04 cobra pi#@*ing me off!

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
so not only does it have a head tick, on the pass side, now i had no heat last night, started smelling coolant and was building pressure in the overflow (radiator not blower). possible stuck thermostat? car has about 43xxx miles on it. temp went up pretty high but motor was surprisingly cool still so that steers me away from water pump. not ruling that out though. any suggestions?

also, can the valve guides be replaced without pulling the motor? i dont hav a lift and no, im not gonna do them but i would pull the head(s) if it can be done with motor in car

thanks

Anabolic

Banned
well if you haveg a coolant leak, it's because you have a faulty/damaged part... hence causing pressure to build in system and losing heat...

1 pressure test your coolant system..
2 call the dealer and see if your car still can qualify for the recal on that head to have that taken care of..

a car is a BIG responsibility especially these cars, things don't always go right.. take your time and calm down and lets all handle your problem one step at a time

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
my car isnt eligible for the head issue because its an 04, been told that by 3 dealers and svt. ima most likely eat that one. i dont have a leak except from uder the cap on the reservoir that i have seen. i dont have a means to pressure test or a lift or a dry place currently cause of the bad weather we have gotten here. i thought maybe the thermostat froze or something maybe but it just wants to heat up the sensor and im not sure where thats located, may just be an air pocket doing that but its building pressure for sure so idk if the pump went out or not? happend all of sudden. its just been one thing after another with this car from the axle breaking (understandable at the track) to bad numbers it just saddens me. im prob gonna end up having the whole motor redone and a good tune. it is tuned and afrs look pretty good, butth is becoming a headache i cant seem to get rid of? i couldnt even get the car in the 11's managing a best of 12.0@119 (before breaking half shaft) but its starting to run terrible now and now this issue is just icing on the cake! sucks cause its a beautiful car with a lot of decent mods and low miles. must just be a bad seed......

Anabolic

Banned
everyone has those months. lol

sure your cap wasnt loose?
try filling the radiator up/overfill to level and then bleed the system of air, tighten the cap back up (make sure it clicks tight) after you give the car enough time for the T stat to open up (so you get ALL the air out) the fill to appropriate Fill levels

then see if it happens again..

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member

try filling the radiator up/overfill to level and then bleed the system of air, tighten the cap back up (make sure it clicks tight) after you give the car enough time for the T stat to open up (so you get ALL the air out) the fill to appropriate Fill levels

yeah im sure it was tight. i could hear it hissing when i first popped the hood, then saw it trickling out around the cap, cracked it open a hair to vent some pressure, then tightened back up. ill mess with it tomorrow but its freezing out and earlier when i looked it was full to the brim still, it isnt draining down at all its weird. i got quoted $6.5k for a full rebuild and a tune from a local shop thats well known around here. rather steep i think so if it comes to that ill prob sell the car. it should be sitting right now anyway lol but oh well its a car, collectible or not ima drive it, if its ever driveable again....thanks ill look into the cooling issue more tomorrow

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
well if you haveg a coolant leak, it's because you have a faulty/damaged part... hence causing pressure to build in system and losing heat...

1 pressure test your coolant system..
2 call the dealer and see if your car still can qualify for the recal on that head to have that taken care of..

a car is a BIG responsibility especially these cars, things don't always go right.. take your time and calm down and lets all handle your problem one step at a time

Please do not spread misinformation on this board, there is no head recall and there never was. There was a TSB for cars that were still under warranty.:nonono: Is this car still under warranty? Not likely.:nonono:

That is not good advise, you do NOT WANT TO OVER FILL. Overfills happen all the time accidentally when people open both caps at the same time and then try to add more to the crossover tube.:nonono:

Follow the burp fill procedure to the letter and don't wing it!

Before you do the burp/fill, use a fine flat file on the top of the rad tank cap area to true it up and look for distortion and unevenness because it is likely warped, after you know you've gotten it flat put a new cap on.

Then burp/fill correctly as many times as it takes 2 days 3days.. what ever.

Check for air at the cross over tube cap multiple times, WHILE THE RAD CAP IS CLOSED.

I know you are just trying to be helpful, but no answers are way better than wrong answers, so please be very careful about the answers/suggestions you give out.

Last edited:

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
thanks for the info and advice! i knew it wasnt a recal, i have several friends that work at dealers and knew it was only a tsb for warranty vehicles, my buddy tried to get me in but they wouldnt go for it. i will try the method and keep you guys posted on the results. thanks again

mach1033

Established Member
Don't let these things get to you. I'm sure that you don't need a complete rebuild. Also for 6500 what would be replaced and what would have been reused? That price sounds right cause there is a lot involved when taking this motor apart. It's not like the old 5.0 fox body days. Take the advice of what Jimmy wrote and then check back with us.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
since no one has answered this yet- OP- yes you can take the heads off in the car. It is difficult and time consuming but can be done.

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive done the heads in car and off...i highly suggest pulling engine,,,reason is all the debris goes to oil pickup screen than into oil cooler,,,,i should have taken pics of mine when i did it,,,this was after ford already did a replacement head in vehicle,,,

i feel if i didnt i would have blown up from low oil pressure after...

as to over heating,,,look around for leaking hoses,,,just the slightest drip will cause air,,

my heater core blewout when car was 2yrs old,,other issues are the fan blade breaking causing fan not to spin,,

thats all i got hope it helps

Anabolic

Banned
Please do not spread misinformation on this board, there is no head recall and there never was. There was a TSB for cars that were still under warranty.:nonono: Is this car still under warranty? Not likely.:nonono:

That is not good advise, you do NOT WANT TO OVER FILL. Overfills happen all the time accidentally when people open both caps at the same time and then try to add more to the crossover tube.:nonono:

Follow the burp fill procedure to the letter and don't wing it!

Before you do the burp/fill, use a fine flat file on the top of the rad tank cap area to true it up and look for distortion and unevenness because it is likely warped, after you know you've gotten it flat put a new cap on.

Then burp/fill correctly as many times as it takes 2 days 3days.. what ever.

Check for air at the cross over tube cap multiple times, WHILE THE RAD CAP IS CLOSED.

I know you are just trying to be helpful, but no answers are way better than wrong answers, so please be very careful about the answers/suggestions you give out.

please read my posts before acusations... i said fill the overfill tank to the appropriate level.... everyone likes jumping the guns on these forums...

i don't know what type of radiator you have jimmy but the ONLY cap we have is at the overfill expansion tank, my information is accurate..

Last edited:

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ima look into the heads this spring. As for the cooling issue, turns out water pump was the culprit. Had a bearing seal starting to let loose. Replaced that and the thermostat today, refilled after ok flush, topped off and everything good again. Thanks again for all the help

SVT_Troy

Established Member
please read my posts before acusations... i said fill the overfill tank to the appropriate level.... everyone likes jumping the guns on these forums...

i don't know what type of radiator you have jimmy but the ONLY cap we have is at the overfill expansion tank, my information is accurate..

Man what are you talking about, jimmy advised agaianst you because you are dead wrong! You are supposed to fill and check radiator fluid level at he crossover ONLY. If the overflow bottle is alittle low that should be the only time you open it. The overflow tank has nothing to do with level of coolant actually in your motor. His is a terminator forum so this is wih 03-04 4v motors.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
this is why I use a vacuum/pressure system to fill my coolant- no burping and zero air-plus it reveals any leaks you may have in the future

Users who are viewing this thread