03 Cobra noise

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
The noise doesn't get affected whether clutch is pressed or not. It stays the same

Does it has to be after market subframe connector?
Can I jack up anywhere from pictures?

No, it doesn't have to be with an aftermarket subframe connector. Jack the car up where I have noted in red
2003.gif

noeleven

Established Member
See the 2 holes drilled side by side in the factory subframe. The square/rectangular tube thats just below the holes thats the subframe connector.
In Picture 3
the part with the sticker on it. That hole square tube is your sub frame connector. U can jack anywhere on that square tube and be okay

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thank you guys.
Let me jack up my car right now and try to see where the noise coming from.

Another noise questions.
When I drive and push gas peddle, car makes noise that sounds like an Uhaul truck.
The noise is coming from under the shifter.
Here is video clip.
It is much loud in real life.
Towards the end of video, you can hear more clear.

Any thoughts about this Uhaul truck noise? lol

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Make sure you place jackstands over in this area. It should be a little further up past the hole on the frame to the left of the red square.
imageedit_3_8678266312.jpg

Here's another picture to give you a better idea.
cobra.jpg

noeleven

Established Member
Make sure you place jackstands over in this area. It should be a little further up past the hole on the frame to the left of the red square.
imageedit_3_8678266312.jpg

Here's another picture to give you a better idea.
cobra.jpg
Thank you!
But I have aluminum low profile floor jack but it is too short and my car is lower and can't reach subframe connector to jack the car up...
20170319_204456.jpg
20170319_204426.jpg
I guess I gotta purchase pinch weld seam adapter...

Oscar_SVT_Jr

Established Member
Does the sound go away when you press the clutch?
It does go away after passing 1500 rpm. But once I begin to slow down it begins to rattle again. Very annoying when at a red light, so I've been having to put some pressure onto the clutch pedal when at a red light. Luckily its not a daily and drive it 2 days out the week max. Will be replacing the TOB, PB and clutch, Since I'm sure its still all original.

Sent from my VS995 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

noeleven

Established Member
It does go away after passing 1500 rpm. But once I begin to slow down it begins to rattle again. Very annoying when at a red light, so I've been having to put some pressure onto the clutch pedal when at a red light. Luckily its not a daily and drive it 2 days out the week max. Will be replacing the TOB, PB and clutch, Since I'm sure its still all original.

I did some research on TOB and if it is TOB issue, the noise should go away when the clutch peddle is pressed. Other words, noise should go away when the clutch is disengaged by pressing clutch peddle.
But my noise won't go way by pressing clutch peddle and it is very hard to hear when I drive. I can kind of hear it from shifter area when I sit in my car on idle.
Also, the noise goes away around 1750 rpm on neutral.

Can TOB noise occur even when the clutch peddle is pressed?

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
You might have 2 noises. TOB noise is common.
By the mods it has u have an upgraded spec 2 clutch and BBK adjustable clutch system. Do some research on the aftermarket adjustable cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. Make sure those are set up properly. So u can rule out clutch issues since those are common.

Then look at ur serpentine belt pulleys

noeleven

Established Member
You might have 2 noises. TOB noise is common.
By the mods it has u have an upgraded spec 2 clutch and BBK adjustable clutch system. Do some research on the aftermarket adjustable cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. Make sure those are set up properly. So u can rule out clutch issues since those are common.

Then look at ur serpentine belt pulleys

So you are saying I have TOB/clutch issue?
What makes you think that? Just by how it sounds?
As far as I know, if it is TOB/clutch issue, pressing clutch or release clutch has to make difference on the noise that my car is having.
But clutch is not affecting the noise at all.

noeleven

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I've been posting regarding all the noise that my car makes and here is one of them.
First of all, here is list of mod.

2.8 pulley
JTL cold air intake
Even cooling mod
SCT programmer.
BBK Off road H pipe
Magnaflow MAC catback.
26 spline
Spec stage 2+ clutch.
Spec aluminum Flywheel
BBK adjustable Clutch Quandrant kit
Car has 75000 miles

So when I take off on first gear, like everyone does, I give some gas when the clutch is about to engage while I am release my clutch.
When the RPM goes upto 1500 and drops when clutch engages, the noise comes from tranny area but not sure where it is coming from.
It doesn't happen every time but it happen when I don't give enough gas when the clutch is about to engage so rpm drops then I give gas.
So hard to describe...

Here is video clip for the noise.
The noise is high pitch sound after 1 second of the video

Please help!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Tob has been the most changed part for me..

The cover also can rattle..

Tob can squeak with or without pushing clutch.and can come and go for awhile..

Use a ford bearing it comes packed with grease..

cj428mach

Established Member
Thank you!
But I have aluminum low profile floor jack but it is too short and my car is lower and can't reach subframe connector to jack the car up...
I guess I gotta purchase pinch weld seam adapter...

You can either drive the car up on some 2"x4" boards or maybe start by jacking up the rear of the car first. My car is stock ride height but my jack won't go under the side of the car. I usually just jack up the rear of the car from one of the lower control arms, then put a set of jack stands underneath it and then that allows me to get the jack under the side far enough to get to the front subframe/kmember.

I have one of those pinch weld seam jack plate but I never could figure out how it works so I gave up. The problem is the side skirt pieces on the terminator attach to the pinch weld so you'd have to slip the pinch weld jack plate over the side skirt. At least I could never find a place that it worked and I felt comfortable with.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
We just gonna keep going back and fourth lol. I'm saying to have someone check it and tell him what it is. Then from there he can fix it himself.

I feel It's best to do it yourself if possible. You can't hurt anything by jacking it up looking and posting a few videos and questions. That's part of the fun with owning a muscle car.

In the process of trying to figure out this OP will learn how his car works and the next time he can be the one giving advice.

OP don't give up so easily it's not a DD so u can figure it out.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
So you are saying I have TOB/clutch issue?
What makes you think that? Just by how it sounds?
As far as I know, if it is TOB/clutch issue, pressing clutch or release clutch has to make difference on the noise that my car is having.
But clutch is not affecting the noise at all.
As the others have said it's a very common issue. These things are what tell me to have you investigate it further.

It happens only some times.
At certain rpms and at Red lights
Coming from transmission
You said the noise is coming from right by driver and passenger door from under the car.

Take off the cover over the clutch cable going into transmission and see if the noise is coming through there.

Users who are viewing this thread