04 Terminator is breathing again

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eF9wipAt3s"]YouTube- 04 Cobra dyno[/ame]
This is a not very good cellphone video my dad sent me since the car is in Vegas, but its what I have. This was the first day tuning on 100 octane. Car showed 21 psi, boost dropped slightly to 18psi through the pull. Initial numbers 652 RWHP/ 626 RWTQ. Nice part is how flat the tq curve was, which is kind of the trademark of my car throughout its life. 600 ft lbs at just above 2500 rpm thoughout the curve. Lot of folks get caught up on peek numbers, but the fact the car makes the power through the entire curve makes it pretty zippy. That and the power is right there as soon as you press the go pedal and it stays. Hard on tires, hard on your neck, and hard to drive. Tomorrow we try E85. Which will be my street tune since that shit is easier to come by than 100 octane. I will now have a flex fuel car at the flip of a switch. I know cars make more power, but this isnt the end all be all. Its a brand new motor and still needs to be broken in. Once theres a few miles on it, the Whipple 2.3 will go away in place of the 3.4 and Greg at RET will get a crack at it. Been a long process, but its almost done.

gabe1530

Banned
troy, congrats that shes up and running again. too bad you wont be able to bring her to the meet car.
once it gets that 3.4 on its going to be one nasty creature.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Troy, I've always admire your Cobra. Man, you're making some nice power. I had to laugh when I read you were prepping for the 3.4 Whipple and a new tune. Are Terminator owners EVER satisfied with the setup they have? LOL! Best of luck with the new setup when you get there. In the meantime, you've got one hell of a beast in its present state. :rockon:

Jefe

Established Member
Congrats! Its been a long time in the making. Youll easily be seeing 700+ with E85

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Congrats.. Where the hell are you going to get E85 around here?

divided

Established Member
Awesome numbers and car. LOL at you calling 650 RWHP zippy, must feel like a rocket ship.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Troy, I've always admire your Cobra. Man, you're making some nice power. I had to laugh when I read you were prepping for the 3.4 Whipple and a new tune. Are Terminator owners EVER satisfied with the setup they have? LOL! Best of luck with the new setup when you get there. In the meantime, you've got one hell of a beast in its present state. :rockon:

Thanks much. Yea I guess we never are satisfied LoL. Thing is the car is built for a lot more, so I'm just looking to get the rest of it out of it. The blower right now is the weak link and its running out of steam. I'll work on a mod list of whats been done with the car over the last year. Basically it starts at the engine bay and goes all the way back to the IRS. You could basically go to Lethal Performance's website and click on 03-04 Cobra parts. If it is there it probably has it plus some other things. Haha.
Congrats.. Where the hell are you going to get E85 around here?
E85 here are 3 locations close to me that I probably wont run out of gas trying to get to.

The Ocean Sider (via Pearson Fuels)
1660 Oceanside Boulevard
Oceanside , CA 92054
760-722-1304

Bressi Ranch Shell (via Pearson Fuels)
2741 Gateway Rd
Carlsbad , CA 92009
760-431-2741

Pearson Fuels Fuel Depot
4067 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego , CA 92105
619-243-0456

Website for all the U.S.
Growth Energy Market Development

I called and confirmed the ones in San Diego Area (at the pump) I am no stranger to having to track down fuel for the Cobra. If you need 100 octane I got a list for that too. In Las Vegas both 100 and E85 are readily available at Rebel Stations.

Awesome numbers and car. LOL at you calling 650 RWHP zippy, must feel like a rocket ship.
Thanks much, yea I try not to show myself getting too excited. The car put down 650 rwhp before on the last engine, but it took considerable amount of time and tuning to get it there. This one making 650 right from the get go, shows considerable promise. There's a lot more left in it. I wanted to break 700 on the 2.3 since not too many have, at least on unleaded gasoline.Like said before it should on the E85. Once again this was the initial "break in tune". This isnt the end all be all. It is the starting point.

Last edited:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
That's great you have close stations. .
If you had to - could you run regular gas in a pinch?

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
That's great you have close stations. .
If you had to - could you run regular gas in a pinch?

I guess if you stay out of boost, but I never really risk it. Usually when I drive from Vegas back to San Diego, Ill leave with 100 octane and calculate a stop in which I get 91, in such a manner that I show up to San Diego with about 1/4 tank. So the mixture is diluted at some point, but its not like the thing is detonating at idle or anything, but you never know who wants to play en route.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Well still fine tuning the idle on E85. At 18 PSI though put down 685 RWHP on a dynojet. Keep it there until the engine is broken in, then turn up the wick a little.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Freak thing happened. Was driving the car around to tweak the tune on 100 octane. Car was having some slight issues with drivability just of idle and the low rpm (below 3K) regime. Shut the car down to mess with the tune. Went to start the car and the engine wouldn't turn over. Hmmm. Thought the battery was drained. Go to charge it, same thing. After some trouble shooting come to find out the Whipple 2.3 was seized up. Well, the 2.3 is done. In the process of getting a 3.4 with the crusher inlet. Should be a few weeks and I'll already be in Afghanistan, but should have new numbers soon. Looking for 26-28 psi on the 3.4. Gives me something to look forward to when I get home in about 7 months. The blower seizing was definately not something I expected though.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Wow! Have you pulled the Whipple apart yet? What seized on it?

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Wow! Have you pulled the Whipple apart yet? What seized on it?

Pulled the snout off. No issues there, it is inside the blower. If it was just the snout would have been quick fix. There's definately something going on in there (or not going on). Talked to Whipple and it would be $1800 to replace rotors and maybe more if there was more wrong. So I decided I'm not going to fork over $1800 to fix a blower that I planned on replacing in the next few months anyway. I was just trying to break 700 on 100 octane on the 2.3 before going 3.4 which it should have no problem doing it. I just haven't heard of too many going over 700 on a 2.3. At least not without running E85 or hitting it with nitrous.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Cell phone pics as car sits today.

Battery Cutoff
batterycutoff.jpg

Engine Bay with broken blower
enginebay.jpg

And the Fuel Regulator. Fits better since the battery is now over the rear passenger side tire.
fpr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread