'03 Cobra vs E55 AMG vs Skyline GTR 33 vs Mach 1 vs M3: a fun night with some friends

SoCalSnake

Established Member
This past Sunday night, had some fun with my brother and some friends...here's who attended (sorry we didn't film this...):

'03 Terminator (mods in my sig...will dyno in two weeks)

'03 E55 AMG (borla catback, otherwise stock)

year? Nissan Skyline GTR 33 (Boost controller, I think he said he was at 1 Bar...400 whp, with 380 wtq)

'03 Mach 1 (my bros...stock)

'03 BMW M3 (stock)

Glendale, CA....

First Run: All 5 lined up (freeway has 5 lanes...from the #1 lane/fast lane to the #5 lane slow lane...line up like this: mach 1, E46 M3, Skyline, Benz, Terminator):

Honk on three from me...I see the benz get the jump, about 1/2 a car. I get on it, regain and take a 3/4 car lead. I can't see the rest of the group, only the benz.

The benz's front fender is right at the Cobra's side scoop. We were locked dead even until 125ish where I shifted (too early as everyone told me later) into 6th. When I shifted to sixth, I saw the benz and skyline shoot forward 1 car length immediately!

I was stuck at the distance till 155. From 125 to 155, the skyline had a 1/4 lead on the benz and was pulling hard taking about at least a 1 1/2 car lead from where I could see.

No M3 or Mach 1 bashing...but when we talked later, they were 5-6 car lengths behind. In all fairness, they did not hear my 3 honks
and got a late start. I don't know how much they would've close the gap to 155 b/c of the late jump (probably not much at all).

No excuse for my early shift into 6th. The benz and the skyline pulled very hard...impossible for me and my early shift to make up any ground (damn...I need a KB 2.4, procharger or whipple for sure!)

There was only one other run. Terminator vs. Skyline GTR 33:
from a 60 roll. I'm in 2nd. We go evenly and I spin like i'm on ice and short shift. He gains 3/4 car length at the onset (I thought he would jump ahead farther, but he said he was spinning all fours as well). We go to 130...I was shifting pretty good to 5th, but every shift he gained a little. Overall he was pulling hard. Had me by about a car length to 130...damn fast car.

BTW, the owner of the skyline is a 17 yo kid. His brother is the owner of the Benz. Very nice guys with $$$ to burn!!!

My impressions...Benz = sick azz car, borla cat back sounds understated but deep, interior is luxurious, flattest torque curve i've ever felt...overall, if i could have one car to cruise, race, drag...this one is it. Oh and before someone goes off about the price ($80,000), it is worth every penny.

...Skyline = interior is as plain as my terminator, awd still spins and still needs some clutch slipping at launch, when the turbo fully spools between 3200 rpm and 4000 rpm, the force of acceleration feels like 400 lb lineman stomped on your chest...just plain violent.

We took rides in each others' cars and everyone loved the Cobra as well.

Sorry about the long post...thought you guys would like it!!!

Merv

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Next time, the AMG and Skyline brothers asked me if I wanted to race a friend of theirs who has a BMW X5 4.4.

Turns out it has a twin turbo set up. He wanted to join us that night, but we all had other things to do.

I'll try him next time...and I'll see if i could film it.

Merv

03cobratech

Established Member
To follow up on my last post. You shifted into "6th" at 125mph.. :lol: So up until 125mph you were in 5th????!? :shrug: What rpm do you shift at 4500rpm??:coolman:

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobratech
Sounds like a BS story to me...

Dave

Whats so BS about it? Besides video which I don't have, what kinda proof do you want...

Believe me, if I wanted to BS you 03cobratech, I'd come up with a much better story for you...sorry you think is a BS...

shifting in 6th, yes I shifted pretty badly, thats why they instantly flew by. They all noticed it...why would I lie about a shitty shift like that...

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
What is a plasma booster?

Did you really mean to say you shifted into 5th at 125?

plasma booster is like KBs boost a spark or any MSD ignition product. don't have the website to it, but if you search the forums, a couple of guys have it.

As it was explained to me, it makes a hotter spark so I don't have to keep adjusting the spark plug gap (?).

Oh and yes, I did shift way to early.

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Very funny...

I guess thats what that blue streak was that flew by (after I was braking!!!)...

Oh and tell 03cobratech how big of bullsh*t story it was Mark.

4CFED

Established Member
unless the amg had a chip - it would have fallen flat on its face at 155 - electronically limited.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
If you know those guys in the AMG and skyline, I wanna link up with them, I am 19 and go to glendale college. I have been wanting to race a supercharger AMG from 40 to 120.

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by 4CFED
unless the amg had a chip - it would have fallen flat on its face at 155 - electronically limited.

Well, i guess thats why he quit at 155 and probably why the skyline just kept pulling...

The skyline and benz quit at about 155...

The benz is completley stock except for the Borla...

Oh and if anyone wants to check these two cars out for themselves, they'll be at hot import nights (not my favorite, but our friends are in it!) in LA...you can meet the owners and all the guys that were racing...we'll be there...

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by KeefCobra
Sounds fishy 6th at 125- you should be in 4th until 135-138.

KeefCobra
449 RWHP SAE
445RWTQ SAE

You all make good points and good suggestions...I never said i was a great driver...actually in most races i've posted, i've always said that i am at best just an average driver...

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
If you know those guys in the AMG and skyline, I wanna link up with them, I am 19 and go to glendale college. I have been wanting to race a supercharger AMG from 40 to 120.

PM me and we can exchange info. These guys live near me and we get together usually just to shoot the sh*t, but they're always up for a friendly run or will just let you check out their rides.

Merv

Users who are viewing this thread