04 Cobra Messing Up

blakea13862

Established Member
I just bought a 04 Cobra with 28,000 miles on it. The mods that i know about are cat-back flowmaster exhaust, cheap cold air kit, pulleys, and mabey a chip.... When i accelerate in 2 gear and 3rd (that i noticed so far) about half throttle it sputters like its not getting enough feul or something. I took it to a dyno shop and it is running a little rich any idea why its doing this.

HighPSI

Established Member
I just bought a 04 Cobra with 28,000 miles on it. The mods that i know about are cat-back flowmaster exhaust, cheap cold air kit, pulleys, and mabey a chip.... When i accelerate in 2 gear and 3rd (that i noticed so far) about half throttle it sputters like its not getting enough feul or something. I took it to a dyno shop and it is running a little rich any idea why its doing this.

Aside from that did you or the shop make sure you didn't have a vac. leak somewhere?

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I've heard of this happening to people, you might try searching on here how to clean your MAF, whenever that starts to get residue on it itll cause it to get the wrong Air to Fuel mixuture and cause it to cut out or misfire, most the time in during high RPM or deceleration, its very possible this could be your problem, atleast i hope for you lol, its easy and dont cost shit to do so its worth a shot

pianoman90

Established Member
Any more info? Like what was your A/F (rich could mean anything below say 11.0), can you post the dyno sheet? You also may want to check the plugs and look at their condition. Did your car come with a handheld tuner? Most of the cars that have been tuned will have the tuner with the car when they are sold. Did you buy from a private seller or dealer?

no. I told him about the problem and he just put it on the dyno and handed me the dyno sheet

Sounds like that shop wasn't too helpful. I've had my share of crap shops and there is nothing more important than finding a shop that knows what they're doing.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Any more info? Like what was your A/F (rich could mean anything below say 11.0), can you post the dyno sheet? You also may want to check the plugs and look at their condition. Did your car come with a handheld tuner? Most of the cars that have been tuned will have the tuner with the car when they are sold. Did you buy from a private seller or dealer?

Sounds like that shop wasn't too helpful. I've had my share of crap shops and there is nothing more important than finding a shop that knows what they're doing.

Agreed

blakea13862

Established Member
I will clean the MAF tomorrow and see what that does. Also I noticed a small circuit board with a small knob that turns from 0-7 and it says sct and rev 1 on it underneath my glove box but I followed the wire and it wasent plugged into anything. I wonder if someone had it dyno tuned at one time and decided to sell the car and removed the chip????

pianoman90

Established Member
Sounds like it had an SCT switch that held several different tunes on it. If the wires are not connected, that's probably a concern. I would get a competent tuner to datalog your car and make sure it is tuned appropriately. There is really no other way of being 100% sure of the car's current state. Custom tunes usually run about $400-500 on the dyno and about $300-400 for the handheld (you can always check the classifieds here)

BTW, throw up some pictures of the engine bay (specifically the s/c pulley, and crank pulley) and we can help figure out some of your mods.

Last edited:

blakea13862

Established Member
a.jpg

b.jpg

Last edited:

pianoman90

Established Member
The pics don't work and I don't have a Yahoo account. You need to save the pics to your desktop and then use imageshack/photobucket to upload them, then post them here.

pianoman90

Established Member
Just from what I can see, it looks like you have:

- 2.81 upper pulley (maybe a 2.76), somewhere between 12-14 psi
- Steeda 100mm Idler
- Looks like a UPR intake (http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-73/upr-5021-upr-03-04-cobra-cold-air-intake-kit.html)
- Stock idlers (other than the 100mm steeda)
- Stock injectors
- Stock Throttle Body
- Fuel Pressure gauge of some sort

Do you have a sound sytem/speakers/amp? Looks like an inline fuse along the driver's side fender heading somewhere. I'm not sure what the yellow thing is on the firewall, I'd need a closer pic. Also have you removed the driver's side trunk lining to look for a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump? It's a red box that is usually installed in the trunk behind the covers. With your mods, odds are you don't have one, but it would be good to know if you do.

The switch looks to be the SCT switch like I said. And the grey line is not connected to anything correct? Some people use the coin holder location and put the switch in this cover (http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-coin-holder-switch-1999-2004.html)

Last edited:

blakea13862

Established Member
no aftermarket radio amp or speakers the wires are for the aftermarket alarm that came on the the car. The yellow wire that is bundled up is for the siren. I looked for the boost a pump and didnt see one.

I wonder when the chip was in the car, if it was dyno tuned and removed could that be a reason it sputters like that.

Another thing I was looking at getting a jlt cold air intake. Is that alot better than the one that is on my car. Or should I just keep the one that's on there now

exdeath

Established Member
Datalog datalog datalog.

RPM, load, fuel, ignition, and AFR. Vehicle speed sensor helps too, you can see the point where the RPM is flat or climbing and where the vehicle speed levels off from loss of acceleration and see what the other stuff is doing at that point.

Have you tried just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to clear the VRAM or reflashing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread