04 cobra tick

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
Hey guys I think my cobra has the tick issue but not sure, i cant here anything when its cold at idle, just when it gets to operating temperature at idle. I just rev it a little above idle and the tick goes away. You can only hear it at idle when its all warmed up. I can only hear the tick on the driver side, I heard that it won't hurt performance in any way that its more of an annoyance than anything is this true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe if its the "tick" it should be constant. Cold,hot,idle,driving, ect.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Best bet would be to post up a video of it. From everything you said it sounds like it could very well be the tick. Can you hear it inside the car as well?

This is a quote from the Terminator FAQ's on Bob's site about it harming the engine:

"Will running a car with the tick result in some sort of catastrophic failure? Highly doubtful. It's mostly an annoying sound that you have to live with. I'm sure the worn valve guide causes a bit of inefficiency due to blow-by around the seals. I doubt it's enough to notice until it has been run like that for quite a while. I personally wouldn't and didn't want to live with it. Others chose to leave well enough alone and have yet to see any significant issues"

I believe if its the "tick" it should be constant. Cold,hot,idle,driving, ect.

From what I understand its more noticable when the car is warm. However it should still be there when its cold, just maybe not as loud.

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
I can hear it inside a very little but only with the Windows down. When its cold I can't hear anything only when it gets warm. I'll put up a video later today when I get out of work one when its cold and one when its warmed up

Last edited:

KJ04SVT

Established Member
Could also be a lifter not priming up all the way, more noticable when the engine reaches normal op team, oil thins some from heat.. Just another idea to think about as well. Mine has a slight tick as well when it warms up, not going to worry about at this time. The head tick is very noticable, you have a 04 so that should not be an issue on #7.

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
Last edited:

bodge323

Established Member
You have to click on the videos to play them. I would say no from the first video, but the second video definitely has some noise. It sounds like the tick but could be the tick from the injectors, hard to tell from those videos. Check this out, this car is ticking. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9HWyvavJM&feature=related"]YouTube - Cobra Headtick[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
I dunno, when I click on the video I get a new page with a question mark in the middle and nothing happens. I dunno maybe its my computer. ha

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Could also be a lifter not priming up all the way, more noticable when the engine reaches normal op team, oil thins some from heat.. Just another idea to think about as well. Mine has a slight tick as well when it warms up, not going to worry about at this time. The head tick is very noticable, you have a 04 so that should not be an issue on #7.

04's have had the head tick problem as well.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
photobucket vids seem to be working fine now.

1st vid i didnt really hear anything.

in the 2nd vid, the sound was heard best from under the car. although it did kind of sound like the tick, when the camera was under the car, it seems the noise was nowhere near as loud/noticable up top (near the engine). for some reason i was thinking that if it was/is "the tick" you would/could/should be able to hear that tapping/ticking no matter where you stand/put the camera. im wondering if maybe yours is something different than the infamous "tick" that is causing your ticking.

one thing is for sure...that loud tapping/ticking you hear when you put the camera under the car, is not normal...and definitely needs to be checked out.

edit: im curious as to when and what started the tick? did you do a couple of top speed runs, boosting in 5th then 6th gear....then afterwords, starting hearing the sound? what were you doing, or what did you just get done doing, when you noticed it was ticking?

Last edited:

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
Moko 03svt I got the car like that have never done 5th or 6th gear pulls ha I think at those speeds your just asking for it but that's just me. Anyhow its done it since I got the car like a year and a half ago I think pro ably the previous owner did some highway pulls idk. But other than that the car runs strong oil pressure is fine. I'm going to try and change to a Mobil 1 filter I have a fram one on it right now.

Blueline

Established Member
Moko 03svt I got the car like that have never done 5th or 6th gear pulls ha I think at those speeds your just asking for it but that's just me. Anyhow its done it since I got the car like a year and a half ago I think pro ably the previous owner did some highway pulls idk. But other than that the car runs strong oil pressure is fine. I'm going to try and change to a Mobil 1 filter I have a fram one on it right now.

when you change the oil, throw in some royal purple 5w30. see how that works out / changes the noise. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread