04 Termi broken axle at drag strip orlando...

ncaudio

Established Member
want broken terminator axles

Mike, sorry to hear about your broken axle, I am looking to buy broken '03 '04 terminator axles. I would have PM'd or e-mailed you, but that option isn't available. Please PM me if you don't mind, thanks

MikesCobra

Established Member
Mike, sorry to hear about your broken axle, I am looking to buy broken '03 '04 terminator axles. I would have PM'd or e-mailed you, but that option isn't available. Please PM me if you don't mind, thanks

The axle is being remanufactured, to keep the original ford part and keep costs low. I will be looking into an aftermarket set if this happens again.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Stay with the stock axles. You can buy several stock for the price of aftermarkets that will still break.

Buy from Tousley Ford.

Go bias ply.

May93

Established Member
I dont think Autozone carries a 31 spline axle shaft for $80.00. If so thats a bargain. My son ordered one thru Ford last year at $350.00. Get those drag radials off the car and go with a soft side wall tire to help absorb the shock. I'm surprised you didnt also break the rear differential cover! If you switch to delphin bushings and a heavy duty differential cover or brace the drag radials may be ok otherwise your troubles are just beginning.

Anabolic

Banned
level 5 half shafts break more often than OE. get the right suspension configuration, if you don't already, & the right tires.
you will be better off with the stock halfshafts

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Just nuked a right outer CV on Friday night at the strip. 315 MT ET streets on 18x10.5" AFS cobra reps, full FTBR bushing kit, and H&R race springs. Just bought a take-off half shaft from a 23k mile car on ebay for 245. Wheel hop is a biotch.

MikesCobra

Established Member
DRs are half shaft killers at the track.

I am super confused as to this whole tire bias talk.

The very first time I brought my car to the track I was told by multiple 04 cobra owners that I needed Drag Radials to get rid of wheel hop.... now that I have drag radials on the car, and a broken axle, I need bias play slicks instead ?????? lol Someone shoot me in the face.:??::burn:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member

The very first time I brought my car to the track I was told by multiple 04 cobra owners that I needed Drag Radials to get rid of wheel hop.... now that I have drag radials on the car, and a broken axle, I need bias play slicks instead ?????? lol Someone shoot me in the face.:??::burn:

The bias ply tires have a thin soft flexible side wall that absorbs the shock on launch.
Drag radial shave stiff side walls that shock the drive train on launch.
There are no guarantees of no breakage but I used to launch on slicks and spray running mid 10s with 1.5x 60' times and NEVER broke a half shaft.
I only had poly bushing on the sub frame and diff.
Also had a BF diff cover but that does nothing for the half shafts.
BTW- Do not do dry hops after the burn out.

See pic of my launch on MT ET Streets bias ply.

DSC_410220copy3.jpg

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I agree with Rick however, on the flip side, drag radials have come a long way. If you run a Nitto 555R, older MT's, BFG's or M&H's you'll likely experience wheel hop and eventually another broken halfshaft. The new MTs and the Hoosier drag radials are the best as far as sidewall flex.
Basically, with your current setup, it wouldnt hurt to run a 26' ET drag, MT ET radial, or Hoosier radial but no tire will "prevent" another mishap at the track.

MikesCobra

Established Member
The bias ply tires have a thin soft flexible side wall that absorbs the shock on launch.
Drag radial shave stiff side walls that shock the drive train on launch.
There are no guarantees of no breakage but I used to launch on slicks and spray running mid 10s with 1.5x 60' times and NEVER broke a half shaft.
I only had poly bushing on the sub frame and diff.
Also had a BF diff cover but that does nothing for the half shafts.
BTW- Do not do dry hops after the burn out.

See pic of my launch on MT ET Streets bias ply.

DSC_410220copy3.jpg

Funny you should say "Dry Hop" I think thats the culprit and heres why:

Upon my burn out on my second warm up... my foot slipped off the brake only a second or two into the burn out, naturally the car rolled forward, I let off the gas, went to neutral, stopped the car a few feet forward, put it back into first, reved her up and dumped the clutch in an attempt to warm the tires longer. As soon as I let the clutch out the axle went kablowwiiii....... Sounds like it was 50% an already clicking cv joint, and 50% operator error from not knowing.. we live and learn...:read::idea:

MikesCobra

Established Member
I agree with Rick however, on the flip side, drag radials have come a long way. If you run a Nitto 555R, older MT's, BFG's or M&H's you'll likely experience wheel hop and eventually another broken halfshaft. The new MTs and the Hoosier drag radials are the best as far as sidewall flex.
Basically, with your current setup, it wouldnt hurt to run a 26' ET drag, MT ET radial, or Hoosier radial but no tire will "prevent" another mishap at the track.

I have to agree with this post as well, so many people wont daily drive drag radials because of the side wall flex, I am NOT saying that slicks dont help, I can def see how the slicks would have MORE flex, lowering the chances of breakage, I am just saying I feel it was partly my fault and a faulty axle, combined with some really sticky radials made for a really bad recipe.

I will move to slicks from now on for hard launching at the track thank you all for the info.. I am sorry to have posted with such terrible news.. hopefully my next post will be about an 11.90 time slip.... to be continued....

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Jon is absolutley right about the new MT ET Pro.
It is the best DR ever.
Jon's 1.37 60' is awesome!!
I had a long chat with the MT folks at Bradenton.
The new ET Pro DR is a great compromise between a traditional DR and a bias ply slick.
When launching a stick car we are shocking the shat out of the drivetrain.
The MT guys said I should stay with the slick but the ET may work well but it is harder on the car.
You absolutely can not drive the ET Pro DR on wet roads. There is no tread at all but DOT legal.
Go figure.??

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Like alot of other people have mentioned TIRES can be difference between driving home or getting towed home.

I launch at 5k rpm with my m/t street slicks on stock irs.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member

This is correct for the STREET, not sure why anyone would tell you to use them to get rid of wheel hop for the track:shrug: Maybe they were assuming that since it helps with wheel hop on the street it would carry over to the track. Who knows why they said it or what they actually meant, but for the track a bias ply or full slick is best with IRS.

I'm gonna try the new MT ET Pro Drag Radial with my IRS and PRAY it's side wall is soft enough to flex and absorb the shock of the launch.

Users who are viewing this thread