03 vs. Z06 on another forum

jasil

Established Member
The only thing a equal about a cobra and a vette is straight line acceleration. Everything else a vette will win and continue to win when money is thrown at the two.

Cobras are fast and above average at everything else at a great price.

Corvettes are fast at everything at a greater price.

Vipers are faster at everything at a even greater price.

You could always buy a fox body for $500 and put 30,000 in it a run circles around all of them right!! Price doesn't matter just admit it VIPERS<CORVETTES<COBRAS for a all around sports car.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
This is a trip...the debate never ends...

I'll throw my .02 cents in...I've been a mustang fan for a long time back since the only thing I could afford was my 92 notchback that got me through grad school. Since then I've had a 99 cobra vert and a blown 97 vert. After that I tried on a z06 for about six months. I got it for a great price and sold it before thier values went in the toilet.

When I had the Z I noticed there was not the same "love" with other vette guys. When I was in any of my mustangs I could fall into a 30 minute conversation no matter where I went with another stangbanger. The guy could be a doctor or a machinist...didn't matter.

As far as comparing machines goes, yes the z is faster than an 03, stock for stock and it is a more precise handling instrument and more refined overall.

I've only driven the 03'2 for the 1st time this past weekend and I like these cars alot. They feel bulltproof and the idea of 600rwhp for @ $6k appeals to me.

:rockon:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Roush, you posted the Z06 was a better car. No flame intended, but those kind of unqualified statements is what causes these arguments. What defines better? Does it handle better? Yes. Does it brake better? Yes. Is it faster? No. Does it have a backseat for passengers? No.

I don't have a problem with anyone defending a vette or Cobra. I know there are faster cars out there than mine. I know that there are bigger cars out there than mine. But to suggest one is better without qualifying what the criteria is...well that is foolish.

What's better? An Abrams Tank...or a Bradley Fighting Vehicle? A B-1 Bomber, or an F-15 fighter? An 80 foot yacht, or an 80 foot cigarette boat?

I assume your criteria is in fact handling and braking. Then sir, I say that there is a whole world of racing go carts that are "better" than Z06's and even Vipers. Some can turn over 2 lateral G's and do 0-60 in 6 seconds. So are they are better than a Z06? They are cheaper than a Z06, and carry only one less passenger.

The Cobra, "Better" fits my wants and needs. The Z06, while being a great handler/braker, in no way fits my wants and needs.

Plus, in an 03 Cobra, I can better burn the asses off most Z06's from redlight to redlight :burnout: And boy, they can be a haughty bunch in my experiance. I had a guy in an 87 vette boast in my face about the fact he has a vette, as if I should kiss his ring or something...and he is IN the racing engine design program at UCF!!! Unbelievable.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
Roush, you posted the Z06 was a better car. No flame intended, but those kind of unqualified statements is what causes these arguments

He owns both. You cant get more qualified than that. If you put a bone stock '03 Cobra against a bone stock '03 Z06 the Z06 will come out on top in every area because its supposed to. Its better in all performance categories out of the box. Whether its better for the purchaser is a matter of needs and personal taste. A $35K performance car wont compete with a $53K performance car. Get over it.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
He owns both. You cant get more qualified than that. If you put a bone stock '03 Cobra against a bone stock '03 Z06 the Z06 will come out on top in every area because its supposed to. Its better in all performance categories out of the box. Whether its better for the purchaser is a matter of needs and personal taste. A $35K performance car wont compete with a $53K performance car. Get over it.

Exactly what Shanker wrote. In any case my statement is that the "Z06 is the all around better of the two - stock vs stock."

In my own words here: Click me

Last edited:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
I didn't claim it would shanker. I just said that I disagreed with the blanket statement that it is better.

It depends on your criteria of better. It doesn't matter if he has one of everycar ever made. I only asked that he clarify "better."

In the criteria he listed, it is better. In the criteria I listed, I think the Snake is better. I certainly think it is better looking. But that is a matter of opinion.

I also disagree that the Zo6 is the best bang for the buck there is. I think the GT may be more B4B. It seems to hold well with $500,000 cars well (Enzo) for a fraction of the cost.

KzooGTX

Blah blah blah . . . blah

Why is it that all "X" versus "Y" discussions turn into the dimwits battling for bandwidth? I for one was a bit taken back the amount of cynicism on BOTH sides of this discussion - and while it is unusual for me to get involved in the turf topics . . . I felt obliged this time.

Let me start out with my bias so no one can accuse me of hiding the truth: I absolutely love my 2001 Corvette Convertible!! It is the car that I had been wanting to by for a number of years - and the one I promised to buy once I graduated from medical school. It is fast, sexy, and conspicuous - which was imporant to me. It also allowed me to fulfill a lifelong dream.

Whew . . . I got that off my chest.

Now, lets talk about your beloved '03+ Cobras, shall we???

Pound for pound, I think the Cobra represents true american muscle. This is THE car from the US that best represents muscle car performance, styling, and history. I love the howl of the M112 - nothing like it (except the same blower on the Lightning, or on a Magnusson Ligenfelter). It is SOOO much sexier than my M90 on my GTX Ram Air. I would LOVE to have one of those.

Oohh - my GTX . . . I loved that car too. High 13 second 1/4 and a decent road car once I changed out the sways, struts, springs, and swapped the pulley, exhaust, rockers, etc. Big and roomy, yet quick - you shouldn't underestimate those grocery getters - I have seen a more than a few serious cars on the street and strip get surpised by my old GTX. In fact there are a few Supras out there that will think twice. I still miss that car.

Oh yeah - the Supra - now THOSE were some nice cars. Very modern looking with a stock bottom end built like a brick sh*t house! Man can those things be built for speed. I wouldn't mind having one of them, either.

Have you driven a new Mazda RX-8 - talk about a very well sorted out car. Light and niblr. I was VERY impressed with the handling and performance. While not up to the standards of some of the big muscle players, this car could sing around a road course. Kind of like those S2000s do.

Yeah - that four banger Honda. My neighbor has one. It is a BLAST to run out the engine to 8000 RPM before shifting. My neighbor Steve jokes that you gotta drive it like you stole it to really get the feel for it - but it is lightyears ahead of my vette in terms of interior quality. Super tight, quiet, but not quite the same as my C5.

Did I tell you about my Vert???

The reason I went through this mindless bit of diatribe is that I (like I suspect most of my Corvette brethren - and as expect most of you and your Cobra brethren) love cars. I would LOVE to have a Cobra, a Z, my Vert, a Lightning (I would realy like a Lightning!!) a new RX8, a TT Supra - and then a whole host of muscle and style cars from the 60's and 70's. I would love to park my Suburban next to my Minicooper (S of course) too.

But despite my ever persistent love for the automobile - my wallet cannot keep up - even with my income as an Internist. So if I cannot have all - I will own what I love the most or feel the most attracted to. For me - its my Corvette. For you - its the Cobra(or Viper, or Beetle, or whatever non-corvete people drive) I am a Corvette person - you are not. No skin off my back, no reason for EITHER of us to hang our heads or sit on top of a mountain. Sure my stock C5 can get around the twisties faster than a stock Cobra - it SHOULD for the extra money I paid. Put me in a head to head on the 1/4 - and I have the unfortunate fate of reading C-O-B-R-A on your bumper unless you miss a shift (that's usually my job, though - the 2-3 shift is a bi*ch with the manual shifter)

In fact - my car can pale to any number of other cars on different attributes. But it is the one I wanted and the one I pay to insure - so of course its the best!!:thumbsup:

I guess why I am boring you with this mindless detail is to get everyone to remember we are ALL car guys - we just like differerent flavors - which is OK. We all poke fun at each other's cars as a matter of habit and personal bias. That is what makes us different from people like my wife - who couldn't tell a Mazda MPV from a Focus SVT!! We all love our cars. We also don't like it very much when we feel threatened or insulted.

I see all of these comments on both forums and start to remember why I end up NOT hanging out on any of them much anymore and instead hanging out with my neighbor Steve. He KNOWS I can pound him into Tuesday in the straights and pull away in the twisties - but he loves his car (and loves to show off his much nicer interior, much nicer top, much less expensive supporting vendor costs, and polish his MUCH nicer quality paint) We can talk for hours about ALL of tha cars on the market and sure we disagree - but we are both cars guys . . . and car guys have different opinions. We never get tired of chatting and NEVER get tired of driving.

Remember what its all about now???

2001 Millennium Yellow / Black / Black M6
1SC, Z51, Mostly Stock . . . :rolleyes:

1675CF_Sig-med.jpg

Another Vette Dream came true thanks to THE VETTE NET.com

Last edited:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Remember what its all about now???

I never forgot GTX. I agree with you whole-heartedly. All those cars you listed can be "better" than any other on the list at any time to anyone for one reason or another.

That is the only point I was trying to make. :beer:

Now...maybe we should all argue about who the best driver on here is :)

Not it!

KzooGTX

I heard what you were saying, BTW. But I think he meant the whole Z06 versus the world exotic car community - where the Z is very well respected an extremely well balanced and great handling car in camparison to the $100K + exotics.

Not really a "budget car" though. Budget wise, I would actually lean more to something like the RX8 (~$30K) or even maybe an SVT Focus(~$20K). These cars are very well balanced in terms of speed, handling, simple ergonomics, etc.

But that's my eurotrash, simple minded C5 loving streak!!:rollseyes

As far as the better driver - Well it depends on which car I am in!!

In my Jeep in rush hour in Detroit - I am the Master and Commander (93 Jeep Cherokee with NO plans for repair!!)

On the drag strip with my old 71 Plymouth 440 Scamp - I was a bracket GOD!! Ran low 13's all day long (when it wasn't broken or getting ready to break, or in the middle of being fixed!!) My C5 is MUCH more humbling - hard to launch well in a stick! But on the local road course at Gingerman, it is like sex - tight and fast!!
:rockon: :rockon:

Thanks copper!!

edited fur not so hgud spellun!!

Last edited:

Friendchicken

Originally posted by Evil SS
I like to drag race. Thats why I sold my Z06 for a 03 Cobra and a dually! I know Im going to be bashed for this nexed comment...... My Cobra is the biggest POS i have ever owned. It ratles already plus the 10 or so "Normal" 03 Cobra problems. A C5 is a far better car that just happens to not have a DOCH S/C motor like are Cobras. Kia has a better quailty product than our stangs.

Most vette owners that go to vette sites are "show and shine" tools. While F Body owners on sites like LS1.com and LS1tech are gear heads.

I can appreciate that the C5 may be a better designed/produced car. I also think you have a troubled stang. I don't look down on anyone who chose american performance over rice bucket. It's all good. Obviously there are pricks and lifeless retards driving both cars.

:beer:

UD LOSE

I'd rather be blown.
Established Member
It's that competitive edge between the Cobras and Corvettes that I like. :rockon: I'm just grateful this is not another American vs. Ricer thread again. :beer:

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I'll take my fox chassis '03 over a vette any day. I was very much a fan of the vette..until the 03's came out. Cheaper,
almost as fast with a back seat!

To each his own. I do agree, being
a fromer import guy, the stang community is very friendly and laid back! :thumbsup:

BAD PNY

Established Member
Originally posted by KosherCobra
I had a 2000 6 speed C-5. It was a great car, handled great and had nice acceleration. Just remember there are 3 type of Vette drivers.

1-Has money and no clue about the car,just because it's a Vette it was bought. (mostly automatic transmission)

2-Has money and respects all cars but is a diehard Vette owner past, present and future

3-Has money and knows what he has, especially a Z-06, If it's a Z-06 he is still a gearhead.

Other then Arthur this is the only post worth mentioning. I am in category 3 although I don't know about the has money thing. I have owned a very fast, problem free 03, and sold it for the Z. I have been in the Mustang community along time.

2 completely different cars and I will leave it at that. It is funny how so many profess to know so much about both but have never owned both. Arthur posts and owns both and gets hammered... amazing.

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
The only cool thing I can say about Vettes, is my brother owns a z06 and we have tons of fun racing each other and talking about cars with each other and other people...

Unfortunately he is my only corvette contact and so my opinion is biased...

besides i'm genuinly and generally biased against ahoes anyways.

Evan

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
My opinion is on the vetts is they are a very refined piece of work well the new ones like the Z06. My buddy that bought a new viper and now traded it in for the latest style viper told me this comment why he didnt go this route. So it all comes down to what you like. He said his 99 viper was wild and felt like you really had to drive it. The new Vette just felt to refined and he wanted a muscle feel. So As far as cars there all great of course the lemon in any car. I was already to pic up a viper but the wife likes them but wouldnt want to own one. Hmmm Actually that s how I was swayed to the cobra. I wouldnt have gone with the cobra if the advancement in the Engine though.
We looked at the vets they are very nice but just allot of them and just didnt do a whole lot. I was also looking at a '58 vet but she didnt care for that and I couldnt find a 70 vet with a 454 and 390hp and 500 torq with pwr everything.
The cobra is a great value but it really is a blast to drive and took its place in history. Im surpised when I see others cutting down each others cars though. My thought is get them all and then I can argue with me, myself and I LOL.

Devil Dog

TOYZ, yeah I got some.
Established Member
I don't understand a Cobra owners preoccupation with the Corvette, these cars are not in the same price market, yeah a Cobra may take STOCK C5 in a 1/4 mile but you better not go over 120 mph because you are gonna get WALKED, a Corvette is gonna out brake, out handle, and flat out walk a Cobra on the top end.

And I own both.

Devil Dog

TOYZ, yeah I got some.
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
I was already to pic up a viper but the wife likes them but wouldnt want to own one.

Are you saying you picked a 03 Cobra over a 03 SRT-10 Viper?
:rollseyes

That is a 50 thousand dollar price difference, I know a few owners of SRT-10's and they would not even fathom owning a Mustang, I guess its kinda like saying "I passed on a Benz S500 and went with the Ford Crown Vic" it just don't compute.

Last edited:

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Originally posted by Devil Dog
I don't understand a Cobra owners preoccupation with the Corvette, these cars are not in the same price market, yeah a Cobra may take STOCK C5 in a 1/4 mile but you better not go over 120 mph because you are gonna get WALKED, a Corvette is gonna out brake, out handle, and flat out walk a Cobra on the top end.

And I own both.

No no you got it wrong, is the corvette owners that worry that a lowly cobra can take them in accelaration, heck even with my pulley chip eaton I could take over a Z06 pass 120mph and can get to 150 faster too. Cobras might not be slick as a vette but has the power to go insane speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread