04 Ram SRT-10 vs 03 Lightning

00SVTStrike

Established Member
My first and only run so far was against an 03 Lightning over the weekend. (4#, JLT cold air intake, Ported Throttle body, Mafia, egr delete, Line mod, 4x4 pan, Offroad Pipes/Cat-Back, JLP tunes)..

My only mods.. Off Road Mid-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back...

From a dig I got out and stayed out, putting maybe a couple trucks on him...

Then two rolls from speeds he picked I slowly pulled away both times...

Now mind you I have owned a Lightning and im a fan, so im not out to fuel Viper truck vs L… but I was pretty happy, and actually did much better than I even anticipated. Sure if the L was on better rubber it would have been a better scenario from the dig, then again, I didn’t exactly dead hook myself.. haha.

The rolls told me a lot, and I was happy to have pulled in both those scenarios…

Hate me if you have to... But Im Happy overall!! :rockon:

Last edited:

Dark_5.0

Established Member
There was a performance truck meet at the local 1/8th mile track last year. There were lots of Lightnings and SRT10's there. The lightnings were on average a little quicker but a prepped track and the street are not the same.

I like the SRT10's and would jump on one if the price was right. Nice kills.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
I dont know alot about trucks but Iam not sure if a exhaust SRT 10 ram can pull a pullied L?
Someone will have to chime in ..

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
i've always known that the SRT10's with mods are about as quick as a lightly modded ls1 powered F-body. so i can see an srt10 chasing down a L.

burnzilla

Established Member
I watched a very similar race in front of me on the freeway about 2 years ago.
Takes the trucks a moment to get rolling from 70mph!

Nice truck and cool run.

Satyr

Established Member
I dont know alot about trucks but Iam not sure if a exhaust SRT 10 ram can pull a pullied L?
Someone will have to chime in ..

Since the OPs story had to deal with this scenario, my guess would be that it can be done.

Unless you are just being a tool... :??:

00SVTStrike

Established Member
It was never mentioned that it was pullied...

:read:

Where else do you think the 4#s came from? That 4# meant 4lbs additional boost.. ie Pulley. LOL. I know the owner and its the mods he listed, and ive seen her with the hood up at shows etc...

So not only can it be done... it was done! Haha! :thumbsup:

I take nothing away from the Lightnings, as i said i am a prior owner and probably will be a future owner... but these SRT-10s are not quite as slow as everyone likes to think..LOL.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Sounds like a bad running L. My 02L with an air filter and boost bypass ONLY never lost to a Viper truck. And by never lost I mean I would put 4-6 lengths on the auto SRT-10's and I raced A LOT of them. The closest race I had was a tie to a 6spd SRT10 from a 40-120roll. I seriously doubt that a properly running, bolton and pulley, tune L would lose to a near stock viper truck.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Where else do you think the 4#s came from? That 4# meant 4lbs additional boost.. ie Pulley. LOL. I know the owner and its the mods he listed, and ive seen her with the hood up at shows etc...

So not only can it be done... it was done! Haha! :thumbsup:

I take nothing away from the Lightnings, as i said i am a prior owner and probably will be a future owner... but these SRT-10s are not quite as slow as everyone likes to think..LOL.

I stand corrected. It's been my experience that when someone mentions a car is pullied, they say it is. 4# = 4lb, usually referring to the lower crank pulley. Yes, it does increase the boost... Just never... ever heard someone describe a pullied anything by the number lbs their boost increased by.

Now I can start telling people that I'm 3# with an exhaust. :thumbsup:

:rollseyes

Oh, and good kill.

Last edited:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Since the OPs story had to deal with this scenario, my guess would be that it can be done.

Unless you are just being a tool... :??:

It was a honest question dipdick...:shrug:
I didnt know much about them but after some you tube vids my question is legit. A pullied L should hammer that thing down..

Last edited:

Fastfords

Established Member
Case of beating the driver I would have to think......I guess I will have to look out for those SRT's, they must really be fast....

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcFy-vDXNiI&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Burnout Goes Horribly Wrong‬‏[/nomedia]

Just thought I would throw this in because it is so damn funny.....

Last edited:

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Case of beating the driver I would have to think......I guess I will have to look out for those SRT's, they must really be fast....

YouTube - ‪Burnout Goes Horribly Wrong‬‏

Just thought I would throw this in because it is so damn funny.....

Not "really fast" just not a garunteed win, never is... :beer: Love a good roast! LOL Funny now to be in the SRT-10 instead of the L during these conversations...

ever see the vid of the L at the track.. come out of the burnout box and drives into the wall??? LMAO!

Beat the driver in a moderately modded L? All he had to do was push the pedal down... especially from the rolls... I was in a 6 speed with flip flops! Good stuff! :lol:

Last edited:

00SVTStrike

Established Member
I seriously doubt that a properly running, bolton and pulley, tune L would lose to a near stock viper truck.

I could agree with this... not sure what the deal was... all I know if you pick a fight (race) you better be ready... and that includes tires (read: crying about spinning), tuning, etc... Ya know?

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Sounds like a bad running L. My 02L with an air filter and boost bypass ONLY never lost to a Viper truck. And by never lost I mean I would put 4-6 lengths on the auto SRT-10's and I raced A LOT of them. The closest race I had was a tie to a 6spd SRT10 from a 40-120roll. I seriously doubt that a properly running, bolton and pulley, tune L would lose to a near stock viper truck.

In every racing post you make, you mention altitude, yet you completely overlooked that factor here. An SRT10 is going to be much weaker in Denver than it is in Missouri.

kodycobra

Serious Boost Junkie
Established Member
I witnessed this run first hand. The SRT10 did in fact, take out the pullied L. From where I was, it looked like more than a few lengths though.

For what it's worth...This Lightning USED to run very well. Has run a best of 12.003. That was with the previous owner, and many more mods though.

Why is is so hard to believe that a precious Lightning went down? You would have thought this was a 03/04 Cobra kill or something haha!

And bad driving on the lightnings part EL OH EL! It's an auto. If anything, props to 00SVTStrike for rowing the gears, and not going up in tire smoke with his 22" rubber-band tires.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Why is is so hard to believe that a precious Lightning went down? You would have thought this was a 03/04 Cobra kill or something haha!

And bad driving on the lightnings part EL OH EL! It's an auto. If anything, props to 00SVTStrike for rowing the gears, and not going up in tire smoke with his 22" rubber-band tires.
You expect anything more from this place?

Good kill OP. Next time get some video. Surely a lack of 10 vs L roll race videos on the net. I'd love to see you rowing some gears.:rockon:

And to out run an L from a dig is ownage. period. It had a freakin auto:bash: At least there's not tons of anti L comments like on vtcoa ;)

tistan

Established Member
I witnessed this run first hand. The SRT10 did in fact, take out the pullied L. From where I was, it looked like more than a few lengths though.

For what it's worth...This Lightning USED to run very well. Has run a best of 12.003. That was with the previous owner, and many more mods though.

Because most of us lightning owners have raced several srt10 trucks with our pullied lightnings, and the outcome has never been multiple car lengths in favor of the srt10. Especially not from a dig. There is no way that lightning is running right.

Users who are viewing this thread