03 Cobra IRS + Mach 1 = a big mess

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
serpentnoir said:
When I weld 1/4" stuff, the TIG welder is the last thing on my mind. You just can't get enough heat to obtain good weld penetration. The fused depth becomes questionable at best.

would you like to quote the job for BilletFlow?

call him at 313-388-8228

wjfawb0

Established Member
I've been running a billetflow cover brace on my cobra for close to 20,000 miles. I take off hard on drag radials almost every day on stock axles with the brace. No leaks, cracks or problems here. :beer:

Azure Mach1, if you're not drag racing the car, I don't think you really need upgraded axles. I drag my car a few times a year and mainly keep it on the street. Stock axles are doing just fine here.

SGL

Banned
JB said:
would you like to quote the job for BilletFlow?

call him at 313-388-8228

Thanks but Ford keeps me busy enough designing and making parts for them and filling out all their f...n paperwork as is. The last thing I need is making aftermarket parts for their cars to fix inherent design flaws which could have been fixed 6 years ago before the car was ever launched. :nonono:

Azure Mach1

Established Member
03InThe11s

No worries, These things happen. I've enjoyed every minute I've spent with the IRS since we swapped. I just know my car isn't near as powerful as a Cobra so I'm very surprised this happened. The cover split right through the center of the mount in a jagged pattern. I'm beginning to suspect it may have had a casting flaw or something in it. Who knows, I'm looking at this as an opportunity to improve my car just a little bit more. :banana:

wjfawb0

I'm with you on the axles. The 03 axles are supposed to be better than the 99-01 axles and those guys aren't ripping their cars apart. Even when I do drag race it's on street tires. I haven't been to the track since I installed the IRS and I'm not one to do burnouts for the hell of it but I do like running the car hard. If I ever break an axle then I'll upgrade.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Azure Mach1,

All kidding aside, I hope you get your car back on the road soon. Just to let you know solid axles aren't immune to cover brakeage. I saw an S spring take huge chunks out of an solid axle cover at Gingerman this weekend.

Azure Mach1

Established Member
updated

So, here is an update for those who are interested.
As I mentioned earlier I was able to remove the old broken cover with the axles & diff still in the car. I swapped out the rear rubber bushing with a M.M poly bushing. When I removed the bracket that holds the rear bushing I noticed two cracks opposite each other in the corners of the bracket. I ground the cracks and welded them back up. This is something to look out for.
I wasn’t able to install the new cover without removing the axles and diff. I suppose with the hole in the old cover there must have been enough room for it to clear everything but the new cover was never going to go back on.
Now the dumb a$$ part, although the gears looked good after assembling everything they howled terribly in that happy spot right between drive & coast. I installed a new set of 4.10 gears and inspected the bearings. The bearings were fine and the new gears quieted everything right up. The old gears don’t show signs of wear and were run less than a mile after the cover broke but apparently that was enough to trash them.
One last tip, fill the diff before you install it. Or if you can’t do that fill it before you put the exhaust on. What a pain in the neck it is to fill one of these, especially with a diff cover girdle installed.

All is well now and this past weekend my car mad 288hp and 306 ft-lb torque at DynoLab with very few mods on a hot & humid day. I’m happy with these numbers. :beer: :banana:

gaazuremach1

Established Member
Dang man, now I am starting to worry about my IRS. I am spraying mine with a 100HP shot and running it hard at the strip. And Friday I am installing a Spec Stage 3 clutch. Sounds like I need to install a diff brace as well.

Sorry I missed the dyno session Saturday but I couldn't get a flight into Atlanta until 2:45 Saturday afternoon. So is the wife going to let you drive her car again?

Azure Mach1

Established Member
She's a bit pissed at me for all the money I spent fixing it but since we are down a car right now (my son got rearened) she doesn't have a choice but to let me drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread