copied their design so in reality it's probably just as good with the extra bolt being a gimmick to get you to buy.
Even if it's not quite as strong I'm not putting down big power numbers and the stock cover should be adequate. Any brace adds a measure of insurance and will be more than strong enough for my application.
So, how's about a little less criticism on my choice of vendors and a little more help? Like, can this thing be changed without pulling the axles?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Azure Mach1 said:
It appears the 03 IRS is no match a Mach 1 either as I exploded the rear cover last night....

Were you expecting it NOT to break just because it was in a Mach 1? :poke:

Azure Mach1

Established Member
03 DSG Snake,
Actually yes, to tell the truth I figured that if it was strong enough for a cobra I shouldn't have any issues with it. I was wrong. What dissapoints me is that Ford wouldn't make this part a bit stronger.
If I get my parts fast enough I'll have it fixed in a day and be driving again this Monday. I've had this thing apart once before to install the bushings so I'm comfortable working on it. If the cover can be changed without pulling the axles I'll everyone know.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
contact your vendor for technical support.

Now that's ridiculous - why would you want to pay a couple of $$ more for a better product AND 18 X 7 <Doug rarely sleeps> technical support? :shrug:

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
Does anyone make an after market differential cover for the IRS? I found that my cover is now starting to leak. I guess its time to call Doug.

dougwg

Established Member
DontGetBit said:
Does anyone make an after market differential cover for the IRS? I found that my cover is now starting to leak. I guess its time to call Doug.

no need for the cover.... All you need is The BilletFlow IRS Brace ;-)

dougwg

Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Now that's ridiculous - why wouldn't you want to pay a couple of $$ more for a better product AND 18 X 7 <Doug rarely sleeps> technical support? :shrug:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I broke my Billetflow cover brace from doug.
It cracked right down the middle :poke: :burn: :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread