07 shelby, 20k miles, for 31k but....

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
I'm looking at a 2007 shelby with 20k miles, original owner for $31,500 The only problem is it has been in 2 accidents. He's asking 36k for it but since he's my step dads brother he said he'll give me a hell of a deal. He's got a folder full of everything done to the car, it's putting out a little over 600 to the wheels. Everything was done at Paul's High Performance and it was all done right. He's had everything checked out at 2 shops and they've both said the car is good as it was rolling off the floor. He was totally up front with me about everything and told me about the accidents. He has about 6k into the car with mods. Super clean and you cant even tell it was in an accident. I'm just curious, how would you feel about this? Would you be leary about buying it even if it was in immaculate shape?

ModularFan

Established Member
Did he go through the insurance company to fix it? If he did and they reported it to car fax, it may or may not hurt resale value down the road.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I would be skeptical on resale value if you ever wanted to sell it. Are the accidents one carfax?

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
I carfaxed it and it showed up. I still kinda think its a good deal because the cars so clean but like you said I'm worried about a possible re sale in the future. Even if it was done right.

TorchMach

Established Member
I got mine 4 months ago for 36k with 5k miles. No accidents. Just a FYI.

but mine didn't have any mods other then Bassani axle backs that suck..drone all day.

2kmelat

Established Member
there is an 07 with white with blue strips. with only 3500 mile i know the guy and it hasent see 80 mph and never seen rain i think they want 35 for it (not a scratch on it)

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you are paying $5K less than one without an accident, how much more do you think the accidents would impact resale? Obviously, you can't expect to get a deal on this car then think you can sell it for same price as one without accidents down the road. How serious were the accidents? Simple R&R of body panels?

We need context regarding the accidents.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
really depends on what the accidents damaged.

if it was just minor body/cosmetic damage it would not bother me.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
From what I was told he was on the highway doing about 50mph and he lost it and the rear end spun around and he hit the median. It didnt do any damage to the hood, just the front bumper, maybe quarter and broke one of the front a arms. I can't remember if he said they replace the front section of the frame or they just straightened it. I didnt know you could just replace the front section of the frame. He had it checked out when it was done and the shops said it was perfect. The second time I think was the same scenerio but just the bumper needed replacing. Everything was replaced with shelby parts and done right. I wouldn't really be worried about making money off the car when I sold it in the future and I wouldnt be trying to get as much as an accident free shelby. I figured I'd ask you guys since you actually own a shelby. I could pay 5k more for one with less mods and a clean record but I dont really want to spend that much. Other than the accidents the car is immaculate. Garage kept, only driven on nice days. 6-7k worth of work done to it. I guess since you are the market would you consider buying a car like that?

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
as far as mods go it has a ported and polished blower and inlet. 52lb injectors. I dont know if those are stock. Dont know the stock size for the GT500's. Heat exchanger, JBA 3 inch exhaust, upper and lower pulley, control arms, lowered so I'm assuming castor camber plates also. He's a picky guy and has everything done the right way and with the best parts, bushings, 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, 2 sets of rear tires, front a arms and bushings...and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. He also has all the stock parts to go with it. Also keep records of everything that was ever done to it and always serviced by ford.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I wouldn't sweat it and it sounds like you know everything going in plus the price fits your target and it has mods. They don't have a full frame up front, it's just a removable sub-frame. BMR makes one for about $500.

If you had said he had been hit in the back of the car hard twice or t-boned at the door or rear quarter twice, then I'd walk.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Pass...

The prices are continuing to fall on these cars as the market is flooded with them. I have seen 09's with lower mileage/no accidents in the 35-36 range. I too had been looking at these as a possible replacement to the CO, but can't pull the trigger.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Too many straight examples available for that kind of money...consider the mods worth half of what he paid. $31k is not a deal.$28k is a deal.

Sounds like you want it regardless of how hard it was smacked around. But $31k is not really a deal at all.

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
I would pass myself. My 03 cobra was hit in the front with 5k miles on it and was fixed perfectly but i never felt the same about it. Kinda like an un wanted step child. Like it was said too many clean ones out ther. I would spend a little more for a car that wasnt hit FWIW

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
If work was done by a good body shop. Then it could be better then stock. Take it in somewhere like a body shop and look around. Also have the shop techs pick it apart. If it passes, buy it.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
I would pass myself. My 03 cobra was hit in the front with 5k miles on it and was fixed perfectly but i never felt the same about it. Kinda like an un wanted step child. Like it was said too many clean ones out ther. I would spend a little more for a car that wasnt hit FWIW

I know what your saying. I'm a rediculously picky person myself and all the little things bother me.

Too many straight examples available for that kind of money...consider the mods worth half of what he paid. $31k is not a deal.$28k is a deal.

Sounds like you want it regardless of how hard it was smacked around. But $31k is not really a deal at all.

I'm gonna take a look around. This kind of came out of nowhere and haven't really had a chance to look at the market but it sounded like a good deal. Didn't know about the accidents until I spoke to him.

To be honest I was actually leaning towards pass. I just wanted to put out there that the guy is very trustworthy and open about everything. I'm going to see if he has pics of the damage first. Doesn't say it has any structural damage on carfax. Just body parts replaced. I'm in no hurry, I'd rather have blue but theyr'e in the 36k range and stock.

Last edited:

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
If work was done by a good body shop. Then it could be better then stock. Take it in somewhere like a body shop and look around. Also have the shop techs pick it apart. If it passes, buy it.

He's my step dads brother and I trust the guy. He said he brought it to two different shops to look it over after the work was one. One was supposed to be the best in his area as far as frame work goes and they said it was perfect. He has proof of all this also. I'm gonna take some time to think about it and hopefully I can get some pics of it after the wreck.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
shelby5.gif

shelby.gif

Users who are viewing this thread