08 GT500 w/ worn clutch -- not under warranty?

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
Get a Spec P-trim and be done with it.

My clutch started slipping last month. I haven't even been able to get into boost since it started slipping because right around 2K rpm it slips and jumps to redline. I haven't had any transmission problems yet (knock on wood). I bought the car w/ just under 7K miles and when I hit 17K it started to slip after I dropped her into 3rd to pass someone. It's been progressively getting worse. I took it to my local dealer and they told me the same thing that "The clutch is regular wear & tear" which I knew. The thing is this. How can something this stout be going after 17K miles? Then you put a TSB on it saying during stop and go traffic, flywheel may distort. WTF? :shrug: Seriously! Who here doesn't drive in stop and go traffic if they've got a daily driver? I was disgusted w/ the dealer to say the least but I guess since my car isn't showing any other symptoms of the TSB. I can't complain. Could be worse I suppose? I should receive my SPEC P-Trim today and I'll install it this weekend and be done w/ it. Plus have more room to get wild. I think FORD has more than a few of us a bit pissed off. If you know there's a problem and it's showing symptoms. Replace it! :cuss: Ok, I'm getting off my soap box now! :beer:

-Robert

cheftjpeck

Established Member
I'm not sure about the Wazoo.........I belive the TSB from Ford is no longer offered to GT500 owners. A reliable service source told me yesterday that Ford will no longer do TSB's or clutch replacement. Hopefully my source is wrong but from what your stating, it must be true!
source is wrong....just had mine done the other day...several others I know are having it done

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Thank the all mighty HP God that my clutch/flywheel went out at only 700 miles and was replaced without any hassles. No problems since.

chuckstang

Established Member
This seems like utter BS to me.

Is it common to take your car in hoping for the TSB only to find out that they need to remove your tranny and inspect your clutch and flywheel before doing the TSB?

So, lets say they look at your clutch and flywheel and in their opinion it all looks fine and they put it back together. Do they have the right to do that? That is not cool to rip into a new car, wasting techs time and money, then to just put known imperfect parts back in the car that Ford has redesigned since then?

My car is in this exact situation, and I am trying to keep my cool and stay out of it and just hoping for the best but if I end up one of those where they rip open and examine the guts of my car to just reassemble the same parts, I WILL BE LIVID and I think rightfully so.

It sucks as it is to have to open the tranny of a new car and replace the input shaft and syncros but even worse to do this and not even install the new redesigned parts!

cheftjpeck

Established Member
This seems like utter BS to me.

Is it common to take your car in hoping for the TSB only to find out that they need to remove your tranny and inspect your clutch and flywheel before doing the TSB?

So, lets say they look at your clutch and flywheel and in their opinion it all looks fine and they put it back together. Do they have the right to do that? That is not cool to rip into a new car, wasting techs time and money, then to just put known imperfect parts back in the car that Ford has redesigned since then?

My car is in this exact situation, and I am trying to keep my cool and stay out of it and just hoping for the best but if I end up one of those where they rip open and examine the guts of my car to just reassemble the same parts, I WILL BE LIVID and I think rightfully so.

It sucks as it is to have to open the tranny of a new car and replace the input shaft and syncros but even worse to do this and not even install the new redesigned parts!
I guess it depends on the dealer....my dealer heard the symptoms as I described them....took the car into the shop and came back out 5 minutes later with it and told me they needed to order all the parts for the TSB...I have not heard of many people who had to have their car torn apart to prove the TSB....

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Usually the Tech is what makes the decision. But in some cases the Advisor and Manager will look into it further and base their decision off of that. If the advisor has a great relationship and trust with a specific tech in this field and the tech walks up and says...TSB XXX then we usually say OK! If the tech say.... Customer Wear and tear we say OK!

barstoolman

Established Member
I guess it depends on the dealer....my dealer heard the symptoms as I described them....took the car into the shop and came back out 5 minutes later with it and told me they needed to order all the parts for the TSB...I have not heard of many people who had to have their car torn apart to prove the TSB....

I was experiencing the same symptoms as the OP. Second gear was constantly popping out of gear plus, my car was creeping forward when the car was either idling with the clutch depressed or in neutral. The Tech took it for a ride..........the dealership was already well aware of the problem due to prior customers' complaints (way before the TSB finally came out in July of '08) and had all the replacement parts in stock including, all new synchros. The Tech agreed that my car was displaying the symptoms described in the TSB and the work was performed.

I truly believe that Ford and its dealer network are trying to back away from taking care of legitimate clutch drag problems due to flywheel warpage as a result of the current economic crisis the nation as well as the auto industry are in. If necessary, I would hire an attorney to handle this for you as Ford should not be allowed to shirk its responsibility as to making repairs/replacements on a known and admitted design flaw they let out into the market. How does a dealer even have the nerve to say that it is "normal wear and tear" on your clutch and that simply installing new clutch is the resolution to the issue??? How is a new clutch going to help you if the flywheel is warped and the synchros are already damaged?? Find a reputable dealer to take care of you and in turn, he will earn your future business.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
My car is getting the "fix" at Tasca right now, but they didnt just order up the TSB parts as far as I know.

What I was told was that they put a new clutch, flywheel and input shaft in it. I would hope and assume the only reason they did not replace the syncros is because they felt they were not damaged.

I have not picked the car up yet but part of me wishes they did replace the syncros as well since it is what Ford recommends in the TSB.

Question- If you have had the TSB completed or parts of it while under warranty and say a few years from now when your powertrain warranty is up, your tranny fails. Will Ford fix under warranty since it would be something that was addressed while under warranty.

I can't quite word the question properly but hopefully you see what I mean

thanks

DrTaco

Established Member
Wow, I'm in the process of shopping for a GT500 now, and until this post I had NO idea this TSB applied to the 09s as well. I thought it was only 07-08s. Is this a common problem in all years? Or more so in the 07s and early 08s? I can't believe some of the ways you guys say Ford has been treating this. Messed up. Thanks for the info

barstoolman

Established Member
My car is getting the "fix" at Tasca right now, but they didnt just order up the TSB parts as far as I know.

What I was told was that they put a new clutch, flywheel and input shaft in it. I would hope and assume the only reason they did not replace the syncros is because they felt they were not damaged.

I have not picked the car up yet but part of me wishes they did replace the syncros as well since it is what Ford recommends in the TSB.

Question- If you have had the TSB completed or parts of it while under warranty and say a few years from now when your powertrain warranty is up, your tranny fails. Will Ford fix under warranty since it would be something that was addressed while under warranty.

I can't quite word the question properly but hopefully you see what I mean

thanks

Replacing the synchros was added to the TSB later on......I'll see if I can find it. It should definitely be done!!!!!

chuckstang

Established Member
My car is finishing up, to my knowlege they have replaced clutch, flywheel and input shaft, unsure about syncros.

Excited and nervous to finally pick her up soon

cheftjpeck

Established Member
My car is finishing up, to my knowlege they have replaced clutch, flywheel and input shaft, unsure about syncros.

Excited and nervous to finally pick her up soon

Awesome!!! Careful pushing that clutch in for the first time post tsb repair... You can almost shove it through the floor...LOL. It is awesome now and no more left leg power lifting needed

07vert

Established Member
I just picked up my 07 today with 20k miles and i am worried about this TSB issue, clutch chatter happens sometimes when leaving from a stop. Is this due to me not giving the car enough gas or is this the tsb issue? sometimes it does it others it does not, clutch does not slip but does hiss a little upon disengagement.

I, however, do not want them ripping into a new car with no reason for doing so, just to tell me its nothing. I've only had the car for a day and am kind of worried, thats the only reason why I ask and I wanted to see what you guys think. Do I let it ride and see where she is in a few weeks or am I just WAY paranoid due for now?

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
WELL

I have an 07, drove great.

I am about as particular over my car as you will find.

I got the TSB done

So take it for whateve you want, but I have heard from very reliable sources that it is a known defect that will show its face, just dont know when. I could not stomach the chances of waiting and me paying $5k out of my pocket. I'd sell the car before paying for that crap.

I was going to just wait because I mean we have a 5 year powertrain warranty BUT I have yet to get confirmation on whether or not this TSB falls under the 1 year, 3 year bumper to bumper or 5 year powertrain or just indefinitely

chuckstang

Established Member
Awesome!!! Careful pushing that clutch in for the first time post tsb repair... You can almost shove it through the floor...LOL. It is awesome now and no more left leg power lifting needed

My car is slowly getting there.

Waiting on the freaking clutch, just the clutch, apparently Ford couldnt get it to them quickly enoungh. I am unsure what is going on at Ford but they found one at another dealer but will not get it till Monday :(

Tech said they found pieces of metal in my tranny so it was a good thing I brought it in!

I sorta feel like that would be normal though for a new car?

New syncros, input shaft, flywheel and eventually the dam clutch will be in the car :pepper:

Do you need to break the new parts in?

Imatk

Established Member
Must be nice to be able to get it done mine will probably die on the road somewhere because of it :(

Users who are viewing this thread