• Styling Bar

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • 4 Point Roll Bar

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Just getting a idea of what others would do in my situation...2003 Convertible.

I cannot get myself to drive with my kids in the car with the top down while not having one of these. I would feel a whole lot more comfortable if there was some roll-over protection. I realize if my car is rolling over, we are probably screwed but without one, I'll never allow them to ride with me with the top down. I can't get myself to do it....Probably irrational but it is what it is.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The top isn't going to offer any more protection if it's up. It's just weak metal and cloth. The style bar isn't structural. So it's not going to offer any help in a roll over. So that leaves a 4 point. Which creates its own issues as you shouldn't have anyone riding where they can come in contact with it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1.) Top up isn't any more safe than top down.
2.) Styling bar won't provide any structural support.
3.) 4 point will cause more head injuries in an accident (without a helmet), and will result in more bumped heads on a daily basis too.

I'd rock it without. Just don't drive like an idiot.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
The top isn't going to offer any more protection if it's up. It's just weak metal and cloth. The style bar isn't structural. So it's not going to offer any help in a roll over. So that leaves a 4 point. Which creates its own issues as you shouldn't have anyone riding where they can come in contact with it.
Yeah I’ve thought about all that….

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
1.) Top up isn't any more safe than top down.
2.) Styling bar won't provide any structural support.
3.) 4 point will cause more head injuries in an accident (without a helmet), and will result in more bumped heads on a daily basis too.

I'd rock it without. Just don't drive like an idiot.
I’m not worried about me…I drive like a grandma with them in the car. It’s other idiots.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
You're not irrational. Just want to protect your family. If you're that concerned about it, buy a coupe.

I've driven a vert for 13 years with kids and haven't had either ghey bar or 4 point. In fact, I very rarely think about rollerovers.

Drive it, have fun with your fam.

Oh, and FJB.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
You're not irrational. Just want to protect your family. If you're that concerned about it, buy a coupe.

I've driven a vert for 13 years with kids and haven't had either ghey bar or 4 point. In fact, I very rarely think about rollerovers.

Drive it, have fun with your fam.

Oh, and FJB.
Good point.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I’ve had both. Styling bars look great, I’d suggest one. Again not much safety. Will it help, yes slightly. It is a bent steel pipe inside the leather wrapped foam bolted to the car, is it the difference between life and death…no, I would not count on it. For looks, can’t beat it. I wouldn’t want a vert without one.

If you do a styling bar, find some rear panels at junkyard and keep yours. They are getting harder and harder to find in good shape without holes in them. I have 2 sets for this reason.

I run a 6 pt MM roll bar now. Definitely helps with the stiffness of the car. The door bars get old real quick. I only put them in for track days now. I did a rear seat delete with the roll bar because it is not safe to put passengers back there with the bar. Not only is it a real PITA to access the back seat now. Need to slide in backwards under the bar to get in there. The harness bar is almost perfect place for breaking passengers faces if you were ever to be rear ended. Not worth it IMO.

3DCD49F4-CB0C-4BC1-8EAB-2AABA6E85BCC.jpeg
D4482672-5384-427B-A378-790E364E0923.jpeg
4FAB1074-A2A5-4D15-B24B-ACEBA92040F2.jpeg
891C3886-26BB-4E8C-81B4-2D25FC35CCF1.jpeg
E0AE982C-00FE-4D37-8700-7510DFEDB642.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Styling bar provides no protection in a roll-over! Plain and simple.

@2003RedfireVert, you really have only two options. Stick with what you have and continue to drive carefully, or consider selling your convertible and buying a coupe. The coupe will bring you more peace of mind if you're fixated on ultimate protection for your family. I would only consider a styling/light bar in your convertible for eye appeal. Not for safety!

03' White Snake

Established Member
Styling bar provides no protection in a roll-over! Plain and simple.

@2003RedfireVert, you really have only two options. Stick with what you have and continue to drive carefully, or consider selling your convertible and buying a coupe. The coupe will bring you more peace of mind if you're fixated on ultimate protection for your family. I would only consider a styling/light bar in your convertible for eye appeal. Not for safety!
Bob, sorry to disagree. But they do help. Would I rely on it. Hell no! That’s not what it’s designed for. This subject has been beaten to death over the years.

B1155CB0-FD85-4D5E-9BCB-8795201FD44B.jpeg
532DDA8E-BCE6-439C-839E-2CCACFCC716D.jpeg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it's funny but before i got a styling bar my local drag strip would boot me or tell me to slow down. after i got one, they never said a word. i'm sure their techs knew it wasn't nhra-legal, but i think it was the fact that at least SOMETHING was there.

it definitely makes a vert look better with the top down.

and one other bad thing about having a roll bar in a street car (besides the danger already mentioned), is that with an nhra-legal roll bar you cannot recline the seats any more because of the welded cross bar. with the side bars at least they are removable so you can get in and out easier, but that cross bar needs to be welded in. gotta be able to recline man!

Users who are viewing this thread