03 ported cobra vs 418 g8 gt

whipplecharged0

Established Member
dang i hate posting from the phone. dang autocorrect owns me lol. you do not need the ET streets. you are running the toyos and that is good enough. if we are going from a slow roll I am not leaving the street tires on the car. I will make sure I hook and don't spin through second gear.

BayareaSS

Established Member
Looks like you are trying to get the advantage anyway you can. Just do a slow roll and a higher one. It will be a good race but I think the g8 will pull it out

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Just popping my head in to say hello. They brought it to my attention. And to the comment that I would be pissed at running 538rwhp with a 418 and blower, I knew what was going to happen. The 418 was out of convience obviously mismatched with the little 1900. I blew up my stock short block at the track going for the G8 1/4 record which was pretty slow lol at 10.72. I sprayed a shot a litte to big and didnt adjust the fueling enough to compensate.

When I went to rebuild all machine shops were 8weeks out on a rebuild and I didnt want my car down that long. So I called Texas Speed and took a shortblock off the shelf that matched my compression needs. I would have probably made more power with a built stock cubed motor with my new cam.....infact I know I would. On stock block and 9psi I was making 491rwhp. With the cam swap I would be in very similar territory.

If yall care to ask me questions feel free. I am an open book. Oh and just for full dislosure the dyno was done after a 300 mile trip and 5 consecutive pulls tweaking with no down time so the engine and TVS were heatsoaked badly. And it was also done with my FTI 3200 stall unlocked.

click on link :D 418 and Inadequate TVS1900 at 5psi

Just goes to show it's all about the combo of parts working together to make the power. I also would be pissed if my blown LS stroker made 538, no matter the circumstances. Should be a good race though. Post vids.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Looks like you are trying to get the advantage anyway you can. Just do a slow roll and a higher one. It will be a good race but I think the g8 will pull it out

Don't see how you figure I am trying to get the advantage by putting on my better tires. I don't drive around on radials like Daniel does on a daily basis. If I still had my Toyo radials from my old GT they would be on the car instead of these crappy street tires

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I got tired of every dang time I posted anything I would get a negative response from them

LS1Tech tends to be a bunch of ultra-fanboi blowhards. If you don't own or drive a bowtie, you are automatically a lower form of life.... so much for being an AMERICAN muscle fan.:nonono: (don't let my sig fool you- I love my Fords/American cars)

Anyhow- that being said I too have my $ on the Cheby. If it got those numbers heat soaked you will need something more to keep up with or beat him. I'd say you will need gears and or a baby shot (50-75) to win this one. Or you can stop effing around and go KB or Whipple- why leave room for doubt? You wouldn't have to be asking if you could beat a Stroked G8. You'd be talking about beating C6Z06's:rockon:

GL but I think he's got you.:beer:

ArkLATexan

Established Member
It is a fun little rivalry. I was happy for him when he stepped up to the cobra. Hell I drove him to Dallas to go get it. 03/04 cobras have my respect. I wish gm would have had a forged motor from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
It is a fun little rivalry. I was happy for him when he stepped up to the cobra. Hell I drove him to Dallas to go get it. 03/04 cobras have my respect. I wish gm would have had a forged motor from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if GM had a forged motor from the factory you would not be able to leave it alone for very long:poke:

But on a serious note. If you can video the other upcoming event for me if you can. I would love to see the results.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
If yall care to ask me questions feel free. I am an open book. Oh and just for full dislosure the dyno was done after a 300 mile trip and 5 consecutive pulls tweaking with no down time so the engine and TVS were heatsoaked badly. And it was also done with my FTI 3200 stall unlocked.

Very understandable why you went the route you did. Sometimes modding is about necessity and you gotta do what you can with what's available.

Any idea how much that heat soak was hurting your numbers?

i think that he would have more advantage with the auto on a dig race, not so much a roll race.

The 6-speed autos do much better from a roll than the old 4-speed autos. Probably not quite as well as a stick car, but it's not as much of a disadvantage as it use to be.

Tunink

Established Member
My reasoning is:

He made those numbers unlocked, and heatsoaked. He's an auto so he's not going to miss shifts. Plus bigger CI + Roots blower = instant torque, more so than what the 4.6 + the Eaton will do.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
My reasoning is:

He made those numbers unlocked, and heatsoaked. He's an auto so he's not going to miss shifts. Plus bigger CI + Roots blower = instant torque, more so than what the 4.6 + the Eaton will do.

I understand everything you said but torque wise unless a locked converter will boost the torque drastically he is giving up torque to me but I am giving up power to him. This may come back to bite me later but I have not missed a gear in the cobra yet. It is by far the smoothest and easiest to shift car I have driven, so missing the shift is not going to happen. I am sorry if I come across cocky with my beliefs in my shifting but I am that confident in my driving skills in this car.

Last edited:

Tunink

Established Member
All I'm saying is that I'm confident in the fact that fluid shifts faster and better than a human arm.

Flashing a converter will give his car a little bit of a "jump" per say, kinda like dumping a clutch.

err drrr you guys are running from a roll. Still money's on the G8.

Users who are viewing this thread