'03 Cobra Owners Poll......'05 Cobra or '03 Cobra?

03 Cobra owers....What will you do when the '05 Cobra comes out?

• Trade in my '03 Cobra for the '05 Cobra no matter what(I need the lastest greatest)

Votes: 61 13.6%
  • Keep my '03 Cobra unless the '05 has more horsepower & larger displacement

Votes: 137 30.5%
  • Keep my '03 Cobra no matter what ( I don't care much for the new design)

Votes: 164 36.5%
  • Keep the '03 and buy the '05 Cobra (two is better that one)

Votes: 89 19.8%

• Total voters

Orange Poison

Established Member
'03 Cobra Owners Poll......'06 Cobra or '03 Cobra?

Just wondering what the current '03 Cobra owners will do when the new '06 Cobra comes out. The new '05 mustang concept is growing on me day by day.

Just wondering what you all think

Last edited:

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
I think you need some different options. I would only sell the 2003 if the new cobra weighed signficantly less, or had more power sufficient to make it faster than the current one. The concept GT has the same engine as the 2003 cobra, so assuming it weighed 400 lbs less, I would jump on it. I don't really know about the stying, but that doesn't concern me as much as performance. Plus, one must factor in any mods into the performance equation, and whether they can be transferred over (if its the same engine, then it's much easier).

Orange Poison

Established Member
Iron,

The second option encompasses what you're stating.....It implies that the '05 will be a better performing car than the '03 by means of higher horsepower and displacement. Would you trade in the '03 then?

Last edited:

Superfly

Established Member
First, there will not be a Cobra in '05. They will debut in '06, so you guys with '03s have time to enjoy your cars before you have to make that decision. Second, it will be a vastly improved car overall. New frame which is much stronger than the current Fox platform. Last I heard they are going to use the same engine as the 03 Cobra, but plenty of time for them to change that. I hope they go to 5.0 mod motor with a S/C.:D Dreaming a little here!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by Superfly
First, there will not be a Cobra in '05. They will debut in '06, so you guys with '03s have time to enjoy your cars before you have to make that decision. Second, it will be a vastly improved car overall. New frame which is much stronger than the current Fox platform. Last I heard they are going to use the same engine as the 03 Cobra, but plenty of time for them to change that. I hope they go to 5.0 mod motor with a S/C.:D Dreaming a little here!

IMHO, I think that Ford could achieve 400BHP N/A with a DOHC 5.0 engine. With the right compression and other little goodies that they have been toying with, I believe that its possible but will not be mass produced. It would be something like a 320bhp GT and a 400bhp Cobra, all N/A. They accomplish several things this way. One - they keep the 03, the only S/C Cobra out there(collectability), and Two - provides the masses to get to 400+rwhp with simple mods.

steeljack

Established Member
I would only trade my 03 Cobra in if they put a 5.4 S/C motor in it with an IRS that could handle hard launches at the track, but this will never happen.

Superfly

Established Member
03snake, valid points. I don't think Ford is thinking about keeping collectability on the 03, they want you guys to trade in for a new model. JK That might happen. Well with the release of their 5.0 Mod Crate Motor that puts out 400-425 HP per Ford, it would be great to see it in the GT. Only thing is it will probably be 320 as you say. Either way we get a much better Mustang over all, no matter what the engine. I know my 99 is real flexible, can't wait to test drive one and compare the chassis'. Any body driven a T'bird or Jag to get a glimpse of this frame from a driving perspective? Is it a lot better than the current Fox platform?

Paul Vincent

Established Member
The new look is one I really like. It is a real improvement over the '03. There was no way my wife would go for the '03 as it looks like a kid's car. But the '05 changes all that.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Ok RedHot, I see your point. I guess the answer would be "yes" if it was appreciably faster without significant mods, and I'm not big on handling (there are no fun mountain roads in Michigan, and I race endurance karts for twistie fun). For example, if the new Cobra is N/A 400hp, then no way would I trade. By the time its available and my warranty is up on the '03, I can cheaply (less than $1000) have over 450 RWHP (over 500 crank) on the '03. To bolt on a supercharger on an '05 ('06 whatever) is a big expense, and creates big warranty problems. Now, if they supercharge the new cobra, and cheap horsepower becomes a reality, then things may change.
I went to the Detroit autoshow last night and saw the new concept. Generally I like it, but not enough to jump on it right away. I really have grown to like the '03, after first not liking it when the '99's came out. I've had (and still have) the older 'stangs ('the new '04 most resembles my '67 in styling), so maybe I just like something different.
All in all, its just speculation. I would be happy, however, if superfly is right and the new Cobras don't come out until '06. That makes my decision alot easier having put lots of miles on the '03 - maybe it will be time for a change then.

Orange Poison

Established Member
IRON,

I agree with your write-up. I feel the same way and I'm sure allot of other '03 Cobra owners do too.

I saw the concept car over here at the L.A. Auto show, and I was not overly impressed. I was hoping the Silver coupe concept would be there, since I think it looks way better than the red vert concept. Better lines.

If my taste changes over time, maybe then, maybe i'll consider the '06 Cobra....IF it has at least 450 horsepower N/A.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I like the syling of the '05 but dont' think I will be able to part with my '03.

I think if they worked on the tail lights it would be much better.

I guess I'll just wait 'til the wife buys one and drive hers :-D

-Brian

Friendchicken

no more trade ups for me. there will always be something better in the following years.

I am completely happy with my 03

lxtacy

Since the platform is changed, and the entire rear suspension will be new....I would imagine it handles a helluva lot better, and possibly no wheel hop! 5G launch on slicks?? Hmm..Maybe!

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Until I know the powertrain and the interior design on the '05, I'll stick with my '03. I like the exterior, but am not too keen on the "red light district" interior with retardo (er, "retro") design.

hoodedsnake

Established Member
I voted to have both in my garage.

This '03 is very special to me for many reasons, for one it's the stang that finally killed of the wannabe pony cars from across town, second it is from Fords 100th anniversary year of production. My '03 was for sale for a short time, I was going to get a SVT tenth model till I saw the interior and the wheels, anyway this '03 will be running me around searching for gas in a Hydrogen run world.......til then.

The '05 mustangs look very sweet from the outside, I agree with Harry about the interior. Take heart Harry, from what I hear the exterior is close to spot on but the interior will likely be very different in final run.
I was on all the boards about four months ago about 5.0 mules running around town but every outward indication is that the 5.0 will NOT find its way into the '05 GT. Most likely is the 3V 4.6 in the GT and the blown 4V 4.6 in the Cobra.
When the '06 Cobra hits the street I'll be in line to get one with the stiffer platform and the lighter overall weight SVT will work wonders with this platform. If all the car rag idiots think they made a silk purse out of a sows ear with our Fox platform Cobras just wait.

PS IRON MACHINE dude you need to get yourself to NW lower or the upper man. Southern Michigan roads blow hard but the roads and the views improve the farther you get North...maybe a trip to IRON MOUNTAIN will change your views about Michigans twisties. If you live around the Detroit metro area PM me and I'll clue you in on some roads within 80 miles of Detroit that are pretty decent for running the Cobra.

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
I drove one of the new T-birds. That car has some "X" bracing underneath. While the power sucks and the size is too small for me (6'7") I did like the ride. I think it could turn into something really special. The chassis has been around for a while. I'm sure the tweaks for the Mustang will be wonderful. I just hope I can fit in one:(

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
zoinks! 6'7", im 5'10 and my head rubs the liner in a tbird unless i crank the seat back........im not quite sure why ford just dosent put the 32v 5.4 from lincoln in and s/c that:??:

Mojo03

Established Member
Easy decision for me. If the '06 has more power, I'll trade in my '03, especially since:

a) it has MORE POWER!

b) it is three years newer.

c) it will be built on a new platform.

d) the styling is retro, which is a very popular way to style a vehicle these days and I like the look.

e) it will be better handling than the 03.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I cant imagine how good my 03 will be running after 3 years of modding (suspension/engine)... I couldnt imagine dumping it just because something is newer (unless i would have already worn my current Cobra out by then). Ask somebody if they'ed trade in there 70 Chevelle SS for that new 05 Chevelle concept thats supposed to be comming out with the LS1.

Users who are viewing this thread