03 Mach Vs. STI

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Going home from the gym i come upon a pretty nice STI. We ran 3 times, non were real clean, we both kept having to shut it down because of traffic.

First run was at 40 roll, he got the jump first, and then when I heard his motor I went, he got half a car to car, then I hit 4th and started reeling him in, then we shut it down.

Second run I told him to honk it off, and I dont know why, but I did the same thing that I did in the first run, I waited to hear his motor then went, I spun in 2nd at 40 and he instantly pulled 2 cars, I just let out.

Third run was alot better, 40 roll again, this time my wheels stayed planted, and we both went at the same time, we were side by side and soon as hit 4th I started to slowly pull, and he had to let out because he was coming up to traffic in his lane.

Like I said non of the run were real clean, I think I would have done alot better in the second run if my tires would have stayed planted, and me going on third honk instead of waiting for him to go first. Ohwell, was fun and defiantly a very nice STI. I dont know his mods, but it would stick and go. I do give the second run to him, the other two, when we were in it we would be side by side and have to let out. Seems everytime I got it into 4th I would start to creep. All in all two pretty evenly matched cars.

Last edited:

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
Does your car still make the power listed in your sig?

Its been over a year since i have gotten it dyno'd. The car feels like it runs just as strong if not stronger then when i did get it dyno'd. I have had a few other recent races, one was a 91 lx w/ e303, full exhaust, cold air, and 4.10's and i pulled him pretty good. That was a month ago. I guess this STI was modded. Either way, nice car, and mine held its own, i think if we could have wind out 4th i would have pulled him good.

BM1

Established Member
The only reason I asked is because spinning the tires in 3rd gear from a 40 MPH punch is hard to do unless you're running a very low gear on crappy tires. What gears and tires are you running?

ScottsMach03

Established Member
stock gears, but my tires are plain worn, i mean i have a little belt showing on one. Im getting new tires this week. With it being cold outside, the street is cold, so worn tire + cold street = spinning.

BM1

Established Member
I see.

It'll be nice when you get a good tire under there. 40 MPH in 3rd gear is outside of your powerband.

I run 4.10 gears and I'm right at the start of my powerband in 2nd gear at 40 MPH.

BM1

Established Member
Do you currently have those, or is that what you're planning on getting?

ScottsMach03

Established Member
I could have been at 50, I do know i was 4000rpm in 3rd, and thats beginning of my sweet spot.

BM1

Established Member
You'd have to be going about 65 MPH to be at 4,000 RPM in 3rd gear on stock 3.55 gears and 255/40/17 tires.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm trying to figure out how you've gotten your car to be at 4,000 RPM in 3rd at 40-50 MPH without a different gear.

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
word, my street tires spin for days (bald 315 sumi's), has something to do with the 4.10's though :D, get some et streets :)

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
You'd have to be going about 65 MPH to be at 4,000 RPM in 3rd gear on stock 3.55 gears and 255/40/17 tires.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm trying to figure out how you've gotten your car to be at 4,000 RPM in 3rd at 40-50 MPH without a different gear.

Hell i could have been in 2nd. Too much adrenelin at the time. I do know i was at 4000 grand when i stomped it, and the tires broke loose. Ill look today when i drive home see what mph i am at in 3rd at 4g's.

BM1

Established Member
ScottsMach03 said:
Hell i could have been in 2nd. Too much adrenelin at the time. I do know i was at 4000 grand when i stomped it, and the tires broke loose. Ill look today when i drive home see what mph i am at in 3rd at 4g's.

Yeah it's no big deal. I just wanted to see what was up.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Time to do a little bit of modding, upper/lower ca's, php intake spacer, and 3.90's.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Now that I think about it I was in 2nd, because i am at 65-70 range when im in 3rd at 4000rpm. I know we wasn't going that fast.

Users who are viewing this thread