03 Cobra vs. E55

Almo

Established Member
Really that is an oversimplification for both cars. Power to weight, gearing, power "under the cam", quality of shifts, etc.

There is nothing really different about them.

You couldn't be more off... TCU stuff in German and Italian cars are night and day compared to American cars. One look at the cost tells you this not to mention the build quality.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
You have no idea what you are talking about and need to do some more home work. Stock E55s on the street have beat pullied Cobras since 2003 and there is vidoes out (since 2003) to prove it. YouTube - 03 Cobra vs E55 YouTube - 03 Cobra vs E55 Rematch!!

Comparing prices is worthless as well. You can mod the heck out of a lawn mower for half the cost above and a$$ rape a Cobra, bla bla bla.

I would take my pullied E55 over a pullied Cobra any day on the street from a dig and unless the Cobra has an ET on the back it will be down 3 to 4 cars at 120. On the track a Cobra shines because a tire can be run ridding traction issues but don't try and compare track times to street runs because I have $1000 says a typical pullied E55 compared to pullied Cobra even with a port is going to be playing catch-up from a dig and about square from a roll pending the speed and traction issues of the Cobra.

Bottom line, you're knocking a car you have no idea about yet say they can't because you haven't saw one. :shrug:

Full weight Pullied E55s on a DR have went into the 10s and lots of full weight twinscrew Cobras on just a DR manage to slip into the 10s and on the street, E55 is going to have less traction issues that make them shine on the street giving Cobra owners hell as they try to catch up.

Let me point a few things out man.

1. I never once knocked the E55. I gave it props in fact.
2. My intention is not to compare bang for buck, or price. Only mention the cost for my curiosity.
3. I understand that E55's in stock form can beat a Pullied Cobra on the street, obviously there are a few disadvantages. One being No launch control, non DR tires, and sometimes not so great drivers.
4. I totally respect the E55, and agree it is a very mean and bad ass ride.
5. I was once going to attempt to buy one , but due to them costing high 30's, that is too much. For high 30's, I can get an LS3 Vette, or a very new heavily modded C5Z, or TT Cobra, etc.

No hard feelings. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I would appreciate a little bit of courtesy and not have you insulting me by saying I am so wrong, and I need to do more homework.

I'm not one of these guys that internet races. I've been to the track enough, and have seen at least 4-5 E55 AMG's run and pull very impressive times. Not to mention my Blown 3V has beat an E55 AMG once before.

Now, if you would like to maybe set up a friendly, very friendly race, between maybe a Bone Stock one, and a Pullied one, I would love to see how my car stacks up against one. As that would be a learning curve, and it wouldn't be a youtube video of random dudes racing on the street, and we do not fully know the conditions of the race, mods, etc.

:beer:

-Chris

Deuuuce

Established Member
You couldn't be more off... TCU stuff in German and Italian cars are night and day compared to American cars. One look at the cost tells you this not to mention the build quality.

TCU as in transmission control unit? That falls under gearing and shift quality.

What do you mean by TCU? We're talking about comparing performance capability.

Almo

Established Member
TCU as in transmission control unit? That falls under gearing and shift quality.

What do you mean by TCU? We're talking about comparing performance capability.

Was speaking about the shift capabilities, Egear, Tip, F1 gearing with the use of paddle or button capabilities with great launch controls. Performance is performance but Germans and Italians have done things right even though you pay for it. I love American and love blue and the performance you get for the buck going American is very very hard to beat especially if you want that seat of the pants, lay your back in the seat, and cheeks to ear feel. Not to mention the Vettes and Vipers handle great. But, once you have really gotten a chance to drive the German and Italian cars you begin to realize why they cost so much and I keep saying "I had no idea".

Cheers,
Allen

Almo

Established Member
Let me point a few things out man.

1. I never once knocked the E55. I gave it props in fact.
2. My intention is not to compare bang for buck, or price. Only mention the cost for my curiosity.
3. I understand that E55's in stock form can beat a Pullied Cobra on the street, obviously there are a few disadvantages. One being No launch control, non DR tires, and sometimes not so great drivers.
4. I totally respect the E55, and agree it is a very mean and bad ass ride.
5. I was once going to attempt to buy one , but due to them costing high 30's, that is too much. For high 30's, I can get an LS3 Vette, or a very new heavily modded C5Z, or TT Cobra, etc.

No hard feelings. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I would appreciate a little bit of courtesy and not have you insulting me by saying I am so wrong, and I need to do more homework.

I'm not one of these guys that internet races. I've been to the track enough, and have seen at least 4-5 E55 AMG's run and pull very impressive times. Not to mention my Blown 3V has beat an E55 AMG once before.

Now, if you would like to maybe set up a friendly, very friendly race, between maybe a Bone Stock one, and a Pullied one, I would love to see how my car stacks up against one. As that would be a learning curve, and it wouldn't be a youtube video of random dudes racing on the street, and we do not fully know the conditions of the race, mods, etc.

:beer:

-Chris

Chris,

Some of the things you pointed out above you have proceeded to do in your previous posts.

I recall my buddy here pointing you toward LET Motorsports out your way if you want to try and tackle a few modded Es on the street.

You get a driver that will go manual mode and turn off the traction control from a stop and a pullied Cobra on the street is going to have lots and lots of trouble trying to keep up. Its all in the Es weight transfer and very little spin from a dig or slow roll.

Cheers,
Allen

Last edited:

C5Convertible

Established Member
Was speaking about the shift capabilities, Egear, Tip, F1 gearing with the use of paddle or button capabilities with great launch controls. Performance is performance but Germans and Italians have done things right even though you pay for it. I love American and love blue and the performance you get for the buck going American is very very hard to beat especially if you want that seat of the pants, lay your back in the seat, and cheeks to ear feel. Not to mention the Vettes and Vipers handle great. But, once you have really gotten a chance to drive the German and Italian cars you begin to realize why they cost so much and I keep saying "I had no idea".

Cheers,
Allen

Launch control is availabe on 2010+ model year C6 manual cars now. Comes stock on the C6Z. :banana:

And it WONT void your warranty to use it! (i.e. GTR)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wRW-Ysxck&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - The 2010 Corvette's Launch Control Explained[/ame]

Deuuuce

Established Member

Cheers,
Allen

We're on the same page. I recently test drove an F430 and it blew me away. I've had time in the 911 Turbo, DBS Volante, Gallardo, etc. They are in my articles and I totally agree.

However as far as calculating performance, my point was that there is nothing mysterious about them.

Launch control is availabe on 2010+ model year C6 manual cars now. Comes stock on the C6Z. :banana:

And it WONT void your warranty to use it! (i.e. GTR)

A fantastic feature and vid, thanks!!

NOTICE though - expert driving got a 3.6 0-60mph and the system produced a 3.65. Basically it means consistency and I'm guessing 1.8 60fts every time, if not somewhere in the 1.7s? Takes the guesswork out, huh?

BlueSnake01

Established Member

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Until cobra's owners see it for themselves in pure daylight, no one will believe it. By the way I just sold my E55 to get back into a 03 cobra vert, so I am by no means a Benz pusher, just stating the facts on both cars.

C5Convertible

Established Member
Wow that is great, about time. Looks like the TM control wont be much of a problem like it was on older Vette's. Too bad the Z06 & ZR1 are rumoured to be deceased after 10' :nonono:

The latest I've read is that the C6 line pays for itself so it's not going anywhere. Not sure about the Z06/ZR1. A 5 year run for the Z06 is fine IMHO. Most of the improvements will probably be put in a Z51 optioned C6. ZR1? I dunno.

Good news is the C7 is back on track! It was put on hold before. I've been not so patiently waiting for it! I like the C6's, but still like the exterior designs of the C5 better.

The C7 is going to look AWESOME! (Think the new Transformers movie trailer. One of them has a Corvette emblem!)

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Op_ what mods do you have? Odds are, you are a pullied cobra at best and you racing a stock e55 on the street would have ass raped you. How do I know this, because I just sold my 04 stage 2 e55 amg. Before that car I have had 4 terminators. Bolt on terminators with drags on the street will have a tough time beatig a bone stock e55. I have raced both cars on opposite sides of the coin, and if the cobra owner is not an exceptional driver on the street, he will be playing catchup. Now if that e55 had a pulley and tune, then that is more of a match for a twin screw cobra.

Ask almo, who to date has one of the fastest non ported non sprayed terminator 1/4 times and also owns an e55. I am not trying to bust your balls but when you make silly comments like that when you obviously know nothing about an e55, you will be called out.

All those cars in sig and none over 500hp? All the $ spent on twenty 400hp cars and you could have had a few insted at 600+...?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread