03 Cobra? or Z06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
By the Cobra and put the extra $15K down on your house.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
I would've gotten a ZO6 but up here in Canada they cost a bit over 90k. The cobra cost just aroung 60k and for me that's a huge difference. We have to buy winter cars here so the 03 Cobra is a no brainer.
My friend has a 2002 ZO6 and he went 12.6 at the quarter stock. My heavy vert will probably go low 13s but I have a vert and 4 seats.
I love my Cobra.You will too.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I think if you want to drive a car with a million push button do-hickies, feel like a jet fighter pilot with your heads up display and your on star navigation system. The ZO6 is the one. Maybe you can find that dirt bag Osama bin Laden? or The No BS 03 Cobra. Either car is awesome really.

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
my $0.03 worth
it may depend on what you want to do with it and your interest in modding, if you want to & enjoy spending a little time and a little money, modding a car and seeing/feeling what it becomes as you go, the Cobra is the best bet.

Lomancobra

Established Member
I say get the Z06 if you can afford it. You can't beat how light it is and its power for normal aspiration. Heads/cam in that thing and your cruisin. However, the cobra is still an awesome car. Unless you have kids forget about using the back seat. That was one of my original arguments against a vette, and now im considering the rear seat delete just so I don't feel bad when I tell people I am only taking one passenger. Forget about fitting anyone behind the driver unless they don't have legs.

I would've gotten a ZO6 but up here in Canada they cost a bit over 90k. The cobra cost just aroung 60k and for me that's a huge difference. We have to buy winter cars here so the 03 Cobra is a no brainer.

Are you serious? Are you talking canadian dollars or american? If your talking american you should have just flown down to the states and bought a Z06 and then put 10grand into the motor.

beabout

Established Member
I was also going to purchase a z06 when I came upon a 2003 Cobra Convertable..... needless to say I bought the Cobra...:rolling:

1. More horsepower
2. back seat (for grandkids)
3. less insurance

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Well, I do love to modify my cars, and I'm no stranger to performance. I've had 2 Fox body Mustangs (90 and 91 GT's) a 2nd gen Camaro, 3rd Gen GTA Trans Am, a 95 Z28 (396 stroker with nitrous, 700+hp) and now my Saleen. I also had a Hayabusa that I just sold (actually stolen, long story). My goal with either car that I get is to have a SOLID low 11 second car that I can get in and cruise anywhere, have all the creature comforts, and will see occassional track time (once a month or so probably). I know with basic bolt ons and a tune I can get the Cobra there, and with basic bolt ons and either heads/cam or a 150 shot I can get the Z06 there. I don't road race or anything, but I'd like the car to be able to handle at least decently. I know the Z06 handles well, how does the Cobra handle?

StickyFinga

Established Member
Well considering I own both I will give my $.02 on the topic.

Personally if I had to have one or the other it would definetly be the Z. It is lighter, faster, handles better, and in my opinion is far more comfortable because of the better shifter arrangement.

I don't really see the modding advantage to the Cobras other than the fact you will have more money left over after the purchase assuming you would have had the money for the Z06 in the first place. A head/cam Z is gonna be one tough car to beat at the strip.

The biggest reason I like the Z more though is the fact it is damn near a race car. It pulls a 1.00 on the skid pad and handles much more responsively than the Cobra.

For an all out race car...the Z would be the choice

As a daily driver (what my Cobra is used for) I would probably still pick the Z06 but I think it is wasting what it was designed for. Chevy publicizes the Z as a "out of the box race car" and that is definetly what it amounts to.

Another thing I like about the Z06 is the fact it has a unique chassis unlike the Cobra.

Either way you'll be happy, don't get me wrong I like the Cobra but I love the Vette.

Last edited:

thedutt

Established Member
I agree with StickyFinga. (Even though I dont own both, i ride in a z06 regularly). I had to decide been a Z and a Cobra also, I chose cobra since is cheaper and is a vert.
If you do decide to get the Z as a daily driver, be very sure of what you are doing. My buddy wishes he had a beater for daily driving... IMHO, cobra is a very good daily driver which can still smack down some serious competition

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Whichever car I get won't be my daily driver. It'll sit in the garage and only come out when it's nice. I have an 01 F150 for daily duty. Any other input anyone?

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful
Whichever car I get won't be my daily driver. It'll sit in the garage and only come out when it's nice. I have an 01 F150 for daily duty. Any other input anyone?

Ok..one more thing....just come on over and I will give you a ride in my modded 03 Cobra. That will make up your mind right then and there. I know the Z06 is hot...but let one of the Z06 guys in a modded Cobra and let them see how easy it was to mod and get low 11 second times in the 1/4 mile at 127 compared to the Z06. And those times are with the stock IRS and taking it easy out of the hole. We dont have to open the motor up at all.

Handling wise...of course that Vette will do better...thats in a different league. But when that straightaway comes up....if we are close enough in the turn when exiting...they better hold on to their doors :)

I love my Cobra...and yes...she sits in the garage waiting for good weather to go out and play

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

03DOHC

Established Member
Harry, you're letting the secret out! Remember, the 03 Cobra is the slowest lead sled in the land. Everything else is quicker. Hell, a stock neon is faster. The Cobra does 0-60 in 9 seconds flat and cant get out of it's own way. And that's with a 500hp shot of nitrous.:)

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Harry, are the Cobra really THAT much faster than the Z06? I know stock vs. stock they're pretty close. I also know that with $1k in mods the Cobra is smokin. BUT, the Z06 responds really well to mods too. Maybe not as well as the Cobra, but still very well. I've seen bolt on Z06's trapping 120+ before. The LS1's are beasts with heads/cam as well. I would also consider nitrous if I went that way.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Buy them both. We'll if you can't afford that go for the Snake. With some minor mods you'll be smoken the ZO6 with a full wallet.

What he said.

:beer:

99GTP guy

Established Member
Ive had the pleasure of being in both. I Just like the ZO6 better but I do love the whine of the cobra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread