03 Cobra possible blown head gasket, need opinions

Paladin27

Established Member
Ok, so I'll try to be as quick and accurate as possible on my issue. Bought my 03 cobra beginning of Oct. 2011 it had 106,000 miles, ran great for a few weeks, then overheated on the way down to get my cat back installed. Stopped the car when it got hot, luckily I was just pulling into the muffler shop. Let it cool for an hour or so then drove it home. Luckily my house wasn't far and the car didn't have time to overheat again as I drove it home. Thinking it was the thermostat I replaced it and filled the coolant back up. Drove it and got it up to norm operating temp. seemed to be fine. Parked the car, and came back out a few mins. later and theres a pool of coolant under my engine. Drove it down the street to the closest mechanic, the car just barely started to overheat as I arrived at the mechanic. So, the mechanic told me my water pump is shot and that I have a blown headgasket. He said he performed a block test to determine the blown gasket. He explained to me the process of the block test and even did another one while I stood there and watched; the fluid change colors. I told him to fix the water pump and ill just drive it home to park it while I get funds for new headgaskets. Here's the weird part. After the water pump was fixed I asked if the car was going to overheat, the shop said no it shouldn't overheat we drove it for awhile and it ran fine. The shop told me to come back in a week and have the block test again to see if the results were the same, free of charge. I ran my car that weekend and it seemed to run fine, got it up to norm operating temp and all seems well. Brought the car back to the shop a week later for the free block test (I didn't see the results this time). They said it took a bit longer to change color and the blown gasket doesnt seem as bad as when i first brought it in but they insisted that the gasket was still blown. Since Oct. I've drove my car normally and pretty hard at times and it doesnt overheat and doesnt show any signs of a blown headgasket. The only issue I have is that since they fixed the water pump in oct. I had to put a little coolant in the reservoir a week ago because it was a little low. I want to pulley my car soon, but afraid of a possible issue with the heads. A former mechanic at my work said that he at one time did a block test on a trans am and tested positive for a blown gasket but when he pulled the heads, the gaskets were fine and since then he doesnt trust the block test. Any insight, advice, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

SVTDice

Established Member
As far as I know, a blown head gasket is a blown head gasket. I don't think it gets better over time, Honestly I think it goes the other way if it is a blown head gasket.

But honestly, you need to properly burp your Coolant system, Fill from the crossover and get the air out of the system.

Anyways, Honestly you should do a LEAKDOWN & COMPRESSION Test on the motor to make sure everything is okay. One or the other will show if you are running a hurt motor. Anyways, First off you should properly fill and get all out the air out of the coolant system. I'm going to post the process in the link below.

By the way, If it starts to ever overheat again. PLEASE Turn the heat onto max. It could possibly save you the Engine if it happens again. Anyways, If you have any more questions. PM me, I'll be checking this thread again.

Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

toomanytoys

Established Member
As SVTdice said, blown headgaskets dont heal themselves. Do you see airbubbles in the overflow tank while the car is running? Does the oil look like a chocolate milkshake? Any steam coming out of the dipstick tube? How about the plugs, are they white? Any white exhaust? These are all signs of a blown headgasket. Its possible that the car is seeping but if you only added a little to the overflow since last year I highly doubt the gasket is bad (a little evaporation maybe).

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you'd be getting some nice smoke coming from the exhaust, if the headgasket was blown...from what I understand. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

That shop could be needing some business and trying to take you and your pocketbook for a ride. Who knows.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Change the oil that will tell you. If its milky or if you notice anything mixed with the oil you've got problems. If nit just make sure you burp the system properly and your prob good. If the gasket was Blown it would deff be down on coolant, white smoke out the exhaust also.

Just want to add that any time you overheat you have to replace the radiator cap and you have to consider replacing the radiator expansion tank. They tend to get damaged from an overheating episode and then don't seal properly, regardless of how many new caps get put on the tank. Do you know if the cap or tank or both were replaced at the time the water pump was replaced?

And these are important points because its interesting that you've reported that you've been driving the car since Oct and you haven't had a repeat of overheating. You are however losing coolant. Do you pay attention to see if coolant is pushing past the radiator cap? I'm assuming this is where you are going to see it leak from if that cap and tank hasn't been replaced.

I've been through this twice on my 03. Everyone is quick to call a headgasket issue, but you will chase your tail if you don't replace the cap and tank after you overheat. Personally, I think the oem radiator tank is junk. I prefer the aftermarket tanks like the one Moroso makes as they are durbale and won't be destroyed by an overheating episode. So I'd start over as the way that mechanic put things it didn't inspire a great deal of confidence in how he checked the issue.

And if you are going to drain the oil, I'd send out a sample for analysis. Even if the oil doesn't look like its mixed with coolant...depending on the size of hg leak, you could have some contamination in your oil and it might not be easy to eyeball. I've done that too before man. I'd check all these things out before having someone sell me on a hg replacement. But you could also save yourself some time by going to a speed shop with a rep and have them test your coolant again for C02. I wish you well. I hope its just a matter of replacing the radiator cap and radiator tank and reburping the car.

Paladin27

Established Member
I did a lot of research of symptoms of blown headgaskets and have had no visible signs of it blown. I do not have white exhaust, I check the oil a few times a month it looks fine. Like I said I've been driving it as my DD since october when the water pump went and it has not overheated. The shop that replaced the water pump did replace all the coolant and im assuming they burped the system correctly. The overflow cap was replaced after the overheating but i did not replace the tank. Occasionally I'll open the hood after driving the car for a while and the overflow does not leak or spit coolant. Like I said before, since the shop replaced the pump and coolant in october I had to fill the coolant back up to the line last week and it was only down less than an inch. I pulled a few spark plugs, they all look normal and no smoke coming from the dipstick. The only signs that throw up a red flag for me is that there's a drip coming from under the engine towards the rear of the engine and can't pinpoint it, it looks clear and it drips maybe a quarter size to half dollar size in a 24 hour period and doesnt do it all the time, I'm assuming it might be condensation, is that normal? Also, would the overflow tank evaporate 1/2 inch in 3 months? And the block test shows positive for hydrocarbons, but i've been told that sometimes the block test lies. So, :??:
I have since found a reputable shop in town and to my advantage the owner is a mustang guy so I think my first step is to get a 2nd opinion on this block test and go from there. What do you guys think?

Being its a closed system, coolant doesn't evaporate. And wherever you are losing coolant, you are having air re-enter the system. So its just a matter of time before you overheat again.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
probably dont need much heat in CA but here is something to check: Does the heater continually pump out decent heat? A blown headgasket sometimes interferes with circulation and good heat will come and go. something easy to check. also smell the coolant tank. Blown headgaskets create a real "stink" exhaust and gassy like

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
from ford service manual,,,

engine cooling diagnosis and testing
https://acrobat.com/#d=u50ntExIRxyj8Q1DLkB9pw

no body said check you fan...

very common for ring to break ....is fan spinning after 5 cycles

heatercore is known for cracking...any moisture on inside of windshield?

if you didnt fill from burp plug...it will keep overheating...its common for some to take a couple of days to burp right,,,,

caution...dont just let any joe work on this car...it can break faster than you think...

seeing your new,,welcome...read more on car...see tsb for head...

Last edited:

twin62cobra

Established Member
The correct way to see if you a blown head gasket is to d0 a compression and a leak down test. You can also do a quick check of the spark plugs, if all the spark plugs looks fine you should be good to go. If you have one spark plug that looks clean or has coolant on it then you have probelm with your head gasket. The test they are performing on your car is inaccurate. I know first hand about the test they are proforming and most of the time the test are inaccurate, because most techs are too lazy to perform a correct compression and leak down test. It seems like you had an air pocket in your coolant system and when they replace your water pump they correctly purged you coolant system.

Last edited:

Paladin27

Established Member
The correct way to see if you a blown head gasket is to d0 a compression and a leak down test. You can also do a quick check of the spark plugs, if all the spark plugs looks fine you should be good to go. If you have one spark plug that looks clean or has coolant on it then you have probelm with your head gasket. The test they are performing on your car is inaccurate. I know first hand about the test they are proforming and most of the time the test are inaccurate, because most techs are too lazy to perform a correct compression and leak down test. It seems like you had an air pocket in your coolant system and when they replace your water pump they correctly purged you coolant system.

Ok, I'll pull all the plugs to see if any are contaminated. I'll just skip the block test then and just do the compression and leak down test, thanks for the advice.

Paladin27

Established Member
Well, did the leak down and compression test yesterday and found that my head gaskets are not blown, but have a slight issue with #5 cylinder a little out of spec the number was a little low 115. So guess ill have to deal with it until if and when I decide to re build. I have a slight coolant leak around the oil filter area which is why I've been slowly loosing coolant. Other than that car seems to be OK.

Blueline

Established Member
115 compression reading for cyl. #5? What were the other cylinders? Were you able to narrow it down to rings or head? That stinks man, good luck.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Well, did the leak down and compression test yesterday and found that my head gaskets are not blown, but have a slight issue with #5 cylinder a little out of spec the number was a little low 115. So guess ill have to deal with it until if and when I decide to re build. I have a slight coolant leak around the oil filter area which is why I've been slowly loosing coolant. Other than that car seems to be OK.

damn heads:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread