03 Cobra vs 12 5.0 vs TT 5th GEN Camaro

whipplecharged0

Established Member
I went to the track yesterday to get some baseline times before I got retuned this coming Sunday. All day I blew the tires off until the last pass when I finally got my tire pressure right and burnout right.

But when I got to the track I noticed this silver 5.0 with a big and little setup, so it got my curiosity up and I wanted to see what was done to it. I walked over to his car and started talking to the guy. He told me the car was 100% bone stock and he had ran a best of 11.9@117 the last time at the track. I kind of gave him the whatever look and then started looking over his car. I could be wrong but I noticed the car had shorty headers and full exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5.0 still comes with manifolds from the factory. But anyway he wanted to run me so we done our burnouts and lined up. Tree falls and I launched at 4500 and blew the tires off, he jumped out a car but before I hit second I pulled back even with him and then from there it was completely over. I ran an 11.9@118 with a 1.9 sixty to his 13.7@110 with a 1.8 sixty. I think his best run of the day was a 13.2@111. Definitely a long ways away from an 11.9@117 that he said he ran.

My finally pass I got lined up next to a 1,000hp TT Camaro. This car looked amazing. We both cut a 1.7 sixty and he ran a 10.6@141 to my 11.8@119.

All in all it was a fun day. I got a kill and then I got absolutely murdered

Quickstang5o

Established Member
Because on svtp all ported cobras run bottom 11's and trap 125+:banana:

Ok buddy don't be a dick. I assumed he had a whipple (I'm on my phone). 141 trap is slow for a "1000hp" SS. And the 5.0 should have better times than that with a 1.8 60'.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Because on svtp all ported cobras run bottom 11's and trap 125+:banana:

Well like stated once i am retuned with my upgraded fuel system this Saturday I will be going back the following weekend to shoot for 11.3-11.5 when I'm not scared to run it balls to the wall and am able to spin it to 6500 instead of 5500. Plus this was my first true track day that I had to play with tire pressure and rpms to launch at so my times will continue to fall from here on out from what I ran yesterday. My times got better on every pass yesterday.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
I went to the track yesterday to get some baseline times before I got retuned this coming Sunday.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5.0 still comes with manifolds from the factory. But anyway he wanted to run me so we done our burnouts and lined up. All in all it was a fun day. I got a kill and then I got absolutely murdered

so you got underneath and checked the exhaust?

full exhaust is usually longtubes, etc.

shorty headers are stock....

13.2 sounds like stock...but a bad driver cuts a 1.8 sixty then runs 13.2.

whipplecharged0

Established Member

ok pal don't go being a smartass. i saw the shorty headers and did not know they came factory like stated in my original post and the car was a lot louder than factory.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Ok buddy don't be a dick. I assumed he had a whipple (I'm on my phone). 141 trap is slow for a "1000hp" SS. And the 5.0 should have better times than that with a 1.8 60'.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick at all.

Well like stated once i am retuned with my upgraded fuel system this Saturday I will be going back the following weekend to shoot for 11.3-11.5 when I'm not scared to run it balls to the wall and am able to spin it to 6500 instead of 5500. Plus this was my first true track day that I had to play with tire pressure and rpms to launch at so my times will continue to fall from here on out from what I ran yesterday. My times got better on every pass yesterday.

I think your times are ok, just on this site if you arent running the best times ever for a ported Cobra you'll be told you can't drive. I hope you reach your goal:beer:

whipplecharged0

Established Member

Oh and btw the way if you are going to make an attempt to be a smartass atleast get your quote right when you are trying to be a smartass about something. And I am well aware as to what full exhaust is.

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member

So what car ran slower than a stock cobra

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
Good runs. I think the DA there is probably on the high side too. From what I've read, I would expect the 5.0 to run a sub 13 with a 1.8 60'. I'd expect the 5.0 to run just a little harder than 110, too. Then again, I've been in Germany since they came out and haven't seen them with my own eyes at the track or anything. Maybe they aren't as strong as people say.

To the guy saying the 1000 hp camaro should trap higher, think again. If all you know about the car is that it made 1000hp, you don't really know much. That could be 1k at the wheels, or more likely 850 at the wheels, and an estimated 1k at the crank. Beyond that, is it on street tires? Is it a turbo car with a manual tranny that has no boost off of the line, and no boost between shifts? If the car is a manual turbo car, 141 really isn't all that bad.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Good runs. I think the DA there is probably on the high side too. From what I've read, I would expect the 5.0 to run a sub 13 with a 1.8 60'. I'd expect the 5.0 to run just a little harder than 110, too. Then again, I've been in Germany since they came out and haven't seen them with my own eyes at the track or anything. Maybe they aren't as strong as people say.

To the guy saying the 1000 hp camaro should trap higher, think again. If all you know about the car is that it made 1000hp, you don't really know much. That could be 1k at the wheels, or more likely 850 at the wheels, and an estimated 1k at the crank. Beyond that, is it on street tires? Is it a turbo car with a manual tranny that has no boost off of the line, and no boost between shifts? If the car is a manual turbo car, 141 really isn't all that bad.

I looked up the DA and it was only +400 something on sunday at the time i made my final pass. The Camaro was a twin turbo built 427 with heads and cam. It was a six speed manual with full interior as well as a cage.

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
A turbo 427 should be pretty easily capable of 1000 hp either to the wheels or to the crank. We still don't really know. Sounds pretty cool, though. The 6 speed is killing the times, though it's kinda cool to see a 6 speed big power turbo car.

Users who are viewing this thread