04 whipple cobra wont stay running HELP PLEASE!!

ds98formula

Slowest car on the net
Established Member
MY brother has an 04 whippled cobra, the car wont stay running. As soon as i start it, it immediately dies unless i hold in the gas (even just a tiny bit of gas), as soon as i let off the gas it dies, the car sounds 100% normal while holdiong in throttle. It does have a strong gas smell and some smoke coming out exhaust when reving.

What ive tried so far;

reflashed my tune back into the car

replaced the IAC and the TPS

checked voltage with just the key on to TPS, MAF, and IAC, all voltages are good.

If i get on the red wire of the IAC, and turn the key to the run position, i have 12 volts to ground, when i start the car with gas held in it has 13.5 to 14 volts to ground***, not sure if thats normal i thought the voltage was supposed to drop at idle to 8 volts an go up to around 10.3 when reving it up.

went over all the vacuum lines three times, pulled the whipple and checked the lower intake hose.

I unplugged the diablo and plugged the maf sensor in directly it ran even worse so i dont think the maf or diablo has a problem (maf is getting 12 volts with key on)

unplugged FRPS and started car, it threw the frps code with no change.

IM OUT OF IDEAS OF WHAT ELSE TO CHECK, AND OPEN FOR ANY HELP!!
It seems like its something stupid holding me out.:shrug::shrug:

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
Try holding the iac clip in or wiggle it while someone starts it my blue cobra acts up with that same issue

ds98formula

Slowest car on the net
Established Member
i replaced the IAC valve with a new one with no change at all.. ill try wiggling the connection on the iac but im still not sure about the voltages that i was getting to the iac after starting

key on i got 12 volts

started and reving the car i have 13.5 to 14 volts going to the iac, i thought i should be seeing 8 to 10 volts

ds98formula

Slowest car on the net
Established Member
FRPS is getting five volts with the key on, and i unbolted it and inspected it, the diaphram seems fine and isnt broke.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Have you thought about checking the spark plugs? I know the FRPS looked good but do you smell gas in any of the vacuum lines when you pull them off? Try cleaning the MAF. Anything done to the car recently?

Mystic03

Established Member
Have you thought about checking the spark plugs? I know the FRPS looked good but do you smell gas in any of the vacuum lines when you pull them off? Try cleaning the MAF. Anything done to the car recently?

if frps was blown car wouldnt even attempt to start since plugs wuld be fouled and fuel be in the CC and risk a hydrolock.

ds98formula

Slowest car on the net
Established Member
the vacuum lines are dry but they do smell like gas faintly

i broke one of my cam bolts and it blasted off out of the side of my valve cover, so i did have both of the valve covers off replacing all the cam bolts with ARP bolts and loctite, i drove the car home a few blocks after the bolt broke it ran just fine until i took it apart and put it back together again.

TRBO VNM

if frps was blown car wouldnt even attempt to start since plugs wuld be fouled and fuel be in the CC and risk a hydrolock.

Incorrect. You can unplug the sensor and typically it does start and you can drive it a short distance, but not recommended

the vacuum lines are dry but they do smell like gas faintly

i broke one of my cam bolts and it blasted off out of the side of my valve cover, so i did have both of the valve covers off replacing all the cam bolts with ARP bolts and loctite, i drove the car home a few blocks after the bolt broke it ran just fine until i took it apart and put it back together again.

Did you check timing? Chain could have easily jumped teeth. I have seen this happen and wipe out valves/pistons.

ds98formula

Slowest car on the net
Established Member
Incorrect. You can unplug the sensor and typically it does start and you can drive it a short distance, but not recommended

Did you check timing? Chain could have easily jumped teeth. I have seen this happen and wipe out valves/pistons.

Im praying timimg didnt jump, i drove the car a few blocks before i even realized the the cam bolt blasted out of the valve cover, the chain and cam gear were completly intact when i realized that the cam bolt snapped and ejected, everything was still in place and ran smooth, I figured if the timimg jumped, the chain and cam gear/cam would have physical damage, or be out of place, i did a compression check only on the front piston (held to 125 lbs) and assumed the rest were fine thinking if it jumped timimg that entire side would have bent valves....

ill check the rest for compression tomorrow, if they all have good compression can i rule out timimg jump??

Thanks for the help and im very open and thankful for any help!!

Mystic03

Established Member
QUOTE=TRBO VNM;13154278]Incorrect. You can unplug the sensor and typically it does start and you can drive it a short distance, but not recommended

I am Talking about a "blown" frps not an unplugged frps

hotcobra03

Established Member
did you do compression test?

i had a similar issue with the stalling out..if i held gas it would stay running..

if i held gas until it reached temp it would than stay running...

problem was it lost 1 valve..cyl 6

we had no signs prior ,,just happened

ds98formula

Slowest car on the net
Established Member
im comp tested a few cylinders but not all of them, ill check the rest tomorrow, thing is it was running fine before I tore it apart, that made me feel it wasn't a valve or timing.

last time I had a bad valve it would start but just run like shit.

Tell me this..... if I do my compression test tomorrow and they are all fine can I rule out it being a bad valve???????????, I also inspected the followers when I had the valve covers off and everything seemed fine, I really hope I don't have to rip the heads off again.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

hotcobra03

Established Member
im comp tested a few cylinders but not all of them, ill check the rest tomorrow, thing is it was running fine before I tore it apart, that made me feel it wasn't a valve or timing.

last time I had a bad valve it would start but just run like shit.

Tell me this..... if I do my compression test tomorrow and they are all fine can I rule out it being a bad valve???????????, I also inspected the followers when I had the valve covers off and everything seemed fine, I really hope I don't have to rip the heads off again.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

what other damage was done ..hole in just valve cover?

how about the cam gear? chain? tensioner?

Users who are viewing this thread