03 Cobra with 4.10 Gears!

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Anyone running 4.10 gears on their 03 Cobras? I was thinking of that, and then going with some ET Streets, etc. But Im worried about running out of gear. Im guessing 4th would run out around 125 mph with 4.10s right?

Also anyone running them, how is traction at the track on street tires? Im considering 4.10s but not sure. Either that or going w/ 3.27s!!

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
This is a good question. Dana wrote a nice little primer on this for me, and so I decided he is right and they are not a good idea. However, it would be cool to know if people are running them or not.

They might be a good idea for the slightly modded cars because it is unlikely that you would run out of gear. However, higher horsepower cars would probably require a shift into fifth.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
A customer of mine said he ran a 12.2 with gears and slicks and no other mods. If you can get the traction, a 4.10 would help with stock cars. I think it would be overkill on a modded car.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
A customer of mine said he ran a 12.2 with gears and slicks and no other mods. If you can get the traction, a 4.10 would help with stock cars. I think it would be overkill on a modded car.
Ill agree with this, no way I would consider 4:10's, traction is already a HUGE problem.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
I hear that. I think 3.73 would be a nice middle gear in-between 3.55 and 4.10.:shrug:

97Snake1668

Amazon Racing-None Better
Established Member
I have 4:10's sitting at the house waiting on an install. I have a 3.10 RR Pully, Exhaust, Predator, and Amazon Racing CAI. I know that traction is going to be an issue but can you imagine how much it is going to have. I put 4:10's in my old Cobra and it was the best thing I ever did. I may regret it someday but for now I am very excited. I will let everyone know how it works out.

Kris

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Ill agree with this, no way I would consider 4:10's, traction is already a HUGE problem.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Really now..

Originally posted by Derek@AmazonRacing
4.10's is WAY TO much gear

And exactly how many cars with 4.10 gears have you been in...?

Oh yah...I HAVE them in my car...

97Snake1668

Amazon Racing-None Better
Established Member
Joe,
How do you like them? I cant wait to get mine put in. Hopefully as soon as I get my GI Bill this month......he he he, using that good school money properly!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I think 4:10's maybe overkill as well. Now on a 01 cobra, for example, it dosent make any power till 4000 rpms. 4:10's would be a terrific mod there, but we have enough torque down low to not require a steeper gear. I think you probably NEED a sticky tire to take advantage of a steeper gear swap as well.IMO

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Joe King, what gear and rpm are u finishing your 1/4 mile run at? Whats the rpm at highway speeds?? What time of 60 ft are you getting? Please let us know...

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Re: Really now..

Originally posted by Joe King
And exactly how many cars with 4.10 gears have you been in...?

Oh yah...I HAVE them in my car...

my GT has 4.10's my friends GT has 4.10's

ive only seen 1 03 cobra with 4.10s. most ive seen still have 3.55's. i talked to the guy with the 4.10's and he said it was to much gear also

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
4.10s and Slicks was one choice. Get off the line and go!

The other choice, was Drag Radials and 3.27s. Reason for this was since the 99-01 Cobras didnt make much power until 4000 rpm, people would get 4.10 gears on them to get them to get rolling. However, in the 03 Cobra, we have a ton of low end with that Roots blower and when the Eaton spins up it gets more inefficient. So I was thinking, keep in the power band longer, make use of that down low power, and at the same time, eliminate shift time to 4th since 3rd with 3.27s would take you to 121 mph. It also lets you run easier tires like DRs, less stress on the rear while launching, etc, and make the car more consistent at running the times, rather than needing ET streets and a track do to it. You can do it on the street as well!

That was my thinking of going lower (numerically). The middle ground 3.73s sound good too, but I dont think I would do that as the difference wouldn't really be that noticable and the 3.55s do pretty good as is.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member

Guys...do a search on this..please

This topic has been discussed on this board at least 5 times...

They work great on the street..it is only 15% more revs...do the math...70mph is 2400..there is no magic here...next time you drive the car look at the tach & ADD 15% (any gear)...& you'll know how the 4.10's will be..2000=2300, 3000=3450 etc...its really that simple..

I don't race the car (I have a real racecar)..BUT...SilverSnake has run low 11's..so it WORKS!!

Yes traction is a concern..but if you can master the technique of throttle modulation you'll have it made...they really make the car SNAP...

I'm tired of all the armchair theorists making statements w/o having driven a car...its not a huge difference...I don't understand how people can say things when they haven't even been in a car w/4.10...

Last edited:

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
Here ya go....

That is the mathematical workout for the gears.

BTW: I did NOT write that spreadsheet. Someone on this forum did. I dont remember who. So kudos to them.

MightyMo

Established Member
hats off to the fella that did the math and thanks for the post!
BTW, National Drivetrain has the best prices on a 4.10 gear set
Lower gear ratio's can be purchased cheaper through automotive magazines MM&FF and 5.0 mag.
Hopefully, my 4.10's will go in early next week!

Users who are viewing this thread