04 Cobra Boost issues...Smart guys come on in!

taylorcrzy

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra with a 2.4 KB and and it idles perfectly on wide band. When you get into boost the car falls flat on its face. It will rev all the way through with no issues as long as you stay out of the boost. I replaced the fuel filter, FRPS, upgraded FPDM, and replaced both focus pumps thinking I had a fuel issue. Replaced spark plugs and re_gapped them as well just to be on the safe side. I used a scanner to go in and increase duty cycle on the pumps and the problem gets worse. Currently the duty cycle is sitting at 18% at idle. Thoughts fellas?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra with a 2.4 KB and and it idles perfectly on wide band. When you get into boost the car falls flat on its face. It will rev all the way through with no issues as long as you stay out of the boost. I replaced the fuel filter, FRPS, upgraded FPDM, and replaced both focus pumps thinking I had a fuel issue. Replaced spark plugs and re_gapped them as well just to be on the safe side. I used a scanner to go in and increase duty cycle on the pumps and the problem gets worse. Currently the duty cycle is sitting at 18% at idle. Thoughts fellas?

What about coils?
even being stock I had that feeling from them..

car idled fine.started fine , drove ok as long as out of boost..

I noticed car was harder to drive and felt a jerk that would come and go when trying to just creep along in high gear..

I found a member close by with a set to try 1st...

I also never had engine light come on for misfire yet it ran like crap

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
I am having the EXACT same issue! Only difference is I thought I had a fuel issue and replaced my stock pumps with dual 340lph pumps from Deatschwerks. I had my tuner put stock voltage tables in my tune and now the car doesn't fall on its face but now I am getting a P0193 code.

I have read that VMP recommends voltage tables be reduced by 1volt when their fuel booster is used. "For tuning, we recommending you reduce the Fuel Pump Voltage Table (under Returnless fuel pump) by 1-2 volts all over and fine tune from there by dataloging"

I ended up removing my BAP and added a black 306 modified FPDM with a wiring upgrade but again, I still have a P0193 code.

Here is my thread for the same issue.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...e-Car-falls-on-its-face-2nd-to-3rd&highlight=

And another member's
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...82-Help-Cobra-is-falling-on-its-face-in-boost

Please let me know if you find a solution!

Last edited:

taylorcrzy

Established Member
A tuner in Columbus Ohio did the tune and it's been running just fine since he did the work in 2005. I will replace the coils and see if that helps my problem.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Some of use were lucky and got ford racing performance parts set..

They were oem motorcraft ..they listed 299 for set of 8..I had paid 215 at ford....this was just before frpp went away.

These might still be floating around..

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
I am having the EXACT same issue! Only difference is I thought I had a fuel issue and replaced my stock pumps with dual 340lph pumps from Deatschwerks. I had my tuner put stock voltage tables in my tune and now the car doesn't fall on its face but now I am getting a P0193 code.

I have read that VMP recommends voltage tables be reduced by 1volt when their fuel booster is used. "For tuning, we recommending you reduce the Fuel Pump Voltage Table (under Returnless fuel pump) by 1-2 volts all over and fine tune from there by dataloging"

I ended up removing my BAP and added a black 306 modified FPDM with a wiring upgrade but again, I still have a P0193 code.

Here is my thread for the same issue.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...e-Car-falls-on-its-face-2nd-to-3rd&highlight=

And another member's
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...82-Help-Cobra-is-falling-on-its-face-in-boost

Please let me know if you find a solution!

I think I have found the cure to my issue. If you have a Boost A Pump turn it down or remove it completely. I ended up removing mine and retaining the 8ga power wire. I ran this into a relay and tied the relay into the two green wires from the FPDM. We put stock fuel voltage tables back into the car and will tweak them on the dyno next week. Additionally, it seems that my P0193 code was from an aftermarket FRPS. I put a FOMOCO FRPS in and the code hasn't come back. Ill keep you all posted on my FPDC on the dyno, on the street it looks pretty good.

This will buy me some more time until I can put a return fuel system in and be done with it.

taylorcrzy

Established Member
I don't have a BAP in my car. The FRPS is completely stock, but my FPDM has been upgraded for the focus pumps I'm running. I tried putting a stock FPDM in the car and it still runs the same. Coil packs have been ordered, will know more on Tuesday when they get installed.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
I don't have a BAP in my car. The FRPS is completely stock, but my FPDM has been upgraded for the focus pumps I'm running. I tried putting a stock FPDM in the car and it still runs the same. Coil packs have been ordered, will know more on Tuesday when they get installed.

What do you mean by "upgraded fpdm", is it modified to handle more amperage or what?

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
I know what a modified fpdm is...he said "upgraded" and not sure what he meant

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

I know this car. Very low mileage and I know the tuner as well, since he does all of my work. Hopefully the coils fixed it. Also, I'd recommend a new blower belt if you haven't done that already.

taylorcrzy

Established Member
I replaced the coils and the car is still doing the same thing. Anyone have any advice they would like to offer up?

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
When you say upgraded are you talking about something that can handle the extra amperage draw? You either need to switch to a dual FPDM kit or a Modified FPDM that will handle the extra draw the pumps produce. I am assuming you did the PPRV delete when you did the pump install?

http://www.black306.com/?page_id=13

This and a power wire upgrade helped my issues! My tuner also adjusted the fuel pump voltage tables.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 6.00.15 PM.png

taylorcrzy

Established Member
I installed a modified fpm thinking that the stock fpm was my issue, nothing changed with how the car runs. Yes I do have PPRV delete and it has been done for awhile. I will install the power wire and see if that helps. I just don't understand why the car has been running fine on the current setup for many years then all the sudden it starts missing and won't run at all if there is any boost. I have changed mass airflow sensor(found a broken sensor-4 sensor model), both fuel pumps, FRPS, installed a modified FPDM, spark plugs(3 times), and changed the fuel filter.

Users who are viewing this thread