'03 Cobra vs E55 AMG vs Skyline GTR 33 vs Mach 1 vs M3: a fun night with some friends

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798
6th gear at 125 and you still were in the running?????

cant 3rd go well up into the 100s, like 110...?????

Actually, I didn't say I shifted to 6th at 125. Someone else posted that.

I did say I shifted early. How early?...i don't know. All i remember is i had a 3/4 car lead. When i shifted to 6th, both cars jumped forward about a car length ahead, then kept pulling.

I probably glanced at the speedo/tach once or twice during the run, but very briefly. I wasn't comfortable staring at the cluster during the run (who would be?!?).

Anyway, I guess its time for a shift light or something.

VeNoMiZeD

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalSnake
This past Sunday night, had some fun with my brother and some friends...here's who attended (sorry we didn't film this...):

'03 Terminator (mods in my sig...will dyno in two weeks)

'03 E55 AMG (borla catback, otherwise stock)

year? Nissan Skyline GTR 33 (Boost controller, I think he said he was at 1 Bar...400 whp, with 380 wtq)

'03 Mach 1 (my bros...stock)

'03 BMW M3 (stock)

Glendale, CA....

First Run: All 5 lined up (freeway has 5 lanes...from the #1 lane/fast lane to the #5 lane slow lane...line up like this: mach 1, E46 M3, Skyline, Benz, Terminator):

Honk on three from me...I see the benz get the jump, about 1/2 a car. I get on it, regain and take a 3/4 car lead. I can't see the rest of the group, only the benz.

The benz's front fender is right at the Cobra's side scoop. We were locked dead even until 125ish where I shifted (too early as everyone told me later) into 6th. When I shifted to sixth, I saw the benz and skyline shoot forward 1 car length immediately!

I was stuck at the distance till 155. From 125 to 155, the skyline had a 1/4 lead on the benz and was pulling hard taking about at least a 1 1/2 car lead from where I could see.

No M3 or Mach 1 bashing...but when we talked later, they were 5-6 car lengths behind. In all fairness, they did not hear my 3 honks
and got a late start. I don't know how much they would've close the gap to 155 b/c of the late jump (probably not much at all).

No excuse for my early shift into 6th. The benz and the skyline pulled very hard...impossible for me and my early shift to make up any ground (damn...I need a KB 2.4, procharger or whipple for sure!)

There was only one other run. Terminator vs. Skyline GTR 33:
from a 60 roll. I'm in 2nd. We go evenly and I spin like i'm on ice and short shift. He gains 3/4 car length at the onset (I thought he would jump ahead farther, but he said he was spinning all fours as well). We go to 130...I was shifting pretty good to 5th, but every shift he gained a little. Overall he was pulling hard. Had me by about a car length to 130...damn fast car.

BTW, the owner of the skyline is a 17 yo kid. His brother is the owner of the Benz. Very nice guys with $$$ to burn!!!

My impressions...Benz = sick azz car, borla cat back sounds understated but deep, interior is luxurious, flattest torque curve i've ever felt...overall, if i could have one car to cruise, race, drag...this one is it. Oh and before someone goes off about the price ($80,000), it is worth every penny.

...Skyline = interior is as plain as my terminator, awd still spins and still needs some clutch slipping at launch, when the turbo fully spools between 3200 rpm and 4000 rpm, the force of acceleration feels like 400 lb lineman stomped on your chest...just plain violent.

We took rides in each others' cars and everyone loved the Cobra as well.

Sorry about the long post...thought you guys would like it!!!

Merv

Sorry to be off topic, but do you have a picture of your car? I noticed you have 18s in rear and 17s in the front. Just curios to see how that looks. Thanks

jguerrero

Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798
6th gear at 125 and you still were in the running?????

cant 3rd go well up into the 100s, like 110...?????

Ive hit around 120 in third.:shrug:

6th at 125 wouldnt beat much,especially the ones he was racing

Users who are viewing this thread