03 cobra vs 05 turbo GT

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
Ok guys, so my buddy just got a turbo kit installed on his 05 GT its got blow by racing "blower cams" and a turbonetics 62mm I believe. I haven't seen it yet but I know it made approximately 450RWHP 480RWTQ on 7lbs, stock bottom end. Right now I have my cobra which is pretty much stock other than an intake and mufflers. He has 4.30 gears right now which apparently are killing his power and not allowing him to get boost until 3rd and 4th gear. This is what he has told me, given this do I stand a chance with our current setup? And then once he gets 3.55's what will I need to do to my cobra to take him, stage IV port and pulley? What's some idea's because once my cobra see's his taillights, then its time for some mods!

XxSVTxX

Established Member
Kenne Bell : )

port might work if u have all the boltons to go with it... or port it with like a 60 shot, and u should have no worries at all!

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
With your current setup I'd think you'd lose , unless the claim of him not getting boost until 3rd or 4th gear is true , then you should be able to put carlengths on him before he'd start moving good. WIth a port and pully , I think you'd be able to handle it no problem

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I am not too sure exactly how the gears are killing his boost but I know if I had gears it would put me in the power band quicker. You are probably border line 400 high 300's. Can you win maybe if he is a shitty driver, chances are you are going to loose. I would think you would need power on the lines of 470-480 rwhp and torque to make it a drivers race. From a dig you can probably get out ahead in 1st and second but he would pass you by the end of third mid of fourth.

If you want to keep up with him eventrually you are going to need a twin screw or a turbo yourself. He won't be at 7lbs for long.

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
His car is pretty heavy too, so thats going to help me out. He has some big 18" wheels which are very heavy, and a 6 pt cage, along with a big dual sub box in the trunk.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
I am not too sure exactly how the gears are killing his boost but I know if I had gears it would put me in the power band quicker. You are probably border line 400 high 300's. Can you win maybe if he is a shitty driver, chances are you are going to loose. I would think you would need power on the lines of 470-480 rwhp and torque to make it a drivers race. From a dig you can probably get out ahead in 1st and second but he would pass you by the end of third mid of fourth.

If you want to keep up with him eventrually you are going to need a twin screw or a turbo yourself. He won't be at 7lbs for long.

turbo cars love winding out long gears:) helps keep them in their powerband longer

rio95cobra

Established Member
i would think a stage 4 port and pulley would make you two dead even. Add a full exhaust and any other bolt ons you can and blow him away

Last edited:

CobraRyan

Banned
At stock boost you can forget about it. On blower i raced a single turbo 05 GT with an auto. Stock motor, stock tranny. I ran him on his 10 psi tune making 480 rwhp. From a 40 roll i put 2 cars on him to 130.

mysticalsnake

Established Member
the new stage V port, 2.76/2# lower (or 2.93/4# lower) intake, midpipe, catback, tune will blow him away...some REALLY well tuned cars on about 14 psi of boost on the terminators can get you at the same power level and from a dig you should be able to hold him off, from a roll with decent gears it'll be REALLY close

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
At stock boost you can forget about it. On blower i raced a single turbo 05 GT with an auto. Stock motor, stock tranny. I ran him on his 10 psi tune making 480 rwhp. From a 40 roll i put 2 cars on him to 130.

So thats with your 509HP numbers?

Im sort of thinking of getting a Kenne Bell and setting it at 15psi because I believe thats what it can take with the 91 octane here in cali. With that im guessing maybe somewhere around 540-550HP? :shrug: Not too sure. But that would mean I could probably hold him off at like a 12psi tune if he were to run that high which im sure he eventually will.

CobraRyan

Banned
yep that was on my 510/540...on his 12 psi tune he said the car made 510 and with like 14-15 psi and c16 he makes somewhere around 600. And he has a 75 shot. Car is tuned to the point though.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
My car has K&N FIPK and Borla Catback, it made 409/385 to the tires. So in your current set up he will put train lengths on you (my new favorite expression).

If you do a 2.76, AFCO, and a few other supporting mods, you will make it a close race.

If you want to beat him do a port, if you want to return the train lengths favor on him do ported+shot. If you don't like him and want to embarass him, do a KB or whipple.

Remember his bottom end is a time bomb over 500whp, you can go well past 600.

THAITED

Established Member
Ok guys, so my buddy just got a turbo kit installed on his 05 GT its got blow by racing "blower cams" and a turbonetics 62mm I believe. I haven't seen it yet but I know it made approximately 450RWHP 480RWTQ on 7lbs, stock bottom end. Right now I have my cobra which is pretty much stock other than an intake and mufflers. He has 4.30 gears right now which apparently are killing his power and not allowing him to get boost until 3rd and 4th gear. This is what he has told me, given this do I stand a chance with our current setup? And then once he gets 3.55's what will I need to do to my cobra to take him, stage IV port and pulley? What's some idea's because once my cobra see's his taillights, then its time for some mods!
He'll run out of gear first you should be able to walk him. I read the article in MM&FF a while back and it said turbo likes 3.27 gears or something like that. The car stays on the powerband longer.

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I think he should have you as you sit. You will need some sort of modding to run w/ him. Even though he is heavy, your car is a bit portly too w/ the IRS and such. The turbo is going to have a hell of a topend charge regardless of if it gets boost off the line. I think you have your work cut out for you the way you sit. A small shot or some boltons will help you out though but, I see it as a drivers race then.

Users who are viewing this thread